News 2021 NMFC AGM - Wednesday, 3 March 2021 - 6pm @ Arden St.

Remove this Banner Ad

A focused board is important as you mentioned, and we might actually have that at the moment (if you listen to the commentary that our primary goal is our 5th premiership).

What we do have that the Pies and Tigers do not is an incoming revenue that doesn't match those clubs. Things like the Tassie venture to increase revenue is something they would never have to face. It becomes a balancing act which potentially detracts from increased membership in Melbourne and then a lack of numbers in Melbourne means our home games feel like away games at times in terms of crowd support (and a reduction in influence on game time umpiring decisions).
Yes I too would like to hear more about all this board turmoil of which you speak.
A fitfh Premiership is our goal ... WOW Who'd have thought that the club executive would put that on their mission statement? Funnily enough, I'll wager that Collingwood have winning their 16th at the top of their list too.

Honestly this whole thread has been about people (you people) pissing and moaning about the rights of certain individuals to be on the board. Their motives and so on. I haven't gone as far as some to lay the blame on any particular people, but I have suggested that we may have a lack of cohesion within our club's executive, and I have described the warning signs.

There's an old saying that "where there's smoke". We didn't finish nearly last, last year because our coach had personal issues. We didn't fall in a heap midway through the season the year before simply because Brad Scott alone had issues. We'd be putting our heads in the sand to think that the issue rests with the Coaches alone. That's just too damn convenient. After 11 players were told that their contracts wouldn't be renewed toward the end of the last season and the effective sacking of Ben Brown,. The media got a scent. If you want names ... The word on the streets being that Brady Rawlings and Ben Amarfio might be causing some angst and is clashing with Glenn Archer. It's also believed that Glenn Archer weilds too much influence across many departments and may have been very influential in the sacking of the last two coaches. If it's true then there are problems, Glenn is on the Board. But then, others suggest that Brady Rawlins has been deeply unhappy with the club's direction for almost twelve months. Not to mention the sacking of Carl Dilena only twelve months ago after overseeing the reconstruction and deliverance of the club from the jaws of oblivion. Is that enough turmoil for you? Or shall I turmoil you some more?

I believe that the signs are there that there are problems with the senior executive within the club. Disagree if you wish, but I believe that we are dreaming to believe that we will win a flag anytime within the next ten years with things the way that they are.

Fifth Premiership ... Pffft! If they're only going to offer up motherhood statements then at least dream big. Make our mission statement ... We are Going to Win Three More Flags by 2030, and get the whole club on board with the belief of that message.

A fitfh Premiership is our goal ... WOW Who'd have thought that the club executive would put that on their mission statement? Funnily enough, I'll wager that Collingwood have winning their 16th at the top of their list too.

Honestly this whole thread has been about people (you people) pissing and moaning about the rights of certain individuals to be on the board. Their motives and so on. I haven't gone as far as some to lay the blame on any particular people, but I have suggested that we may have a lack of cohesion within our club's executive, and I have described the warning signs.

There's an old saying that "where there's smoke". We didn't finish nearly last, last year because our coach had personal issues. We didn't fall in a heap midway through the season the year before simply because Brad Scott alone had issues. We'd be putting our heads in the sand to think that the issue rests with the Coaches alone. That's just too damn convenient. After 11 players were told that their contracts wouldn't be renewed toward the end of the last season and the effective sacking of Ben Brown,. The media got a scent. If you want names ... The word on the streets being that Brady Rawlings and Ben Amarfio might be causing some angst and is clashing with Glenn Archer. It's also believed that Glenn Archer weilds too much influence across many departments and may have been very influential in the sacking of the last two coaches. If it's true then there are problems, Glenn is on the Board. But then, others suggest that Brady Rawlins has been deeply unhappy with the club's direction for almost twelve months. Not to mention the sacking of Carl Dilena only twelve months ago after overseeing the reconstruction and deliverance of the club from the jaws of oblivion. Is that enough turmoil for you? Or shall I turmoil you some more?

I believe that the signs are there that there are problems with the senior executive within the club. Disagree if you wish, but I believe that we are dreaming to believe that we will win a flag anytime within the next ten years with things the way that they are.

Fifth Premiership ... Pffft! If they're only going to offer up motherhood statements then at least dream big. Make our mission statement ... We are Going to Win Three More Flags by 2030, and get the whole club on board with the belief of that message.

