NFL 2021 NFL - Week 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Another horrendous Giants play, 4th and 1 and bloke on the jet sweep runs straight into the open man and gets lit the * up ,comedy

Brandon Staley what an idiot all year, and in that game too. Going for it on 4th and 3 on your own 18, with 8 mins still left in the 3rd has to be the worst 4th down decision ever. Spanos should fire him "for cause", akin to Kiffen going for a 75 yard FG. Just one of many highly dubious 4th down decisions all year he has done, but that takes the cake.

Watched the whole press conference he said regarding this play: " I was trying to get our momentum started " .....what a weak as piss answer.

Watched the whole press conference he said regarding this play: " I was trying to get our momentum started " .....what a weak as piss answer.
He should be fired. He single-handedly cost the team a handful of wins this season with 4th down decisions (including not taking easy FGs) and 2 pt attempt decisions. The Chargers would have sealed a WC spot three weeks ago.

He should be fired. He single-handedly cost the team a handful of wins this season with 4th down decisions (including not taking easy FGs) and 2 pt attempt decisions. The Chargers would have sealed a WC spot three weeks ago.

He also said, "im disappointed we aren't in the playoffs coz I feel we are one of the best teams in the NFL, but things just didnt go our way" ....only a bloke who sleeps with an analytics book would say that. ... a real coach would say "I cost us the playoffs and I promise to be better"

Another horrendous Giants play, 4th and 1 and bloke on the jet sweep runs straight into the open man and gets lit the fu** up ,comedy

To be fair the Lions 4th down fail was a fake punt that went right through the arms of the player.
The Packers one was 4th and short rather than a 50~yd FG. which the Lions covered really well.

The Lions called a really good game. they had some fun trick plays that they scored on.

I saw one of the colts 4th and goal fails and it was poor playcalling.

The timeout in the final minute isn't where Staley lost the game. He lost it when he didn't call a timeout after the first run of the final drive around midfield. Raiders were looking at running out the clock when the timeout wasn't made after a one yard loss on 1st down - but on 2nd down Jacobs had a 7 yard run past midfield which put them in a reasonable position at 3rd and 4 to get into field goal range for the winning kick.

Staley's timeout was with 5 seconds left on the play clock so it was not conserving time - he was simply putting in a different personnel group in - one which he said post game was the Chargers best 1 RB formation run defense. Raiders were always running on that final 3rd down, the timeout didn't change anything there at all.

Last edited:
The timeout in the final minute isn't where Staley lost the game. He lost it when he didn't call a timeout after the first run of the final drive. Raiders were looking at running out the clock when the timeout wasn't made - but on 2nd down Jacobs had a 28 yard run to midfield which put them in a reasonable position to get into field goal range for the winning kick.

Staley's timeout was with 5 seconds left on the play clock so it was not conserving time - he was simply putting in a different personnel group in - one which he said post game was the Chargers best 1 RB formation run defense. Raiders were always running on that final 3rd down, the timeout didn't change anything there at all.
The issue was it made it seem like they wanted the ball back from a punt to try to go for the win I reckon.

The issue was it made it seem like they wanted the ball back from a punt to try to go for the win I reckon.

Had nothing to do with that. The Chargers needed to get into their right personnel package so they could try to limit the amount of yardage the Raiders would get on 3rd down. This may have resulted in the Raiders not converting the 3rd down play - at which point they would have had a very difficult decision to make (be it go for it on 4th down, do a long 55+ yard field goal, or punt).

Exit interviews for the Chargers will be hard, because the players put the team in position to win 2-3 more games. but coaching decisions cost them.

Staley has some work to do the win back his players or it could crumble next season.

Seahawks S Quandre Diggs suffered a broken fibula and dislocated ankle in Seattle's Week 18 win over the Cardinals.
Brutal. Diggs went down in gruesome fashion in the second half in Arizona, suffering one of the most serious leg injuries a football player can endure. The timing could not be worse, as the 29-year-old (in 12 days) is headed to free agency. A valuable player at the back end of the Seahawks' defense after arriving via trade from Detroit in 2019, Diggs will almost certainly go deep into the summer without a new contract. He was amongst the league leaders in defensive snaps in 2021, earning strong marks from Pro Football Focus as he picked off five passes and held up well against the run. He will be highly questionable for Week 1 2022.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His shin got kicked.

Somewhere Clay Mathews, Chip Banks, Dick Ambrose, Eddie “the Assassin” Johnson and even Mike “Mad Dog” Junkin are laughing their a$$es off.

Unbelievable

His shin got kicked.

Somewhere Clay Mathews, Chip Banks, Dick Ambrose, Eddie “the Assassin” Johnson and even Mike “Mad Dog” Junkin are laughing their a$$es off.

Unbelievable

Brave of JOK not to go to the hospital imo.

The Raiders are forever on my list

So wish karma had caught them with a kick 6 the other way

That was arguably the dumbest coaching decision of 2021 regular season—and Stefanski has plenty to choose from.

Hall of Fame receiver Don Maynard dies at 86

Posted by Mike Florio on January 10, 2022, 2:23 PM EST

Don Maynard, a Hall of Fame receiver who was the first player to gain 10,000 receiving yards, has died. He was 86. The Pro Football Hall of Fame announced Maynard’s passing on Monday.

Maynard, a ninth-round pick of the Giants in 1958. He was cut in 1959 because then-offensive coordinator Allie Sherman thought Maynard’s strides were too long.
“I cover more ground in one stride than anybody else here does in three,” Maynard replied.

He spent 1959 in the CFL before becoming a member of the New York Titans (later Jets) of the AFL.

Maynard played for New York for the entire duration of the AFL’s existence, winning a Super Bowl with the Jets in early 1969. (He had no catches in the 16-7 win over the Colts, due to a hamstring injury.)

As shown in the attached picture, Maynard did not wear a chin strap. He used extra ear padding to keep his helmet on his head.

Maynard retired with 633 catches for 11,834 yards. Both were career records at the time. Even with the explosion of offense in the past 50 years, Maynard remains No. 31 on the all-time yardage list.

We extend our condolences to Maynard’s family, friends, teammates, and colleagues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back