Resource 2022 NMFC Membership thread - Final Tally: 50,191

Remove this Banner Ad

If the Afl are thinking of another rolling fixture for next year how are members suppose to plan to see games and use their memberships....a lot of supporters work during the week plus the fixtures can be rigged to favour some teams over others.....eg: Richmond are a slow starting team and build up for finals so the AFL give them lower teams to start with then have them play the higher teams towards the seasons end...Members wont purchase memberships if this happens....

If the Afl are thinking of another rolling fixture for next year how are members suppose to plan to see games and use their memberships....a lot of supporters work during the week plus the fixtures can be rigged to favour some teams over others.....eg: Richmond are a slow starting team and build up for finals so the AFL give them lower teams to start with then have them play the higher teams towards the seasons end...Members wont purchase memberships if this happens....
Those were my thoughts exactly in a few earlier posts. You are right, it makes it difficult when selecting your membership package options but what else can they do at the moment? Does the club come clean and admit that it can guarantee nothing thus allowing members to decide if they wish to renew for 2021? The club has already auto-renewed 20,000 members who have absolutely no guarantee that we will see a game in Melbourne in 2021 much less provide us with a game seasonal fixture until February at the earliest. More-over, the AFL is already stating that the 2021 fixtures may be announced in six to eight-round packages. Yes a vaccine appears to be on the way, but that vaccine will not be widely produced, distributed and applied until the third or fourth quarter of next year. In the mean time the AFL's reality is that we will be dealing with possible border and community lock downs well into next year.

It's an ethical dilemma facing ALL teams and not just us. Are our membership departments to stop ringing, emailing and harassing the non-autorenewal members (as they do) to renew memberships over the off-season? It's fu*ked up. Yes we know that. Each member has to look at their own individual financial circumstances and be prepared to ask ourselves whether we are effectively prepared to make what might amount to nothing more than a donation to their team's membership department in 2021 as we did in 2020?

The answer to that is not easy in an environment where there are still a great many people in our community who are not effectively back at work or who have permanently lost their jobs because their former employers have been forced to permanently close. This isn't the fault of our club and all AFL clubs are facing the same dilemma. I might argue that North are in a much better financial position than the bigger clubs who enjoy bigger memberships and pokies revenue and who have adjusted their spending habits accordingly. In other words they have developed champagne spending habits but now have to adjust their big spending habits and ambitions to a beer income.

If we consider that the following clubs are Pokie dependent (Official 2019 AFL declared figures):
  • Hawthorn $24.7 million
  • Carlton $17.8 million
  • Essendon $11.1 million
  • Geelong $7 million
  • Western Bulldogs $5.8 million
  • Richmond $5.3 million
  • Melbourne $2.8 million
  • Saint Kilda $2.3 million.
These clubs have lost that revenue this year alone, while North Melbourne has litterally always ran on "fumes" compared to these champagne spending clubs. If it comes down to tin tacks the question is whether we can adjust to a lower membership in 2021? I would suggest that we are better placed to absorb that big hit than the eight clubs listed above.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Those were my thoughts exactly in a few earlier posts. You are right, it makes it difficult when selecting your membership package options but what else can they do at the moment? Does the club come clean and admit that it can guarantee nothing thus allowing members to decide if they wish to renew for 2021? The club has already auto-renewed 20,000 members who have absolutely no guarantee that we will see a game in Melbourne in 2021 much less provide us with a game seasonal fixture until February at the earliest. More-over, the AFL is already stating that the 2021 fixtures may be announced in six to eight-round packages. Yes a vaccine appears to be on the way, but that vaccine will not be widely produced, distributed and applied until the third or fourth quarter of next year. In the mean time the AFL's reality is that we will be dealing with possible border and community lock downs well into next year.

It's an ethical dilemma facing ALL teams and not just us. Are our membership departments to stop ringing, emailing and harassing the non-autorenewal members (as they do) to renew memberships over the off-season? It's fu*ked up. Yes we know that. Each member has to look at their own individual financial circumstances and be prepared to ask ourselves whether we are effectively prepared to make what might amount to nothing more than a donation to their team's membership department in 2021 as we did in 2020?

The answer to that is not easy in an environment where there are still a great many people in our community who are not effectively back at work or who have permanently lost their jobs because their former employers have been forced to permanently close. This isn't the fault of our club and all AFL clubs are facing the same dilemma. I might argue that North are in a much better financial position than the bigger clubs who enjoy bigger memberships and pokies revenue and who have adjusted their spending habits accordingly. In other words they have developed champagne spending habits but now have to adjust their big spending habits and ambitions to a beer income.

If we consider that the following clubs are Pokie dependent (Official 2019 AFL declared figures):
  • Hawthorn $24.7 million
  • Carlton $17.8 million
  • Essendon $11.1 million
  • Geelong $7 million
  • Western Bulldogs $5.8 million
  • Richmond $5.3 million
  • Melbourne $2.8 million
  • Saint Kilda $2.3 million.
These clubs have lost that revenue this year alone, while North Melbourne has litterally always ran on "fumes" compared to these champagne spending clubs. If it comes down to tin tacks the question is whether we can adjust to a lower membership in 2021? I would suggest that we are better placed to absorb that big hit than the eight clubs listed above.

