News 2021 NMFC AGM - Wednesday, 3 March 2021 - 6pm @ Arden St.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club president 1971-1976 his better years but in the early 2000s when we did nothing to capitalise on the back of two flags in the late 90s, our membership was struggling to make 18,000, club debt at $10 mil, listed as junk shares on the stock exchange, the club HQ and facilities the worst in both the VFL and AFL, and that weird hopping mixomatosed looking rabbit logo. Two years after his final departure from the club, the entire AFL community and half our board had our bags packed for Queensland.

You're right, a raging success. Shite ... what was I thinking.

Last edited:
Club president 1971-1976 his better years but in the early 2000s when we did nothing to capitalise on the back of two flags in the late 90s, our membership was struggling to make 18,000, club debt at $10 mil, listed as junk shares on the stock exchange, the club HQ and facilities the worst in the VFL and AFL, and that weird hopping mixomatosed looking rabbit logo. Two years after his final departure from the club, the entire AFL community and half our board had our bags packed for Queensland.

You're right, a raging success. sh*te ... what was I thinking.

An architect of the halcyon 70s glory days Roogal, along with Mr Joseph and Mantello

Very harsh in your assessment

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Club president 1971-1976 his better years but in the early 2000s when we did nothing to capitalise on the back of two flags in the late 90s, our membership was struggling to make 18,000, club debt at $10 mil, listed as junk shares on the stock exchange, the club HQ and facilities the worst in the VFL and AFL, and that weird hopping mixomatosed looking rabbit logo. Two years after his final departure from the club, the entire AFL community and half our board had our bags packed for Queensland.

You're right, a raging success. sh*te ... what was I thinking.

Yeah, I know it has become fashionable among the ignorant to crap all over his legacy when he couldn't see a way out for the club pre-2007, but they get amnesia regarding what happened in the years prior to this.

The man mortgaged his own house so North could win their fist premiership, and his achievements s**t ALL OVER anything that has occurred post 2007.

Yeah, I know it has become fashionable among the ignorant to crap all over his legacy when he couldn't see a way out for the club pre-2007, but they get amnesia regarding what happened in the years prior to this.

The man mortgaged his own house so North could win their fist premiership, and his achievements sh*t ALL OVER anything that has occurred post 2007.

Not to mention a 220 game former Captain, B&F, All-Australian and team of the century player!!

I’ll hear none of it against this man.

An architect of the halcyon 70s glory days Roogal, along with Mr Joseph and Mantello

Very harsh in your assessment

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Harsh but fair. He was only active on the board 1971-76. I recall us being wooden spooners 1971-73. The real halcyon era was with Bob Ansett as Club President and when Barrassi left Carlton (remember him coaching Carlton to a few flags) and he came to North Melbourne. That was the magic moment. I credit Barrassi for moulding a team of imported champion (mostly interstate) players into the champion team of the 70s.

Yes thats almost 50 years ago but as Aylett aged his influence waned. I'm not questioning his passion at the times he worked for the club, but back in the early naughties he came back perhaps more as a figure head as his real years of being a force in football were in the 70s and 80s. By 2001 his better days had passed, as legendary player he was in the 50s and 60s and his halceyon days as an administrator for 5 years in 70s. But then he also had some pretty powerful backers and a highly inflencial Club President back then too. Sometimes the older men need to know when its time to stand back and to give the younger bloods a go. People were questioning this very issue earlier in this thread about the Club Board becoming a closed and elite group and perhaps stale. More recently, for all the good work that James Brayshaw did, to his credit he knew when his time was up and resigned the Board with the club in a far better state that what it was in.

Credit where it's due, early 70s he was part of a very strong and influencial group but the early naughties ... mmm?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez potting Allen Aylett's contributions to this footy club a new low.

Sorry SLF. Love ya but you once saw things differently on this matter too my friend.

Doc's photo should be in the dictionary next to "mixed feelings".

Aylett's always been a national game/relocationist firt and foremost and in his old age is willing to sacrifice us to make that a reality.

We've got a rat in the ranks.

Niall is a decent journo (for The Age anyway) and while this is bullshit, someone at the club or associated with it has briefed him.

Question is who?

better not have been that old **** Aylett.

Yep, Aylett was the driver in that. But as we at North learned in 2007, the desire of the Aylett genetic line to shaft clubs runs both ways.

JB is right not give this crap oxygen.

And the difference between him and Aylett/Duff is that he is actually working to deliver real esults.

Sorry SLF. Love ya but you once saw things differently on this matter too my friend.

Doc's photo should be in the dictionary next to "mixed feelings".

Yep, and we survived that so my position changes with times and context.

You know, like how we might bag a player who is turning in s**t and then be all about them when they hit form.

Back then we were in an existential fight and he wasn't pulling his weight.

Over a decade later we're secure in Melbourne and he's an elder statesman of the club.

Yep, and we survived that so my position changes with times and context.

You know, like how we might bag a player who is turning in sh*t and then be all about them when they hit form.

Back then we were in an existential fight and he wasn't pulling his weight.

Over a decade later we're secure in Melbourne and he's an elder statesman of the club.

Good work son.

Purely coincidental that you ended up in the former with direct line of sight to the latter though yeh?

In 2007 he didn't see a way out, and I'm sure the man is thrilled by the turnaround since.

I didn't agree with his views back then either, but I'm not going to crap all over the mans legacy just because he eventually ran out of ideas. Without him we may very well have not made it as far as 2007!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back