So... ya got nothing?

You claimed there's turmoil on the board and then when you're called on it, you start pointing everywhere except the boardroom. Glenn Archer doing his job doesn't amount to turmoil inside the boardroom. Perhaps Arch should do nothing and accept mediocre results. Would that be better? Would that get us to premiership #5 faster?

Oddly enough, Snake claims there's too much cohesion on the board for his liking. That's his opinion, and maybe he's right. But you go to the opposite extreme and imagine that the board is fighting internally because... there's smoke???

Perhaps the smoke you detect is a little closer to home.

Last edited:
Like when certain posters pretended the VFL team had been axed for the W side.

"So this lot can play political dress ups" lol.

I find the VFL point a little unfair because if I remember the order of events correctly there was a period of great uncertainty surrounding the future of both the Women's side and the stand alone VFL side. Then it was confirmed our Women's team was being retained, meanwhile there was silence on the VFL front at a time when other clubs were announcing their decisions.

There was arguably some unflattering commentary and conclusions made, but there genuinely was a giant question in the air still as to whether we would retain a standalone VFL side.

I find the VFL point a little unfair because if I remember the order of events correctly there was a period of great uncertainty surrounding the future of both the Women's side and the stand alone VFL side. Then it was confirmed our Women's team was being retained, meanwhile there was silence on the VFL front at a time when other clubs were announcing their decisions.

There was arguably some unflattering commentary and conclusions made, but there genuinely was a giant question in the air still as to whether we would retain a standalone VFL side.

Daniel Cherny speculated and got it wrong and off the back of that folks built enormous towers of bullshit according to their own political views.

Daniel Cherny speculated and got it wrong and off the back of that folks built enormous towers of bullshit according to their own political views.
But am I wrong about the timing of official announcements? Because I'm pretty darn sure we did have certainty about the Women's team while there was at the time, and for quite a duration after, uncertainty about the VFL side.

So... ya got nothing?

You claimed there's turmoil on the board and then when you're called on it, you start pointing everywhere except the boardroom. Glenn Archer doing his job doesn't amount to turmoil inside the boardroom. Perhaps Arch should do nothing and accept mediocre results. Would that be better? Would that get us to premiership #5 faster?

Oddly enough, Snake claims there's too much cohesion on the board for his liking. That's his opinion, and maybe he's right. But you go to the opposite extreme and imagine that the board is fighting internally because... there's smoke???

Seriously? Not enough turmoil for you? I did not believe that I could have been any clearer but the 2021 season will tell. While I'm not the least bit hopeful, time by 2031 might prove me wrong. We might win that "Fifth Flag". In the mean time I'll keep coughing up the $640 that I'm paying per year for my membership which I maintain is little more than a donation these days and also keep my ill-informed (as you think) mouth shut. As a member, clearly you believe that I can't speak up or out when all of the warning signs are there that our club is in trouble.

Time will prove one of us wrong by 2031, and for the love of our club I do sincerely hope that it's me. I know when I'm talking to a brick wall and a denier. Anyway that's me done for the North Melbourne threads, good luck with it everyone. All the best for 2031.

Last edited:
Seriously? Not enough turmoil for you? I did not believe that I could have been any clearer but the 2021 season will tell. While I'm not the least bit hopeful, time by 2031 might prove me wrong. We might win that "Fifth Flag". In the mean time I'll keep coughing up the $640 that I'm paying per year for my membership which I maintain is little more than a donation these days and also keep my ill-informed (as you think) mouth shut. As a member, clearly you believe that I can't speak up or out when all of the warning signs are there that our club is in trouble.

Time will prove one of us wrong by 2031, and for the love of our club I do sincerely hope that it's me. I know when I'm talking to a brick wall and a denier. Anyway that's me done for the North Melbourne threads, good luck with it everyone. All the best for 2031.

Not one thing you said suggests turmoil within the board. NOT. ONE. THING.

As Snake points out, the board is incredibly cohesive. You are the only person imagining something different. Think about that for a moment. You are further isolated on this point than even Snake.

But am I wrong about the timing of official announcements? Because I'm pretty darn sure we did have certainty about the Women's team while there was at the time, and for quite a duration after, uncertainty about the VFL side.

I'm pretty sure that is all because there was certainty from AFL House regarding the future of the AFLW competition whereas there was no certainty and in fact, a whole heap of confusion over what form the VFL would take going forward.

