NFL 2021 - NFL Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

If the league says you have to be vaccinated you just have to do it, we aren't talking about a job at maccas here where you can find another job out there for min wage down the road.

Im all for choice when it comes to this, certainly not calling players that don't want to vaccinated dumb if they have done their research, personally, I would trust the Australian government as far as I could throw them right now.

The choice is do you want to play in the NFL or not, not do you think covid vaccines are worthwhile

It's true that pov. It's a coercion tactic given a lot of players are baulking at getting vaccinated. So by placing these new rules, it coerces teams to coerce their players to get vaccinated "for the sake" of the team, wins, loss of income

I really don't see it that way. There's no 'competitive advantage' to it, it's a medical procedure to help protect the integrity of the competition, the competition that's made them all millionaires.

Trial for Chad Wheeler postponed until October

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on July 22, 2021, 11:56 PM EDT

The trial date for former Seattle Seahawks and New York Giants tackle Chad Wheeler has been postponed again.

According to multiple reports, Wheeler’s trial has been delayed from Aug. 26 to Oct. 21. The trial had initially been sent for April 6 before being delayed until June 1 and then August.

Wheeler is facing three charges stemming from a domestic violence incident from January that left his girlfriend with a concussion and fractured arm. Wheeler has pleaded not guilty to the charges of first-degree domestic violence assault, domestic violence unlawful imprisonment and resisting arrest.
Wheeler is alleged to have strangled his girlfriend to the point of unconsciousness. Upon regaining consciousness, his girlfriend locked herself in a bathroom with Wheeler allegedly being surprised by the fact she was still alive.

The police report said Wheeler had been on medication for bi-polar disorder but he had not been taking it before the incident.

I really don't see it that way. There's no 'competitive advantage' to it, it's a medical procedure to help protect the integrity of the competition, the competition that's made them all millionaires.
Yes, but the new rules have that spin. Example, say the season starts and only half the teams are fully vaccinated, they have an advantage over the other half of the league....they only get test once every two weeks, they dont have to wear masks, they can train freely together, dont have to social distance in the lockerroom, weight room, players arent wearing markers identifying/ostracizing them from their teammates, no distractions, their coaches can freely start their best players not having to worry about forfeiture of games due to an outbreak in the team due to those unvac'd players etc. Theres a competitive advantage. And many have seen it that way....michael irvin, jerry jones, mike tomlin, and others, have all said how it advantages their teams to be fully vac'd....so that take is there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teams now have clear incentive to cut unvaccinated players (but plenty will be safe, due to skill or salary)

Posted by Mike Florio on July 23, 2021, 8:32 AM EDT

NFL teams cannot cut players who have not received the COVID vaccine. Thursday’s memo creates the clearest incentive yet to cut players who have not received the COVID vaccine.

The prospect of forfeiting games ties directly to outbreaks among unvaccinated players and/or staff. Thus, the fewer the number of unvaccinated players on a team, the lower the chance that unvaccinated players will force a team to take a loss without playing the game.

The financial penalties tied to forfeited or postponed games create an even greater incentive to shed unvaccinated players. Thursday’s memo explains that, for a rescheduled game due to a COVID outbreak among unvaccinated players on one of the teams, the team with the outbreak “will be responsible for all additional expenses incurred by the opposing team,” along with any reduction in revenue that is directed to the league-wide visiting-team pool for the postponed game. If the game is forfeited, the team responsible for the forfeit must make the payment to the league-wide visiting-team pool for the canceled game.

Other sanctions could apply. “If a game is cancelled because of a Covid outbreak among unvaccinated players/staff, in addition to the financial penalties identified above, the Commissioner retains the authority to impose additional sanctions, particularly if the Covid outbreak is reasonably determined to be the result of a failure by club personnel to follow applicable protocols,” the memo explains.

So, again, the fewer the unvaccinated players, the smaller the chance that teams will experience such competitive and/or financial hardships. This means that unvaccinated players on the roster bubble or close to it will be at extreme risk for being released — even though vaccination status technically cannot be a factor.

The NFL Players Association currently seems unlikely to attack teams that make decisions in part on vaccination status, as long as teams are discreet about it. (In other words, don’t say out loud what Bill G.M. Brandon Beane said earlier this year.) That won’t stop one or more players from insisting on filing a grievance, or from hiring outside counsel who would be far more aggressive about proving that the player would have been kept on the team but for his decision to not be vaccinated. (In any such grievance, Thursday’s memo would be Exhibit A.)

