Remove this Banner Ad

A11dAtP0w3R

Strong Premiership DNA
Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Carolina Panthers. Zach Wilson.
Akers lowered his hips down, braced for the hit, but didnt point his helmet inti Baker

100% was Bakers own fault. People so pussified these days, only look at the outcome rather than why it happened.

thewizardmelon

Enrol in a Masters of Qootyology today!
Mar 12, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, LA Lakers, LSU Tigers
Had only just been talking to my son saying how so many players still lead with the head to tackle. Is why so many get knocked out even with helmets on.
I’d love to know the force difference between helmet to helmet and head to head. I.e sports like Gaelic football, AFL, Union don’t have the same high concussion rates as the nfl does.

Or, do the very vague to the public nfl protocols carry an extreme air of caution, and diagnose a concussion with very mild or likely common symptoms? Curious.

A11dAtP0w3R

Strong Premiership DNA
Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Cam Akers quickly becoming one of my fav players

Back One Out

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’d love to know the force difference between helmet to helmet and head to head. I.e sports like Gaelic football, AFL, Union don’t have the same high concussion rates as the nfl does.

Or, do the very vague to the public nfl protocols carry an extreme air of caution, and diagnose a concussion with very mild or likely common symptoms? Curious.
I reckon it's because NFL players have a false sense of security with their helmets on. They think they're bulletproof. They lower their helmets and hit hard... and take hard direct hits... (They also do it repeatedly over their careers within games and training camp which probably leads to CTE, but that's another story...)

Their helmets prevent cranial & facial fractures, but they don't stop the brain from sloshing about inside their skull after a collision.

Rugby players and AFL players don't have 'protection' and so they take naturally evasive measures to avoid contact flush to the head. Occasionally they get blind-sided and knocked out. But the direct head-to-head clashes are vey rare. Most concussions occur from the head hitting the ground, or from contact with an opponent's knee, elbow, arm or shoulder.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brasher

Premium Platinum
Jul 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Guardians
I'm convinced that Murray can't read an NFL defense. Relied on Hopkins, first read and his back foot scrambles and chuck it.

GG.exe

Post-Human
Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon it's because NFL players have a false sense of security with their helmets on. They think they're bulletproof. They lower their helmets and hit hard... and take hard direct hits... (They also do it repeatedly over their careers within games and training camp which probably leads to CTE, but that's another story...)

Their helmets prevent cranial & facial fractures, but they don't stop the brain from sloshing about inside their skull after a collision.

Rugby players and AFL players don't wear helmets and so they take naturally evasive measures to avoid contact flush to the head. Occasionally they get blind-sided and knocked out. But head-to-head clashes are pretty rare. Most concussions occur from the head hitting the ground, or from contact with an opponent's knee, elbow, arm or shoulder.
Youre taught to get the bulk of your body in front of the runner, because the helmet protects you from facial injury. And then too taught to use your helmet as a weapon to drive into the runners body and arms, either to dislodge the ball or just because it hurts getting hit with the helmet.

Thats how they used to teach.

aussiedude

Community Leader
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
Cardinals are really bad on D and look like they dont want to tackle.

A11dAtP0w3R

Strong Premiership DNA
Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
why the rams still got the starters in, nothing good can come of this.

ams4crows

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
I need a touchdown and a field goal for the 50+ I think I'm gonna run out of time unless the cards can get a field goal in the last minute of the game when they've barely moved the ball all game