NFL 2021 - NFL Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Gaskin is a beast honestly, people don't pay him enough respect, just about everytime I watched the Dolphins last year he looked fantastic, not surprised they didn't add a RB.

Free agent S Malik Hooker is visiting the Dolphins.
The free agent market has been weak for Hooker, to say the least. He missed nearly all of the 2020 season due to a torn Achilles tendon but was a force on defense when healthy in prior seasons. A former first-round selection for the Colts, Hooker recorded at least two interceptions in three consecutive seasons before playing just two games in 2020. On a team-friendly deal, Hooker would be a solid get for the Dolphins. Finding a safety with his upside this late in the year is rare and Miami would be smart to ink him to a short-term deal.

Kawann Short is another free agent still out there, coming off two Injury wrecked seasons you can kind of understand why, still, if a team can sign him this late you probably don't have much to lose.

Broncos RT Ja'Wuan James suffered a torn Achilles' tendon and will miss the 2021 season.
ESPN's Adam Schefter added that because the injury happened while James was working out away from the team, it's possible that Denver will not have to pay him his $10 million salary for the 2021 season. James was expected to start at right tackle in the upcoming season after opting out of the 2020 campaign. Instead, Denver could look to Dalton Risner to play right tackle. Risner was drafted by Denver in 2019 and has started all 32 games for the team at left guard. Broncos coach Vic Fangio has stated that Risner would be the team's emergency option at tackle if needed. Calvin Anderson is currently the team's backup right tackle. Denver picked him up off the Jets' practice squad in 2019.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
May 4, 2021, 5:10 PM ET

Broncos RT Ja'Wuan James suffered a torn Achilles' tendon and will miss the 2021 season.
ESPN's Adam Schefter added that because the injury happened while James was working out away from the team, it's possible that Denver will not have to pay him his $10 million salary for the 2021 season. James was expected to start at right tackle in the upcoming season after opting out of the 2020 campaign. Instead, Denver could look to Dalton Risner to play right tackle. Risner was drafted by Denver in 2019 and has started all 32 games for the team at left guard. Broncos coach Vic Fangio has stated that Risner would be the team's emergency option at tackle if needed. Calvin Anderson is currently the team's backup right tackle. Denver picked him up off the Jets' practice squad in 2019.

Terrible timing right after the draft.

God this guy is a walking calamity

I know it's my own fault for watching them - but post draft/pre training camp is such a rubbish time news-wise. We're going to be talking about the 9ers QBs until Jimmy G is traded. We'll keep hearing about Rodgers despite the financials meaning he can't go anywhere. We'll keep hearing what the Bears offence might look like despite the fact that no one really has any idea.

Do we have a Hard Knocks team yet? I think the Bears would be eligible, that'd be a great team to feature.

I know it's my own fault for watching them - but post draft/pre training camp is such a rubbish time news-wise. We're going to be talking about the 9ers QBs until Jimmy G is traded. We'll keep hearing about Rodgers despite the financials meaning he can't go anywhere. We'll keep hearing what the Bears offence might look like despite the fact that no one really has any idea.

Do we have a Hard Knocks team yet? I think the Bears would be eligible, that'd be a great team to feature.

The Rodgers one is not as straight forward as that, apparently there is a player option at the end of this season in his contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Rodgers one is not as straight forward as that, apparently there is a player option at the end of this season in his contract.

If I weren't broke as * and weeks away from homelessness (and if I could find a market) there is no amount of money I wouldn't bet on Rodgers starting for the Packers in Week 1.

If I weren't broke as fu** and weeks away from homelessness (and if I could find a market) there is no amount of money I wouldn't bet on Rodgers starting for the Packers in Week 1.

This is why you're nearly homeless.

Being on the roster week 1, yea, I can see that, but starting? Not so sure.

You're essentially betting that Brian Gutekunst won't be the Packers GM by week 1.

This is why you're nearly homeless.

Being on the roster week 1, yea, I can see that, but starting? Not so sure.

Nah, it's really not - I haven't gambled in years.

It's just that my industry still hasn't recovered from COVID and my brain kind of broke following a traumatic incident at my last job.

