Resource 2022 NMFC Membership thread - Final Tally: 50,191

Remove this Banner Ad

I got the following email this evening:

“Firstly, I would like to introduce myself and let you know I’ll be your personal membership account manager.

I am an extremely passionate North Melbourne and football tragic. I’ve been around football all my life and currently coach a junior footy team.

We are in a very exciting position as a football club. We have a very exciting young list complimented by experienced senior players, and a great new coach in David Noble who is well supported by a robust coaching group.

I’m really looking forward to seeing what we as a club can achieve over the next couple of years and look forward to seeing you on match day.

Off the field our membership services has changed a lot, however, I want to ensure you have all the information you need including my contact details so you can contact me directly with any questions you may have.

As you know, our memberships are now mobile meaning you will require your smart phone device to scan into the game, just like all fans have done throughout the AFLW, cricket and tennis this year.
We really appreciate your patience while we ensure a seamless and safe entry system into games.

We have compiled a list of FAQs which you can read on the membership website HERE.

My job as your account manager is to provide you with extra benefits and add a personal touch to your membership experience. I also look forward to providing your membership upgrade experiences and will keep you updated as we work with the State Government and health officials on when these can be rolled out this season. You can contact me on my email zac.pirrie@nmfc.com.au if you have any questions or request a call HERE.

Thank you for your ongoing loyalty and support, your passion for the Kangaroos is felt even when you are cheering from the couch. I look forward to seeing you in person at games this year and creating a great member experience for you.

Go Kangaroos!

Zac Pirrie
Membership Account Manager”

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have known Zac, for a long time. He’s a very good guy and will do what he can to help.

I feel like the personal membership account manager is really just there to up-sell some other game day experiences.

Don't think I've ever needed any membership support after I've received my membership card (but hey, maybe the mobile experience is so bad I'll be thankful to have someone to directly complain to, lol)

I feel like the personal membership account manager is really just there to up-sell some other game day experiences.

Don't think I've ever needed any membership support after I've received my membership card (but hey, maybe the mobile experience is so bad I'll be thankful to have someone to directly complain to, lol)
Yeah, I think you might be right.

The club need to be very careful here. They know that the membership base is very loyal and give what they can. I fear that some corporate membership think is making its way into the club and they will end up pissing off a lot of the base if they ain't careful.

I feel pretty distant from the club right now.

In fact I will go as far to say that the club is out of step with what members want, the very core of the why of be a member. To belong. Well I don't feel like I belong, I feel like the club is consistently putting barriers of their own design between myself and my family feeling like it is our club.

end of 2018 I downgraded from home and away games to just home games, as we sell 4 games get 4 replacements so costs goes up annually and the value I feel goes down, so we become home members only.

In 2019 they f***ed up the ordering of the social club medallions, which is no big deal except it took them all of the season to fix. I count myself pretty lucky TBH because I actually got a couple in the last round by asking the dude selling raffle tickets in the social club where there was any and he gave me one for each membership we have.

There was the last minute putting together of a dinner for our 150th year. because it was an after thought that members may actually want to celebrate something. I mean come on. Clubs should pay more respect to their members than that. Port do. You know how I know? Their events people were on our table looking for ideas on how to do their 150th celebration stuff. It is a direct comparison and honestly we lost.

Last year we paid our family membership all year. and yet were asked to cover the cost of postage of our membership packs to us. one month membership payment covered the cost of posting it tenfold. For the club to have covered the cost of members who were still paying their memberships would be considered goodwill and an indication that there is some sort of reciprocal relationship between us. They did not cover it and it was a missed opportunity for there to generate this. I mean I consider myself rusted on, but f*** we could watch games, I still contribute membership and box on (how in the f*** is this still a thing?) and you could just mail me and my kids their stuff? In fact if they had done that and then asked for donations to help the club recover from outlays of hubbing it up. I'd have put my hand in my pocket. you know why? because I would feel it was a reciprocal thing. Missed opportunity.

So my son turns 18, is a concession member, same as he was last year, but now he is considered an adult. Because of this he cannot be part of my family membership. So rather than being able to keep him in my family membership I was presented with options:
1. retain the family membership add an additional seat and the cost of a concession membership (which equals additional cost)
2. go to single memberships of our existing level (which foregoes any discounting for families and increases the amount of seats we have)
3. down grade and go to single memberships (which keeps the cost about the same)

Now it may seem petty but I went option 3. I cannot fathom how a concession membership last year and a concession membership this year cannot be included in a family membership. There is no cost difference between his level of membership. But there seemed like no options to accommodate this. Surely my family is not the first family to go through this, but you would have thought this was the most bizarre complex thing they had ever encountered when I was sorting it out.

