2021 NHL Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Sylvain Lefebvre won’t get vaccinated and won’t keep his new job. Doesn’t appear to be for any pre-existing health reasons. A personal choice.

Blue Jackets dodged a bullet there. An absolutely useless coach. Not sure why they hired him.

I notice NHL Tv does not list Australia as one of the countries where it is offered this year???
Correct. Games are offering in Aus through the ESPN app. So you need a Foxtel or Fetch account. I think it's going to cost us a lot more for games now

Correct. Games are offering in Aus through the ESPN app. So you need a Foxtel or Fetch account. I think it's going to cost us a lot more for games now

Amusing how with less than four weeks before the new season starts, one finds out about a significant viewing service change via an Australian Rules Football forum. No emails from NHLTV, nothing on their Twitter timeline, a google search reveals next to nothing, mainly unanswered enquiries.

NHLTV “service” is on par with Morrison’s vaccine roll out.

I think I have found a “workaround”.

A VPN, ESPN+ and a sister-in-law in the USA.

Potentially just ESPN+ at $6USD/month + VPN at $3/month + USA address to pay for ESPN+

Amusing how with less than four weeks before the new season starts, one finds out about a significant viewing service change via an Australian Rules Football forum. No emails from NHLTV, nothing on their Twitter timeline, a google search reveals next to nothing, mainly unanswered enquiries.

NHLTV “service” is on par with Morrison’s vaccine roll out.
I wonder if we'll still be offered the home broadcasts of all the teams.
That's an important part of the NHL experience for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a blow to the Oilers, Duncan Keith has decided to get the jab and will now suit up for the Oilers

Watching FoxNews and believing their BS is set to cost Tyler Bertuzzi $400,000+ and the perception of most of his contemporaries, and hockey fans, of being a complete moron.

Well played, Tyler.

I thought the pandemic was about people dying throughout the world but Captain Maple Leaf gives us his take about “both sides”. Good grief…

fcf8f6e12020c3c30832bdd1e385b5a6.jpg

Gees they are taking there time announcing a deal for us Aussies.Wanna See the Pens Win another Stanley Cup.
Mate, I don't think anything extra is going to be announced. You're either getting foxtel or Fetch and using the ESPN App, or looking at geoblocking workaround to use ESPN+

I think I have found a “workaround”.

A VPN, ESPN+ and a sister-in-law in the USA.

Potentially just ESPN+ at $6USD/month + VPN at $3/month + USA address to pay for ESPN+

I'd be worried about blackout restrictions in certain areas with ESPN+. The big problem for me is the only folks whose address I could 'borrow' are all in Toronto; if I can source an address in say, LA, then I'd likely only miss 2 games. I'm considering NHL.tv as a "UK" subscriber as an alternative.

Mate, I don't think anything extra is going to be announced. You're either getting foxtel or Fetch and using the ESPN App, or looking at geoblocking workaround to use ESPN+

And the press release clearly saying this will happen 24 hours before opening night.

Are NZ and Aus the only two lucky countries to lose what we had before?

I'd be worried about blackout restrictions in certain areas with ESPN+. The big problem for me is the only folks whose address I could 'borrow' are all in Toronto; if I can source an address in say, LA, then I'd likely only miss 2 games. I'm considering NHL.tv as a "UK" subscriber as an alternative.

My SIL is in Denver.
Might miss out on MacKinnon and co.
Blackouts are ridiculous.

Are NZ and Aus the only two lucky countries to lose what we had before?
Sort of. There's a tonne of countries with no ESPN rights deals for NHL in place that get to use NHL.tv still but everyone else has some form of change based on existing local broadcast deals.

If you look on the 'how to stream' portion of the NHL site basically everyone below 'Star+' are being screwed into an expensive (compared to last season) extra subscription with a 3rd party. The Scandanavian countries + NE Europe need to pay for a premium plan which costs round $50AUD per month more (more than triple) than the basic TV and movies plan from the same service.

That said, they had a few press articles go out a week or so ago. So officially AU / NZ users are still in the dark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back