NFL 2021 - NFL Pre-Season Discussion

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
ESPN's Rob Demovsky reports Packers officials believe teams tampered with Aaron Rodgers.
Demovsky cites a source who said the Packers were "upset teams may have contacted Rodgers to gauge whether he'd be interested in playing for them if they tried to make a trade" after ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Rodgers doesn't want to return to Green Bay in 2021. The Packers, according to Demovsky, have not filed official tampering charges with the league because tampering is nearly impossible to prove. The 49ers and Broncos have been linked to Rodgers over the past week. The Packers could be forced into trading Rodgers -- who doesn't have a no-trade clause in his contract -- if the rift between the QB and general manager Brian Gutekunst proves unfixable. The Athletic's Bob McGinn reported Rodgers in a team group chat called Gutekunst Jerry Krause, the former Chicago Bulls general manager reviled and mocked by Michael Jordan and his teammates in the 1990s. There may be no coming back from that. In the meantime, drafting Packers players like Aaron Jones and Davante Adams is an increasingly risky proposition.
SOURCE: ESPN.com
May 5, 2021, 10:47 AM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports Packers QB Aaron Rodgers told Green Bay free agents that he would not be with the Packers in 2021.
Garafolo added that Rodgers was telling his team's free agents as early as the beginning of the 2020 season that he would be gone. He also noted that it's possible the players simply did not believe Rodgers would actually leave Green Bay, evidenced by David Bakhtiari signing a four-year extension with the team last fall. Rodgers has been disgruntled with the team for some time now but it appears like he has been planning his departure for well over a year. With this level of commitment, it's possible that he does hang up the cleats before returning to the Packers. From a fantasy perspective, all Green Bay players come with an extreme downside. If Rodgers does find a new home, the change to Jordan Love will be catastrophic for the offense.
SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
May 5, 2021, 1:40 PM ET

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
E0p7aCsWEAM4djR.jpg

Constantgin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 6, 2020
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFG , Pacers, ND, Gunners
According to nfl.com 49ers fine with Trey Lance sitting for 2 years.

I am not happy with trading 3 1st rounders for a guy that might not be a starter to year 3.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
According to nfl.com 49ers fine with Trey Lance sitting for 2 years.

I am not happy with trading 3 1st rounders for a guy that might not be a starter to year 3.
Can’t see it happening 49ers are win now and I don’t think that will happen with Jimmy G making 24 million a year.

They would be better off trading or cutting Jimmy eating 2.8 million in dead cap and letting Shanahan weave his magic with a QB on a rookie deal

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
A bit of overkill going back to those levels 4 months before the season starts
Especially for the players and staff of those teams that have announced that the "voluntary" portion of off-season work-outs (i.e. OTAs, rookie mini-camp etc) won't be attended/won't happen

I hope Kerryon gets a chance at some point, feel he was given next to no chance to show what he could do with Patricia. What a waste of a second round pick honestly. If we didn't draft Hubbard in the 4th round I would have been wanting the Panthers to sign him.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
I hope Kerryon gets a chance at some point, feel he was given next to no chance to show what he could do with Patricia. What a waste of a second round pick honestly. If we didn't draft Hubbard in the 4th round I would have been wanting the Panthers to sign him.

Still young enough to carve something out, his pass blocking ability will be a big plus, think Gainwell is also good in that area, not so much Sanders.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
It’s a surprising move as Philadelphia also added receiving-back Kenny Gainwell in the fifth round of the 2021 NFL Draft. With Boston Scott, Jordan Howard and Johnson also on the roster, it’s possible Miles Sanders is merely viewed as a two-down back by the new coaching staff, with Howard coming in for goal line carries and Gainwell being dispersed on passing downs. Sanders himself should be considered a low-end RB2 until roles are defined.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
It’s a surprising move as Philadelphia also added receiving-back Kenny Gainwell in the fifth round of the 2021 NFL Draft. With Boston Scott, Jordan Howard and Johnson also on the roster, it’s possible Miles Sanders is merely viewed as a two-down back by the new coaching staff, with Howard coming in for goal line carries and Gainwell being dispersed on passing downs. Sanders himself should be considered a low-end RB2 until roles are defined.

The surprise to me is the assumption that Jordan Howard will make the 53. From memory, I don't think he has any guaranteed money in his deal, and he's done nothing over the last 3 years to justify the assumption that he'll make the roster.

For me, he's behind Sanders, Johnson and probably Scott - so he's battling with a new draftee to try and make the 53 as a 4th running back... a spot that's likely to come down to special teams as much as his work from the backfield.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
I'm quietly enjoying how bonkers you'd have to be to be watching div 2 college football in (northern) spring at 2.30am.

Shame this Delaware vs Sth Dakota State game is looking a little rubbish atm.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Around the NFL podcast....they reckon Rodgers is just angry anout money, he wants more of it, and more guaranteed, not happy with clever cap management type contracts. Essentially thats Rodgers reasoning to want out. Certain other things like Jordan Love replacement, the GM not discussing that pick prior to the selection, and coaches not embracing his suggestions on offense, more WRs, which particular ones to keep (Kumarow let go tho he likes him)...all these other things play a part in Rodgers anger, but its mainly about money. This from the podcast saying the sources for this are former teammates, whereas anonymous sources cant be trusted, could be packers org spreading lies, you dont know, whereas former teammates are saying for sure the relationship can be fixed if they pony up the money requests.

So, again, this is what separates Brady from all the others. Rodgers makes like 20m a year, probably has hundreds of millions in the bank, plus more with endorsements and other financial plans, and hes banging the table over a few more million this way or that. I know Peyton Manning had a big rift with the Colts at one point when they asked him to reduce his contract a little (cap wise) so they could re-sign some key players and he refused, demanded his money.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Or imo those other things are false reasons given by Rodgers anonymously just so the fans think its not about money, that its about other important things, how to improve the team so they can win playoffs etc, just a PR spin so they dont realize its just about money, haggling over a few million tho hes already got hundreds, while most fans are earning 50-80k a year.

They mentioned a quote from Rodgers early this off-season where he said he knows football is all business, players get to a certain age and trams have to start thinking for the future, not blind or stupid to the realities etc. And surely his own time waiting behind Favre he knows and knew eventually it would happen to him. So easy to conclude that probably its all purely about money, not anything else, which was perhaps all rodgers or his agent painting a story to disguise the real reason, which fans wouldnt be sympathetic of....that he just wants more guaranteed and no reductions or dead year cap tricks etc.

Back