A mate of mine who I influenced to get memberships with mine also downgraded, in part because through Covid his contracts have become inconsistent. While on the phone explaining this, the membership dude was still trying to get him to commit to the same level membership.

Digital membership fiasco. Not all clubs have moved digital. we have, I feel like this is a change forced upon my that I haven't opted for and had no voice to say what I wanted. Which is to say, in the relationship I have with the club they don't give a f*** what I want they are doing what they want.

At the heart of why I pissed off, is the the club not meeting my need to feel I belong. I love nothing more than standing in a crowd of Blue and White. My people. IDGAF who you are, where you are from, what you think, if you're a roo I want to stand beside you and watch our team. I want to feel like the club want me there too. The above is death of 1000 cuts. it is not a single thing, it is consistently under delivery on the most basic of reasons I buy my membership. But they keep taking that money.

The club is in desperate need of a membership experience department. one where the core ideal is not to get members to pay their memberships, but to strengthen the relationship individual members feel they have with the club. Right now the above for me paints a picture of a club that is tone deaf and not doing some really basic things right. a club that puts right now in front of the long game.

In fact I will go as far to say that the club is out of step with what members want, the very core of the why of be a member. To belong. Well I don't feel like I belong, I feel like the club is consistently putting barriers of their own design between myself and my family feeling like it is our club.

end of 2018 I downgraded from home and away games to just home games, as we sell 4 games get 4 replacements so costs goes up annually and the value I feel goes down, so we become home members only.

In 2019 they f***ed up the ordering of the social club medallions, which is no big deal except it took them all of the season to fix. I count myself pretty lucky TBH because I actually got a couple in the last round by asking the dude selling raffle tickets in the social club where there was any and he gave me one for each membership we have.

There was the last minute putting together of a dinner for our 150th year. because it was an after thought that members may actually want to celebrate something. I mean come on. Clubs should pay more respect to their members than that. Port do. You know how I know? Their events people were on our table looking for ideas on how to do their 150th celebration stuff. It is a direct comparison and honestly we lost.

Last year we paid our family membership all year. and yet were asked to cover the cost of postage of our membership packs to us. one month membership payment covered the cost of posting it tenfold. For the club to have covered the cost of members who were still paying their memberships would be considered goodwill and an indication that there is some sort of reciprocal relationship between us. They did not cover it and it was a missed opportunity for there to generate this. I mean I consider myself rusted on, but f*** we could watch games, I still contribute membership and box on (how in the f*** is this still a thing?) and you could just mail me and my kids their stuff? In fact if they had done that and then asked for donations to help the club recover from outlays of hubbing it up. I'd have put my hand in my pocket. you know why? because I would feel it was a reciprocal thing. Missed opportunity.

So my son turns 18, is a concession member, same as he was last year, but now he is considered an adult. Because of this he cannot be part of my family membership. So rather than being able to keep him in my family membership I was presented with options:
1. retain the family membership add an additional seat and the cost of a concession membership (which equals additional cost)
2. go to single memberships of our existing level (which foregoes any discounting for families and increases the amount of seats we have)
3. down grade and go to single memberships (which keeps the cost about the same)

Now it may seem petty but I went option 3. I cannot fathom how a concession membership last year and a concession membership this year cannot be included in a family membership. There is no cost difference between his level of membership. But there seemed like no options to accommodate this. Surely my family is not the first family to go through this, but you would have thought this was the most bizarre complex thing they had ever encountered when I was sorting it out.

A mate of mine who I influenced to get memberships with mine also downgraded, in part because through Covid his contracts have become inconsistent. While on the phone explaining this, the membership dude was still trying to get him to commit to the same level membership.

Digital membership fiasco. Not all clubs have moved digital. we have, I feel like this is a change forced upon my that I haven't opted for and had no voice to say what I wanted. Which is to say, in the relationship I have with the club they don't give a f*** what I want they are doing what they want.

At the heart of why I pissed off, is the the club not meeting my need to feel I belong. I love nothing more than standing in a crowd of Blue and White. My people. IDGAF who you are, where you are from, what you think, if you're a roo I want to stand beside you and watch our team. I want to feel like the club want me there too. The above is death of 1000 cuts. it is not a single thing, it is consistently under delivery on the most basic of reasons I buy my membership. But they keep taking that money.

