Divisional Winners?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
See here is the problem with this whole OT debate...we keep coming up with scenarios that prove one OT rule over another.

What's to say the team that is out on their feet goes three and out and gives away a short field position where the other team is already in field goal range?
At leas both teams would get to play offense in OT.

At leas both teams would get to play offense in OT.

And the Bills didn't?

Tell me how the Bills didn't get a chance to play offence? Not being able to stop a team is not a defence or a defense.

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The best proposal was on bill Simmons which was each team has the chance to score a TD - if the first team scores a TD or a FG then the second team must score a TD Or a Fg in less plays then the first team to win.

It makes perfect sense.

Sign me up

Lol. Sal laughed at him and pretty much told him it was a stupid idea, and it is a stupid idea.

Eh, does he though?
Ha…I don’t so I’m not best to say ..heard him a few times and sounded knowledgeable. Made his name on basketball I suppose I was trying to say

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle

Andy Reid: Overtime rules helped us, but both offenses and both defenses should play

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 24, 2022, 6:12 PM EST

When the Chiefs were on the wrong end of the overtime rules, losing the AFC Championship Game three years ago when the Patriots scored on the first possession of overtime, they proposed changing the rules that offseason. Today, Chiefs head coach Andy Reid said with a laugh, “I’m glad we didn’t change them.”

But even after beating the Bills on Sunday night without his defense ever taking the field in overtime, Reid still thinks the rules should change, and he believes there will be renewed interest in a rules change this offseason.

“That, I’m sure, is something they’re going to look at again,” Reid said. “I wouldn’t be opposed to it. That’s a hard thing. It was great for us last night, but is it great for the game, which is the most important thing we should all be looking out for? To make things equal, it probably needs to be able to hit both offenses, both defenses.”

The Chiefs didn’t get much support the last time they tried to change the overtime rules. Sunday’ night’s ending felt like a game that could cause a groundswell of support for a change

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
The coin toss winner gets to choose = clear tactical advantage.

Overtime in play offs it’s 7-1 to the team with first possession. See I used selective stats
I'm just posting all this to show what various people around the league think. Varying different opinions.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
100% and if the 49ers do I will be very angry.

At the defence and not the rule.
This is what I said to dad yesterday.

He said he would be livid if Denver lost in that fashion.

I said yeah, mad at the defence - not the rule

He said no... mad at the person who called the coin toss!

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah but they’ve put themselves in a winning position with 45 seconds to go on the clock - that’s fair game IMO

So Mahomes has 13 seconds on the clock in a tied game to take as much time as he wants to score a TD.

End result is exactly the same as yesterdays but we just skip the field goal and Allen still doesn't get possession again anyway.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The best proposal was on bill Simmons which was each team has the chance to score a TD - if the first team scores a TD or a FG then the second team must score a TD Or a Fg in less plays then the first team to win.

It makes perfect sense.

Sign me up

Not a bad idea as well.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So Mahomes has 13 seconds on the clock in a tied game to take as much time as he wants to score a TD.

End result is exactly the same as yesterdays but we just skip the field goal and Allen still doesn't get possession again anyway.
No? Mahomes has 13 seconds on the clock to take it to fg range otherwise they lose? With my rules suggestions they would have kicked the fg to tie and Bills would have started with possession

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
No? Mahomes has 13 seconds on the clock to take it to fg range otherwise they lose? With my rules suggestions they would have kicked the fg to tie and Bills would have started with possession
It makes sense that way. Team that scored last tied, so other team has the right of reply first

Not all OT scenarios are the same though are they?

It was pretty obvious that who won the coin toss was going to decide this (I called it in this thread even before the last Bills TD). In this contest, it was obvious noone was stopping anything. Yet the Bills still chanced their fate for overtime.

They screwed the kickoff because they were scared of a TD return. Their decision.
They failed to stop the Chiefs advancing the ball 44 yard in 9 seconds including a gawd awful late play where the DB allowed inside leverage for Kelce to run down the middle of the field and gain the yards after catch to get in FG range. Their decision.

They chose this route knowing the state of the defence yet still chanced the coin toss. They were complicent in every decision to get to that 50/50 coin toss. And they knew how OT rules worked beforehand yet did nothing to avoid it.

I'd understand the thought process if KC was the 85 Chicago Bears but they had the ability to keep the ball away from the best offense most have ever seen and every course of action did the opposite.

How does that set them apart from the other team that also failed to win in regulation?

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Here's my radical solution for unfair overtime rules: The home team must score more points than the visiting team. If the road team can level the scores, they win. No more tied games*. Simple. The home team enjoyed the massive advantage of their home fans drowning out the oppo's snap count & disrupting their timing for 4 quarters, so if the home team can't score more points, then too bad for them. They lose.

*Except for the occasional tied score in the Super Bowl... in which case they play an extra 15 minutes... and if the Super Bowl is still tied after 15 minutes of overtime, then the opposing quarterbacks play a game of Russian Slaps (sans helmets) to determine the winner.

Last edited:
Back