News 2021 NMFC AGM - Wednesday, 3 March 2021 - 6pm @ Arden St.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The sub committee tells RJ he’s not suitable and another member of the Scanlon cabal gets appointed to the Board.

1611482323025.png

So am I understanding that Ron Joseph is running?

if so - I would imagine the first step which is essentially a vetting process so someone like me doesn’t just apply with no credentials, would not stop RJ running.

Should we vote for him, what’s his go?
The policy statement will be very interesting once it's made evident, whether that's made via an official announcement or from a media release.

Having said that it shouldn't take a lot of spruiking to get some serious support from the true diehards to get onboard given RJ's enormous historical legacy.

That's my personal opinion anyway and I'm still of the view that when Ron speaks, we should listen.

The policy statement will be very interesting once it's made evident, whether that's made via an official announcement or from a media release.

Having said that it shouldn't take a lot of spruiking to get some serious support from the true diehards to get onboard given RJ's enormous historical legacy.

That's my personal opinion anyway and I'm still of the view that when Ron speaks, we should listen.
The guy is a legend and has been involved in whatever premiership success the club has had. Whatever we think of the current board he has earned the right for us to listen and take what he says seriously. Obviously no Paul Crapper.

"and expressed concerns to The Age".

This is a major problem I find in the old school people is they can't help but to express their negative opinions to the media which undermines the club. I think there is a time and a place for it, like when our existence is under threat but I think if you are going to be an effective board member you have to be able to have a good relationship with the other board members and have a good line of communication.

I would expect someone who has had no experience to be green when it comes to the politics of it, but someone who has been a board member before and played a significant role in terms of where the club is today I don't think should be making rookie mistakes. I am sure all our existing board members would take a call and have a meeting with him if he expressed various concerns, it would be something you would do out of respect alone.

I don't like the way RJ and PDR have been swimming around in the waters, some of the behaviour I find questionable and I don't know what they would bring to the table that they hadn't brought before. While I am glad RJ was loyal enough to make a stand against the relocation move, what skills did he, PDR, etc bring to the table which prevented putting us in that position in the first place? We are talking about people who were on the board or worked closely with the club during our golden 90s era and we were borderline insolvent. If you couldn't take a pretty much team of the decade to a somewhat solid footing off-field, what are you going to bring to an almost spoon calibre team last year?

We aren't under any existential risk, Tasmania has made it pretty clear they want their own team and not a relocated team so the whole Tasmanian thing is going to resolve itself at some point in time when the AFL give them their own license when we expand again. Covid will likely make that later rather than sooner, but the AFL had expressed increasing the number of teams beyond 18. More teams results in more games without extending the season, which is difficult to do with cricket and other commitments stadiums have.

I think our current board could do a lot better, I do not think we have done enough in terms of grass roots development in growth regions, but I haven't got the impression the board has a nefarious mindset and we do not have the financial pressure off-field which we had in the past.

Unless someone is the Australian equivalent of Bezos or Musk and can offer something substantial, if your time has come and gone then just move on. We do not have the petty politics at board level that we had for decades previously. If that means the club has to be authoritarian to stop importing past problems then I can live with that, they can go and talk to their dickhead mates at The Age and Herald Sun who just s**t can us at every opportunity. That is what someone who loves the club does apparently.

Next time some arsehole from the media comes to you for a story, try saying "no comment".

Last edited:
NORTH MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB LIMITED
ACN 006 468 962

NOTICE OF ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

Notice is hereby given that an Annual General Meeting of North Melbourne Football Club Limited (“the Club”) will be held at 204 – 206 Arden Street, North Melbourne, Victoria on Wednesday, 3 March 2021 at 6:00pm (AEDT).

Business:

1. Election of Club Directors
In accordance with Rule 10.1(j) of the Club Constitution, at every General Meeting of the Club, one-third of the members of the Board (or, if their number is not an integral multiple of three, the number nearest one-third) shall retire and be eligible for re-election. Director Dr Harry Unglik holds his current position as a Director of the Club on a casual basis and, in accordance with clause 10.1(g) of the Club Constitution, is eligible to hold office until the day of the Annual General Meeting. Director Mr Paul Dwyer must also retire at the Annual General Meeting. Each of Dr Harry Unglik and Mr Paul Dwyer, being eligible, have offered themselves for re-election as Directors.

In accordance with Rule 10.1(d)(i) of the Club Constitution, nominations were sought for the two (2) Director positions which will become vacant on the day of the 2020 Annual General Meeting. The request for nominations was published in The Age newspaper on 5 January 2021 and via the website of the Club at www.nmfc.com.au.

In response, complying and approved nominations were received in respect of current directors Dr Harry Unglik and Mr Paul Dwyer.

Pursuant to Rule 10.1(e)(ii) of the Club Constitution, if the number of candidates does not exceed the number of vacancies on the Board to be filled at the relevant election, then those candidates shall be deemed to have been duly elected and will be declared duly elected without the need for an election to occur. Accordingly, each of Dr Harry Unglik and Mr Paul Dwyer are duly re-elected to the Board of the Club and no director elections will occur as part of the 2020 Annual General Meeting.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Ron Joseph and Trainor.

Okay, then what does this mean?

1612760375124.png

Are they telling people that because there were two vacancies and only two outside applications, then they can just veto the process and the incumbents are automatically re-elected?

George W Bush & Trump wouldn't even pull that stunt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tectonic

8m46s
Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

View attachment 1053673

Are they telling people that because there were two vacancies and only two outside applications, then they can just veto the process and the incumbents are automatically re-elected?

Were there outside applications? That rule says there are 2 people running for 2 spots. If there were more than 2 people running (i.e any outside candidates), a vote would be required.

A different story entirely if, say RJ put in an application to run and was knocked back, but it looks like nobody put their names in.

View attachment 1053673

It means if you have two positions to fill and there is 2 or less people running then you can forget about the process and just give the position to those running. You only need an election vote if there are more candidates than positions.

It is why they need to be transparent on what qualifies and what does not, otherwise they could allow only their friends to run for positions and fill the board without voting. If the system of approving candidates isn't consistent or clear, it could be against the law. While they cite this being common in the corporate world, clubs have different laws to for-profit corporation.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
It means if you have two positions to fill and there is 2 or less people running then you can forget about the process and just give the position to those running. You only need an election vote if there are more candidates than positions.

It is why they need to be transparent on what qualifies and what does not, otherwise they could allow only their friends to run for positions and fill the board without voting. If the system of approving candidates isn't consistent or clear, it could be against the law. While they cite this being common in the corporate world, clubs have different laws to for-profit corporation.

It's not a member controlled entity anymore and it's why they don't get one red cent out of me.

There's no way I can support this closed shop racket.

Anyone know anything about Glen Borin?

North Melbourne board members Harry Unglick and Paul Dwyer, also threatened with a challenge, were likewise returned when longstanding past North official Francis Trainor and another prospective challenger, Glen Borin, decided against running against Ben Buckley’s Kangaroos board and dropped out, despite winning the approval of the club’s nominations committee.

Unglick is the club ’s former doctor who became the AFL’s head doctor under his close friend Andrew Demetriou’s period as chief executive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back