The club is in desperate need of a membership experience department. one where the core ideal is not to get members to pay their memberships, but to strengthen the relationship individual members feel they have with the club. Right now the above for me paints a picture of a club that is tone deaf and not doing some really basic things right. a club that puts right now in front of the long game.

This will be hard to beat for POTY.

Noticed we have a job going is relevant to recent discussion.

Reporting to the Membership Growth Manager, the role will be responsible for:

Contacting prospects and lapsed members primarily via telesales, including email to encourage purchasing of membership.

Nurture sales leads, primarily premium member prospects.

Develop new sales tactics & ideas to grow our member base.

Follow up of customers via telephone, email, or mail after initial correspondence

Sell Club event products & fundraising products as required throughout the season

Assist with ad-hoc tasks as required by the consumer team

Upsell members to a higher level of package, including add-ons, to ensure we continue to grow yield

Grow the number of members on the payment plan program

Provide exceptional customer service at all times

Assist on match-days as required

Last edited:
Spoke to several friends today who, like me, did not get the link text for the praccy match. OK - they ended up showing it live without any registration so why make us go through the charade of this exclusive opportunity? Data mining obviously. Then they don't deliver. Just another membership failure. Can't wait until I get the first offer from the streaming sponsor...........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The email for the game link went out at 12:35PM. Over half an hour after the game began.

Unless you went to the Twitter page there was no way to access the link from the clubs website.

The actual email hit my inbox at 1:15 PM just as half time sounded.

I’ll say it now and I’ll say it again, we have the worst club administrative team in the whole league.

*Sound of a packed MCG clapping*

The email for the game link went out at 12:35PM. Over half an hour after the game began.

Unless you went to the Twitter page there was no way to access the link from the clubs website.

The actual email hit my inbox at 1:15 PM just as half time sounded.

I’ll say it now and I’ll say it again, we have the worst club administrative team in the whole league.
I got a text at 10:47 with log on details

I hope they're reading this and taking note.

When the hardcore types start dropping off then something seriously wrong is going on.
Like everything these days there will be 10 tiers of management to shield those at the top from any blowback what so ever from disgruntled members, sadly its just the way it is these days, I find it mildly amusing that some people actually believe that their complaints to a corporate body even get considered. there will be a standard cat and paste motherhood statement that will be undoubtedly peddled out.

The sad thing is i can accept this with regards to parasites such as insurance or banking firms but from the football club you support its a bit rich.

Noticed we have a job going is relevant to recent discussion.

Reporting to the Membership Growth Manager, the role will be responsible for:

Contacting prospects and lapsed members primarily via telesales, including email to encourage purchasing of membership.

Nurture sales leads, primarily premium member prospects.

Develop new sales tactics & ideas to grow our member base.

Follow up of customers via telephone, email, or mail after initial correspondence

Sell Club event products & fundraising products as required throughout the season

Assist with ad-hoc tasks as required by the consumer team

Upsell members to a higher level of package, including add-ons, to ensure we continue to grow yield

Grow the number of members on the payment plan program

Provide exceptional customer service at all times

Assist on match-days as required

This sounds like a telemarketer and almost the exact opposite of what I believe we need.

We are trying to sell people stuff without understanding what it is that makes people want to be a member.

Like everything these days there will be 10 tiers of management to shield those at the top from any blowback what so ever from disgruntled members, sadly its just the way it is these days, I find it mildly amusing that some people actually believe that their complaints to a corporate body even get considered. there will be a standard cat and paste motherhood statement that will be undoubtedly peddled out.

The sad thing is i can accept this with regards to parasites such as insurance or banking firms but from the football club you support its a bit rich.

There is a difference to being a member of a football club and being a consumer of a product and that is what is being missed.

How many members are members because they just liked the team and how many are members because of an emotional connection significantly deeper than that which is for in all likelihood generational?

For those that just like the team sure the corporate w***ery that is cut and paste responses may cut it.

For those with a deeper connection, there is a want to be acknowledged, as I mentioned earlier to belong.

It is the difference between transactional and relationship. relationships take effort from both sides, transactional well people will shop around for that stuff. then when the transactional stuff sours you can employ telemarketers to try and get back those that leave. It doesn't address teh root cause and you are perpetually building a pipeline of people getting annoyed and leaving.

And TBH there is a flaw in your banking and insurance analogy because at least they do the math and have things like retention teams to try and create the relationship. so in many ways they are better at it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back