I'm pretty sure that is all because there was certainty from AFL House regarding the future of the AFLW competition whereas there was no certainty and in fact, a whole heap of confusion over what form the VFL would take going forward.
If I remember right that's close, but not quite the full story. Yes, there were question marks on the format of the VFL (and it has significantly changed going forward) but other AFL clubs were broadcasting their decisions regarding their teams/affiliations while our club was silent on the matter, which just fuelled the conversation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only uncertainty about the VFL side was in people who took an unsourced media report as gospel.

Only people with prexisting political agendas then linked that non fact with the W side.

The club never said a single word indicating any intentions re the VFL team until it was announced we'd be part of the new comp.

The only uncertainty about the VFL side was in people who took an unsourced media report as gospel.

Only people with prexisting political agendas then linked that non fact with the W side.

The club never said a single word indicating any intentions re the VFL team until it was announced we'd be part of the new comp.

So I'm right about the timeline then?

The club not stating anything about the VFL team, while the Women's team was confirmed, is what fed the speculation. I don't disagree that some peoples' preconceived agendas fed into the speculation, but at the time the conclusion that we might end up with a standalone AFLW team but without a standalone VFL team wasn't wholly farfetched. Believing that those two things were related is a separate matter, but iirc that got quashed pretty fast (for the majority of people wondering wtf was going on) with some financial reports showing that the AFLW team is basically self sustaining financially via some big sponsors and AFL funding.

So I'm right about the timeline then?

The club not stating anything about the VFL team, while the Women's team was confirmed, is what fed the speculation. I don't disagree that some peoples' preconceived agendas fed into the speculation, but at the time the conclusion that we might end up with a standalone AFLW team but without a standalone VFL team wasn't wholly farfetched. Believing that those two things were related is a separate matter, but iirc that got quashed pretty fast (for the majority of people wondering wtf was going on) with some financial reports showing that the AFLW team is basically self sustaining financially via some big sponsors and AFL funding.

Good post, but it rests on the club having to prove a negative to "set people's minds at rest".

Were they meant to come out and say we're not considering ditching the VFL team?

Good post, but it rests on the club having to prove a negative to "set people's minds at rest".

Were they meant to come out and say we're not considering ditching the VFL team?

In this case, yes I do think they should have. Other clubs were officially announcing their intentions well before we did, with a few of those clubs not staying the course. There was some genuine uncertainty.

That doesn't mean they were obliged to tell us, but I did think it was a bit poor it took so long to get official word.

Took me a while to understand this rant, particularly given that I stated the club has a 5th premiership as a stated goal. I have provided no commentary on it either way.

Given opinions are appreciated though, I really don’t care what the club states to the fans, winning a premiership requires planning and luck. What I do look at though is talent on the list, team balance, and game plan.

In this, our game plan was garbage in 2020 and we are yet to see it in 2021. From a list perspective, I like the current mix but they are young so I like the potential but that’s no guarantee to a premiership on the future.

If you’re referring to me as “you people”, you might find that I rarely speak about the board and that’s because I have interest in the games not the board. I appreciate it’s important but I spend no time following it outside the often amusing banter with Paul Crapper before the last election.

I follow Sonja Hood on Twitter, don’t shoot me.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

In this case, yes I do think they should have. Other clubs were officially announcing their intentions well before we did, with a few of those clubs not staying the course. There was some genuine uncertainty.

That doesn't mean they were obliged to tell us, but I did think it was a bit poor it took so long to get official word.

The other clubs announcing their VFL plans did so before the AFL had released the VFL blueprint. They were either jumping the gun or trying to force the AFL's hand. NMFC waited until all facts were known before making an announcement.

No it wasn’t. :stern look

I don’t make things up mate, it was.

I can’t recall exactly where but I tweeted the below to Paul Amy soon after hearing and messaged around - probably on here last August when I heard or read it - can’t recalll exactly just yet but I’ll find it.
AD204FD1-7DB6-410D-820E-7DCD03D4CC3D.png

I don’t make things up mate, it was.

I can’t recall exactly where but I tweeted the below to Paul Amy soon after hearing and messaged around - probably on here last August when I heard or read it - can’t recalll exactly just yet but I’ll find it.
View attachment 1043989

Found one of them;

So... ya got nothing?

Who the * are you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back