Thoughts?
One of the biggest problems that face the clubs are, how are the admittance to games going to be decided? Is it members first with the highest memberships getting priority? Is it balloted? Is it first come first served or an even proportion from each section of memberships and casual supporters, and how can clubs justify the amount of the cost of memberships. Maybe admittance to games might be given to home club supporters only and clubs will only be able to sell home game memberships with no oppsoition supporter allowed. ...This is going to be a headache for clubs .

One of the biggest problems that face the clubs are, how are the admittance to games going to be decided? Is it members first with the highest memberships getting priority? Is it balloted? Is it first come first served or an even proportion from each section of memberships and casual supporters, and how can clubs justify the amount of the cost of memberships. Maybe admittance to games might be given to home club supporters only and clubs will only be able to sell home game memberships with no oppsoition supporter allowed. ...This is going to be a headache for clubs .
Yep, that's certainly another perspective on the matters that the AFL will need to address by next March. Nobody thinks that it will be easy, that's for sure. I would conservatively estimate that the uncertainty of game fixturing and crowd access at stadiums by next February will impact ALL AFL clubs by a 20-25% hit to club memberships across the board. I imagine that all teams are bracing themselves for that.

Last edited:
Technically you’re correct.

fwiw - you’ll probably die of old age before you get upgraded and a 3rd of the membership fee goes to the club you nominate as your support.

I reckon a Kayo subscription is looking better & better every day.

I have $500 credit through AFL travel that has to be used by April 6th and was hoping that a game might be squeezed in for a Crows game because I had such a great time there at that 2016 Final...

Last edited:
It’s just another pit to burn money in which reminds me to cancel tomorrow

Give it the flick in the off season and get it on in the footy season.

~$200 a year and you can watch every single game of the season plus more.

That'll do me. I can go to individual games as it suits me, and I know where to go to get finals tickets. I'm sorted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure that their pokie venues have child minding facilities ... they're called car parks.
Car parks ... you all know ... it's where the Hawthorn supporters park their Audi Q5's, Range Rovers, and BMW X5's.

Car parks ... it's where Richmond supporters dump their latest "acquired" car at the end of a drive-by or joy-ride and where the Collingwood supporters move in soon afterward and strip them for parts.

Last edited:
And if they are sending out the membership bumper sticker, does anybody know if it comes with the complementary classic deluxe custom designer luxury prestige high-quality premium select gourmet pocket flashlight?

From the email the club sent me

Thank you for jumping on board as a member in 2021.

We wanted to let you know that your delivery has been dispatched and is on its way to you at the below address in approximately 7 to 14 days.

My Address

A reminder packs are sent to AFLW, Future Roos and Baby Joey members as well as those who have purchased a souvenir card, member scarf or other member merchandise. The member pack for 2021 is mobile and will arrive to your inbox shortly.

Anyone know how the numbers are tracking?
We’ve had a decent run of positive news stories over the last month which should help.
I should imagine that numbers are down across all clubs. No club has published figures via Ticketmaster yet. It might be embarrassing for the AFL as a whole to publish figures that are up to 40-60% down, or they might consider that there is no point to doing so yet as the surge in numbers beyond the automatic renewals is not likely to occur until mid-late February.

Given that we don't have a fixture yet and won't get anything resembling one until early February it's reasonable to assume that apart from those who's memberships are automatically renewed (and with North Melbourne I think that's approx. 18,000) the majority are not likely to want to renew until they see some sort of fixturing.

If I were a betting woman I would guesstimate that North Melbourne's membership figures ATM are likely to be around 18-19,000.

"The member pack for 2021 is mobile and will arrive to your inbox shortly."
Honestly? Goodness I hope that it includes a fridge magnet so that we can affix our mobile phones to the fridge, or perhaps there's a "Magnet" app that we can download via Google Play. Not completely sure how we are to attach our mobile app bumper stickers to our cars either?

No fixture, no complete player list, but at least we have a Coach and another bloody new mural at Arden Street. Looking forward to the 2021 season already :thumbsdownv1: :cautiousv1::cautiousv1: YAY!!! GO ROOS!

Last edited:
i know they are doing a digital membership pack next year but are they even going to send out a membership bumper sticker?
It'll be an app, you get your sticker via Google Play :grinv1: I hear that your mobile phone will connect to your car via Bluetooth and make your LED indicators flash blue and white instead of amber :winkv1:

i know they are doing a digital membership pack next year but are they even going to send out a membership bumper sticker?
Judging on what came with my kids' membership packs, I would say no.

Was just the bag and a small ball. They have to take a punch card (very high tech I know) to games to get the usual stickers, posters and other extras. I think it was something like, attend 1 game get a poster, 2 games get stickers and so on. They were a bit underwhelmed, and I'm sure the punch cards have already gone missing.

Honestly? Goodness I hope that it includes a fridge magnet so that we can affix our mobile phones to the fridge, or perhaps there's a "Magnet" app that we can download via Google Play. Not completely sure how we are to attach our mobile app bumper stickers to our cars either?

No fixture, no complete player list, but at least we have a Coach and another bloody new mural at Arden Street. Looking forward to the 2021 season already :thumbsdownv1: :cautiousv1::cautiousv1: YAY!!! GO ROOS!
No complete player list? Is that just us? Did we miss the draft?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

No complete player list? Is that just us? Did we miss the draft?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
We certainly are a bit leaner and trimmer in the player department to where we were twelve months ago. But I think that that might be across the board with all teams. Anyway, enjoy our new mural and your mobile membership pack. I know I will :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back