Seahawks WR D.K. Metcalf will compete at the USATF Golden Games in the 100-meter dash on Sunday.
Metcalf (6'4/228) ran a 4.33 40-yard dash at his combine and more recently reached an estimated speed of 22.64 miles per hour during his infamous chase-down tackle of S Budda Baker, the action which prompted him to compete, on SNF. He didn't participate in track and field at Ole Miss but was a sprinter and hurdler in prep school. To automatically qualify for the Olympics Trials, Metcalf would need to achieve a time of 10.05 seconds. The event will be available live on NBC on Sunday at 4:30 p.m. ET.
SOURCE: NBC Sports
May 3, 2021, 5:34 PM ET

I hope he doesn't rip a hammy off the bone.

Nah, it's really not - I haven't gambled in years.

It's just that my industry still hasn't recovered from COVID and my brain kind of broke following a traumatic incident at my last job.

Hope things get better mate. Sorry for making light of your situation.

Shade

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports free agent LT Eric Fisher is meeting with the Colts.
Sam Tevi is currently slotted in as the starting left tackle for Indianapolis but that's a less than ideal plan to protect Carson Wentz, who struggled with sacks in Philadelphia. Tevi was forced into playing left tackle for the Chargers last year and it didn't go well. Pro Football Focus graded Tevi among the league's worst run-blocking tackles and he didn't fare much better as a pass-blocker. Fisher would be a massive upgrade over Tevi and would likely come to Indianapolis on a manageable contract. Bringing Fisher in would also keep All-Pro guard Quenton Nelson from moving to left tackle.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
May 4, 2021, 6:45 PM ET

Josina Anderson reports the Raiders signed CB Casey Hayward, formerly of the Chargers.
Hayward was an elite corner from 2016 to 2019 but was hampered by injuries last year and ultimately became a cap casualty this offseason. If he returns in full form, the signing will look like a steal in hindsight. Casey also gets to reunite with Raiders DC Gus Bradley, who was his coordinator for four years with the Chargers. With the rookies distributed via the draft, teams were likely able to assess their remaining needs and Vegas identified corner as one of their gaps. Pro Football Focus ranked Vegas as a bottom-five coverage unit last year and the Raiders spent far more draft capital on safety than cornerback. Even if Casey is past his prime, this signing should greatly boost the Vegas secondary.
SOURCE: Josina Ander

NFL Network's Mike Garofolo reports the Bears signed WR Damiere Byrd, formerly of the Patriots, to a one-year contract.
Chicago is extremely thin at wide receiver and chose not to address the position until the sixth round of the draft. Byrd is coming off a career year in New England that saw him reach 604 yards and catch 47 passes. This may not be the splash-signing Bears fans were looking for but Byrd will give Chicago some much-needed depth in their receiver room. The team was reportedly looking to trade Anthony Miller this offseason and Javon Wims was their fourth option at the position. Whether or not Miller gets moved, that's anything but a vote of confidence from his organization. Byrd also has experience on special teams, giving him some extra utility to the Bears.
SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
May 4, 2021, 6:28 PM ET

Josina Anderson reports the Raiders signed CB Casey Hayward, formerly of the Chargers.
Hayward was an elite corner from 2016 to 2019 but was hampered by injuries last year and ultimately became a cap casualty this offseason. If he returns in full form, the signing will look like a steal in hindsight. Casey also gets to reunite with Raiders DC Gus Bradley, who was his coordinator for four years with the Chargers. With the rookies distributed via the draft, teams were likely able to assess their remaining needs and Vegas identified corner as one of their gaps. Pro Football Focus ranked Vegas as a bottom-five coverage unit last year and the Raiders spent far more draft capital on safety than cornerback. Even if Casey is past his prime, this signing should greatly boost the Vegas secondary.
SOURCE: Josina Ander

Raiders make a move I like??? Is this real life???

I can answer 2 of the questions.

Jimmy G won't be traded in the off season, the 49ers need him in the short term to bring along Lance and most likely to play.

The financials for a Rodgers trade become a reality after June 1 - where the cap hit can be spread across 2 seasons.

Teams can opt out of Hard Knocks if they meet any of this criteria:
- made the playoffs in the past 2 years
- have appeared in the past 10 years
- have a rookie head coach

Dallas? Cardinals? Giants? All come to mind. Unless there is a team really keen to participate - Bears would be good. Urban might be keen to get some eyeballs on Jacksonville.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back