Then there’s the fact that some players won’t be cut even if they insist on not being vaccinated. Whether it’s skill or guaranteed salary or salary-cap consequences arising from a termination or trade, certain unvaccinated players are and will be untouchable.

Case in point: Per a source with knowledge of the situation, one NFL team currently has eight players who will not under any circumstances get the vaccine. And seven of those eight players will not under any circumstances be released because of it, due to their skills and abilities as players.

That likely will be the case for plenty of teams. Although some players who won’t be vaccinated have opted to sound off about it, others surely are choosing to be silent. As we get closer to Week One, we’ll surely hear more about who is and isn’t vaccinated, and about whether those players who aren’t vaccinated will be on 53-man rosters when the season starts.

Cleveland’s baseball team will be known as the Guardians

Posted by Myles Simmons on July 23, 2021, 10:19 AM EDT

Last year, two prominent American sports franchises announced that they would be changing their names.

Those organizations took different approaches. Washington elected to be known immediately as the Football Team while a permanent name was chosen that did not have ties to Native American imagery.

Cleveland’s baseball team elected to continue on as the “Indians” through the 2021 season while a committee worked on a new moniker.

But as Washington is still deep in the process of choosing a new name, Cleveland has already completed it.

As of 2022, the city’s baseball team will be known as the Guardians.

The franchise made that announcement with a video narrated by Tom Hanks, whose first professional job was in Cleveland at the Great Lakes Shakespeare Festival.

“We protect what we’ve earned and always defend it,” Hanks says in the video. “Together we stand with all who understand what it means to be born and built from The Land. Because this is a city we love and the game we believe in. And together, we are all Cleveland Guardians.

The name is partially a reference to the Guardian statues that can be seen on the Hope Memorial Bridge, which is just a short distance away from the franchise’s home stadium, Progressive Field.

In contrast, Football Team president Jason Wright recently told the Washington Post that Washington’s new name and logo will be revealed in early 2022. The burgundy and gold colors will remain the same.

However Washington chooses to announce the name and logo, Football Team executives are likely looking at Cleveland’s rollout for some lessons on what to do and what to do better.

If the league says you have to be vaccinated you just have to do it, we aren't talking about a job at maccas here where you can find another job out there for min wage down the road.

Im all for choice when it comes to this, certainly not calling players that don't want to vaccinated dumb if they have done their research, personally, I would trust the Australian government as far as I could throw them right now.

The choice is do you want to play in the NFL or not, not do you think covid vaccines are worthwhile

I am happy to call players who don’t get vaccinated without medical reason imbeciles

Because they are imbeciles

:)

Those two things are mutually exclusive though.
I am happy to call players who don’t get vaccinated without medical reason imbeciles

Because they are imbeciles

:)

after seeing certain politicians care more about buying up on pharmaceutical stocks than getting enough of a supply for Australia trusting anything they or the various heath departments say and do at this point is pretty naive in my opinion.

Im not an anti vax nut job by any means but putting blind faith in governments right now is tough.

You're welcome to get vaccinated and good for you if you do, just saying, im not willing to buy into the herd mentality on this occasion.

Last edited:
after seeing certain politicians care more about buying up on pharmaceutical stocks than getting enough of a supply for Australia trusting anything they or the various heath departments say and do at this point is pretty naive in my opinion.

Im not an anti vax nut job by any means but putting blind faith in governments right now is tough.

You're welcome to get vaccinated and good for you if you do, just saying, im not willing to buy into the herd mentality on this occasion.

Government has zero to do with vaccine.

Science is science. 97% plus of all deaths in the USA from covid are unvaccinated folks.

It ain’t rocket science as to the correct choice here.

Damn right I got vaccinated. Volunteered at State Farm Stadium in February and March to get it as quickly as I could

Government has zero to do with vaccine.

Science is science. 97% plus of all deaths in the USA from covid are unvaccinated folks.

It ain’t rocket science as to the correct choice here.

Damn right I got vaccinated. Volunteered at State Farm Stadium in February and March to get it as quickly as I could

I aint knocking you for doing so, and im certainly not agreeing with some of the bs reasons Cole Beasley is talking about.

Science is science , until the Australian government says all vaccines are the same when they aren't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back