News 2021 NMFC AGM - Wednesday, 3 March 2021 - 6pm @ Arden St.

Remove this Banner Ad

'
NOTHING gets close to winning when it comes to expanding the member base of a club.

Which AFL club has seen significant expansion because of any other reason?

THIS and THIS ONLY is the board's objective. EVERYTHING ELSE is self indulgent w@nkery.
Essendon has doubled their membership since their last finals win, 2004. In the same time period Carton has doubled their membership and have only played in finals 4 times.
Richmond went from 27K in 2004 to 60K in 2013, the first year they played finals.

Since 2004 we have gone from 23K to 38K having played in 2 prelims.

We have a high percentage of supporters who are members but we have a very low supporter base. So it's not the membership base we need to increase, it's the supporter base. If you want to increase the supporter base you must have community engagement, winning alone won't do it. Just look at the 90's, that prolonged success should have set us up but as we weren't financially viable, we had to flitter around the country and lost our community connection. We are trying to regain this while also making money. If we don't take a wholistic approach we'll just end up back where we were. So once again, try to understand that winning can't be the boards ONLY objective, because if it was we'd all be w@nkered.

Why did you become a supporter? Did you just jump on a winning bandwagon?

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
'Just look at the 90's, that prolonged success should have set us up but as we weren't financially viable

Success only has a huge impact on financials if the silent supporters exist.

We don't and hence need to rely on other financial avenues.

The fact the Tigers have so many members all of a sudden is a massively poor reflection on their fair weather supporter base than anything to crow about.

The fact the Tigers have so many members all of a sudden is a massively poor reflection on their fair weather supporter base than anything to crow about.
They had pretty steady growth up until they went well.

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
'
Essendon has doubled their membership since their last finals win, 2004. In the same time period Carton has doubled their membership and have only played in finals 4 times.
Richmond went from 27K in 2004 to 60K in 2013, the first year they played finals.

Since 2004 we have gone from 23K to 38K having played in 2 prelims.

We have a high percentage of supporters who are members but we have a very low supporter base. So it's not the membership base we need to increase, it's the supporter base. If you want to increase the supporter base you must have community engagement, winning alone won't do it. Just look at the 90's, that prolonged success should have set us up but as we weren't financially viable, we had to flitter around the country and lost our community connection. We are trying to regain this while also making money. If we don't take a wholistic approach we'll just end up back where we were. So once again, try to understand that winning can't be the boards ONLY objective, because if it was we'd all be w@nkered.

Why did you become a supporter? Did you just jump on a winning bandwagon?

Winning makes a massive impact on members, as someone with young kids it pains me to say that at least 2/3s of all kids at kindergarten and primary school are Tigers supporters now. Only parents that push their club onto their kids seem to survive this onslaught.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Winning makes a massive impact on members, as someone with young kids it pains me to say that at least 2/3s of all kids at kindergarten and primary school are Tigers supporters now. Only parents that push their club onto their kids seem to survive this onslaught.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
So what happened in the 90’s for us?

We had the wilderness of the 80’s in between? There was a 18 year gap there of waiting for Flags. We are up to a 21 year gap now.
But if winning was the only thing we’d have a massive supporter base from the 70’s to get us through, and then this would have increase dramatically in the 90’s...according to a certified moron.

Tasmania could work as a secondary supporter base if everyone was behind it. As it stands the Tasmanian government don’t want it, the Melbourne fans don’t really want it, the AFL and the press seem to be trying to subtly push us there and the Tasmanian people are a bit indifferent (based on crowds) and waiting for the dream that the government is selling them.

There will no doubt be a few supporters from Tassie who stick fat whether you get your own team or not. We probably still have a couple in Canberra. However as it stands in the current climate I can’t see the arrangement being positive for the club beyond the short term financial hit.

If the AFL flat out said Tasmania will not get a team for at least 20 years, Hawthorn is out and here’s a sweet package for NMFC with 11 Melbourne games, you might get a more generational connection that would have dividends and support across the board from Victorian and Tasmanian people, but I can’t see that happening.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

100% correct.

But if winning was the only thing we’d have a massive supporter base from the 70’s to get us through, and then this would have increase dramatically in the 90’s...according to a certified moron.

Yeah, because nobody has died, moved away or lost interest over the past 50 years you complete & utter BOVINE!

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There will no doubt be a few supporters from Tassie who stick fat whether you get your own team or not.

Few?

All would regardless who they go for.

My Dad's Hobart mate goes to nearly every Bombers game as a wealthy guy and flights etc back in a day! (pre Covid obviously)

He openly says he'd follow Tassie 100% but not to the expense of his bombers either.

Luke72 there is no chance of Tassie getting a team.

None.
I think you’re wrong, I think the PC aspect will see Gilligan bow to pressure. If he had the nuts to say there never will be the situation would not be as it is. Now it’s a political issue where the government can keep pushing, most probably hoping they don’t get one but grand standing behind a lost cause.

I’d give them one without ridiculous financial support and say “see how you go, make it work within a time frame and meet certain criteria or we fold it”, but for obvious reasons that is not possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Few?

All would regardless who they go for.

My Dad's Hobart mate goes to nearly every Bombers game as a wealthy guy and flights etc back in a day! (pre Covid obviously)

He openly says he'd follow Tassie 100% but not to the expense of his bombers either.
If there was a team the important question would be who his kids went for. Say he had three I would guess maybe 1 goes bombers and 2 Tassie and it dilutes over time. It’s all hypothetical but I don’t know if we are leaving a legacy in Tasmania that will last beyond the current contract if it is ended.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think you’re wrong, I think the PC aspect will see Gilligan bow to pressure. If he had the nuts to say there never will be the situation would not be as it is. Now it’s a political issue where the government can keep pushing, most probably hoping they don’t get one but grand standing behind a lost cause.

I’d give them one without ridiculous financial support and say “see how you go, make it work within a time frame and meet certain criteria or we fold it”, but for obvious reasons that is not possible.

Can't see it happening mate.

Just AFL posturing.

I don't trust Gil at all

100% correct.

Yeah, because nobody has died, moved away or lost interest over the past 50 years you complete & utter BOVINE!
Yeah, no one has died from other clubs. And you call me a BOVINE. Your problem is you have a such a bias you can’t think logically. If people die what’s the point of winning?? Any new supporters we get from winning are just going to die.

Your trolling has stooped to all new levels of certified moronic.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Too right gasp
But even so 4 out of 22 years and we cooped the rough end of the stick due to one result

Hawthorn have streeted us in the club development stakes since the 2000's. Absolutely given us a bath.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back