NFL 2021 - NFL Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
The Buffalo News’ Jay Skurski speculates that Cole Beasley being released “shouldn’t be entirely ruled out.”
Beasley, one of the NFL's outspoken players on vaccination, could “save the Bills the trouble if he follows through on his retirement threat.” Trading or releasing Beasley saves $5.3 million on the 2021 cap. Buffalo signed veteran slot WR Emmanuel Sanders this offseason and could use the Beasley savings towards a Josh Allen extension. Moving on from the 32-year-old would leave dead-money hits of $2 million and $1.5 million the next two seasons

Honestly not too fussed if he's cut. Don't need negativity and denialism around the team.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tom Brady on his “motherf–ker” comment: Private motivation for me, they know who they are

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 21, 2021, 6:52 AM EDT

Tom Brady revealed a month ago that when he hit free agency last year, he was stunned to learn that an unnamed other team had decided to stick with its current quarterback, rather than extend Brady a contract offer. Or, as Brady stated explicitly, “I was thinking, you’re sticking with that motherf–ker?”

That has resulted in a great deal of speculation about which team and which “motherf–ker” of a quarterback Brady was referencing. Brady’s lips are sealed.

“There’s private things for me that are going to remain motivational for me,” Brady said in an interview with Jim Gray, via the Boston Herald. “They know who they are . . . it’s fine. Everyone has a choice to choose. I think what you realize is, there’s not as many smart people as you think. That’s just the reality. I think it’d be a no-brainer if you said, ‘Hey, you’ve got a chance to get Wayne Gretzky on your team, or you got a chance to have Michael Jordan on your team.’ . . . ‘Oh, we don’t need him, no thanks. We’re good.’

“In my mind, I’m kind of thinking, ‘OK, let me go show those teams what they’re missing.’ At the same time, let me go prove to the team that did bet on me, and the team that really showed they really wanted me, and committed to me, that I’m not going to let them down.”

Even after becoming widely proclaimed as the greatest of all time, Brady finds new ways to convince himself that he’s being doubted. And one unnamed team with an unnamed “motherf–ker” at quarterback is motivating Brady as a Buccaneer.

Reading reddit comments about this on there. Still others insisting it's Garoppalo, Tannehill, Carr (but Brady texted Carr saying it wasn't him), some even maybe the Steelers. No one thinks it's Goff - he wasn't re-signed, was on an existing 4 or whatever year contract.

This theory makes some sense too....

Bears traded for Foles after Brady signed with TB, can't be him. Especially as Brady said he turned Chicago down, didn't want to play in cold weather. It was a team Brady said rejected him, not him rejecting them.
---
But the Bears planned for Foles all off-season as “he knew the offense”. Could easily be that they decided to go thru with that plan and turned Brady down, thus finalizing the Brady-TB signing. Could be Brady saying the cold weather thing to deflect attention away from them.
---
Nah, I think it is Foles. I think Chicago informed him they had a deal in place for Foles and they wouldn’t be needing him. Brady is not a big Foles fan and he’s not hid it well.
---
Precisely what I think too. Probably still a little angry about losing to Foles in the super bowl and then getting rejected for Foles a couple years later when you're the GOAT would probably tick off any competitive person. Not lost on anyone when he intentionally wouldn't find Foles to shake his hand when the Bears beat them last year too.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
RDT_20210722_0317054869365757847605942.png

Did they have to make note of the "never missed a game"????

Good for him, glad he will be a long time 49er.

Jimmy G's salary being replaced by Lance's rookie contract has made this signing along with the Williams deal and the Bosa one in the future possible.

Edit: Sorry punters....now that he is on the team for the long term, a Fred Warner 54 throwback jersey is in the works.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Steelers LB Vince Williams announced his retirement from the NFL after eight seasons.

31-year-old Williams was a sixth-round pick in the 2013 draft and spent his entire eight-year career with the Steelers. The inside thumper made 121 career appearances, starting 69 contests, while recording 479 tackles, 20.5 sacks, six fumble recoveries, two interceptions, and one touchdown in the middle of the Pittsburgh defense.

Jul 21, 2021, 6:16 PM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Former NFL player, coach Jim Shofner dies at 85

Posted by Charean Williams on July 21, 2021, 3:31 PM EDT

Former NFL player and long-time assistant coach Jim Shofner died July 17, Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports. Shofner was 85.

TCU confirmed Shofner’s death.

Shofner, who grew up in Fort Worth and went on to a two-sport career with the Horned Frogs, was a first-round choice of the Browns in 1958. He played six seasons in Cleveland, appearing in 76 games with 57 starts and making 20 interceptions.

He followed his pro playing career with a long coaching career.
Shofner began his NFL coaching career as the 49ers defensive backs coach in 1967. He moved to the offensive side of the ball in 1970, serving as the quarterbacks and receivers coach of the 49ers when John Brodie was the NFL’s MVP.

Shofner was the quarterbacks coach for the Browns when Brian Sipe won the MVP in 1980, and he served as the quarterbacks coach of the Bills from 1992-96, with Jim Kelly leading the team to two Super Bowls in that time.
Shofner also coached with the Oilers, Cowboys and Cardinals.

He was TCU’s head coach from 1974-76, going 2-31, and the Browns’ interim head coach in 1990 after the team fired Bud Carson. The Browns were 1-6.

Shofner was inducted into the TCU Hall of Fame in 1981.

He is survived by his wife, Nancy; son Mike and his wife Lisa, their sons John and Daniel; his daughter Elizabeth and her husband Jeff, and their sons James and Jake.

Services are scheduled for Friday, July 30 at 11 a.m. CT at Doxology Bible Church in Fort Worth.

Makes the Eric Kendricks contract (5 years $50 million) look like the bargain it truly is....

that's becoz Kendricks isn't in Warner's league. ;)

Warner the best linebacker going round in pass coverage imo.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
from reddit....

Every NFL team’s number of punt return touchdowns since 2000
renderTimingPixel.png

I did this for kick returns four months ago, and never got around to doing punt returns. So, here they are.

Chicago Bears- 20
Detroit Lions- 14
Kansas City Chiefs- 14
Philadelphia Eagles- 14
Baltimore Ravens- 13
Dallas Cowboys- 12
Pittsburgh Steelers- 11
Buffalo Bills- 11
Green Bay Packers- 11
Tennessee Titans- 11
Denver Broncos- 11
Cleveland Browns- 9