2021 NON AFL Thread - finance, ratings, participation etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Having beaten COVID-19, NRL sets its sights on conquering the Pacific (msn.com)

In response to this proposal I am thinking that as an Australian taxpayer, why should tens of millions be spent by the federal government on promoting a sport in other countries?
It can be useful in terms of building soft power for trade or diplomacy benefits (or at least that was the reasoning for the Port Adelaide China game). The problem is that Pacific Island nations are all puny in terms of economic size, we're already a major trading partner with all of them, and rugby league is not uniquely Australian.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Interesting new player in media space for smaller sports with what seems to be a faith in the value of international soccer in the Australian media market:

'... a Sydney-founded platform called Sports Flick.

Sports Flick was actually founded by Dylan Azzopardi over two years ago, but most of that time has flown under the radar with broadcasts of European handball, Indian and Panama baseball, Ju-Jitsu, Serbian rugby league, and more slightly off-piste sporting events.

But over the past few months, a football-led content strategy for Sports Flick has emerged. It secured the rights for the UEFA Women’s Champions League in December, the Nicaraguan Liga Primera, Arabian Gulf League, Korea’s K-League (which has previously been held by Optus Sport), and today, the Austrian Tipico Bundesliga.
Following the announcement of the K-League broadcast deal, Azzopardi revealed that Sports Flick will soon announce deals for four more football leagues, which will certainly make its $14.99 a month (or $99.99 a year) price point more competitive. '

Sports Flick emerges as a serious player in the Aussie sports streaming battle (mumbrella.com.au)

Not a player for the major sports that look to media rights as their big money earner.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
It can be useful in terms of building soft power for trade or diplomacy benefits (or at least that was the reasoning for the Port Adelaide China game). The problem is that Pacific Island nations are all puny in terms of economic size, we're already a major trading partner with all of them, and rugby league is not uniquely Australian.
The islands are very important for our "trade" routes, especially to America. Lose the islands and we lose our link to our major alliance partner. See WW2. We could afford to lose Darwin(etc Brisbane line), but the Americans knew they couldn't afford to lose Samoa or Fiji long term. They were as important as Brisbane and Hawaii.

They may be small in land size and population, but they have huge maritime borders and are unsinkable aircraft carriers. This is all part of the great game of international diplomacy. The contents don't really matter. Just making sure they stay under our influence.

And the NRL is Australian. It is wasn't, then PNG would not have RL as its number 1 sport.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The islands are very important for our "trade" routes, especially to America. Lose the islands and we lose our link to our major alliance partner. See WW2. We could afford to lose Darwin(etc Brisbane line), but the Americans knew they couldn't afford to lose Samoa or Fiji long term. They were as important as Brisbane and Hawaii.

They may be small in land size and population, but they have huge maritime borders and are unsinkable aircraft carriers. This is all part of the great game of international diplomacy. The contents don't really matter. Just making sure they stay under our influence.

And the NRL is Australian. It is wasn't, then PNG would not have RL as its number 1 sport.

When I read the article my first thought was for Union. Not sure where the plus is for Aus in a NRL/RA struggle for talent.

Agree on the influence but there are better ways to spend the money, e.g the work that Aussies wont do picking fruit.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I said that rugby league isn't uniquely Australian, and it isn't. New Zealand has at least some interest in the game too. That's irrelevant if the point is strengthening the military alliance with these nations, but it is somewhat relevant when it comes to trade relations.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I said that rugby league isn't uniquely Australian, and it isn't. New Zealand has at least some interest in the game too. That's irrelevant if the point is strengthening the military alliance with these nations, but it is somewhat relevant when it comes to trade relations.
NZ and Aus are one and the same in terms of the global wider picture.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Well, a couple of weeks into rugby's new deal with 9 & Stan and the 2 games on Gem have achieved national ratings of 97k and 84k. Would have thought that's not a great result - 9 could fill the timeslot with any cheap filler and get those sort of numbers. Double the A-League though, and that's on the ABC's main channel. But I would have thought that's the least they'd expect given there are a lot less rugby teams and the A-League's current levels of popularity are beyond dire.

Anyone heard what Stan sport's subscriber numbers are like? I guess that's what 9 are paying for.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sammoll

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne City FC, Southampton FC
Brisbane Broncos got a crowd of 28k at their opening game tonight. Very real possibility that the Lions can get a larger crowd at their opening game next week against Sydney.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
Well, a couple of weeks into rugby's new deal with 9 & Stan and the 2 games on Gem have achieved national ratings of 97k and 84k. Would have thought that's not a great result - 9 could fill the timeslot with any cheap filler and get those sort of numbers. Double the A-League though, and that's on the ABC's main channel. But I would have thought that's the least they'd expect given there are a lot less rugby teams and the A-League's current levels of popularity are beyond dire.

Anyone heard what Stan sport's subscriber numbers are like? I guess that's what 9 are paying for.

Both statements correct.
Any crap filler repeats from the 60s would get higher ratings.
But it's still double what the A-League gets, which is why it's funny listening to soccer fans dreaming of commercial TV stations paying good money to show A-League games.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Sunday NRL on Fox
Raiders/Tigers 259,000
Dragons/Sharks 226,000

NRL on Foxtel STV boxes rated 2.022m for R1, up 16.27% on R1, 2020 and the highest rating R1 on Fox since 2018.

SUNDAY AFTERNOON NRL LIVE

• LIVE VIEWING
    • Dominated afternoon timeslot in Sydney and Brisbane.
    • Peak audience across NSW & QLD: 582,000 (Metro: 336,000 / Regional: 245,000).
    • Average audience across NSW & QLD: 417,000 (Metro: 243,000 / Regional: 175,000).

R1 of the 2021 NRL season was watched by 3.844m viewers on 9 and Foxtels traditional networks. (a further 152,000 watched Thursday night footy on Fox Go/NOW/Kayo). This figure is up 4.7% on R1 2020, due to a big increase in Foxtel ratings.(+16%).

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
Sunday NRL on Fox
Raiders/Tigers 259,000
Dragons/Sharks 226,000

NRL on Foxtel STV boxes rated 2.022m for R1, up 16.27% on R1, 2020 and the highest rating R1 on Fox since 2018.

SUNDAY AFTERNOON NRL LIVE

• LIVE VIEWING
    • Dominated afternoon timeslot in Sydney and Brisbane.
    • Peak audience across NSW & QLD: 582,000 (Metro: 336,000 / Regional: 245,000).
    • Average audience across NSW & QLD: 417,000 (Metro: 243,000 / Regional: 175,000).

R1 of the 2021 NRL season was watched by 3.844m viewers on 9 and Foxtels traditional networks. (a further 152,000 watched Thursday night footy on Fox Go/NOW/Kayo). This figure is up 4.7% on R1 2020, due to a big increase in Foxtel ratings.(+16%).
Lets see how the RL goes when they come up against the AFL next week!
The Nrl total crowds were 116,141 for an average of 14,515 per match.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
Lets see how the RL goes when they come up against the AFL next week!
The Nrl total crowds were 116,141 for an average of 14,515 per match.

An average of 14,515 at this time is quite good, I would have thought, TV ratings are excellent.
The AFL will probably get double that attendance average first round, across 9 games, probably, just have to hope there are no last minute complications.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
A guy calling himself the 'nrl economist' I think might be overvaluing the worth of social media likes over memberships and bums on seats.

He and I had a disagreement with the commercial value of this sort of thing last year regarding NRL clubs. He was talking about how social media had declined at some clubs and that hurt their commercial value, when i pointed out that the commercial value hadnt had an actual decline financially, he told me i had to look beyond the finances to determine commercial value.

Incidentally, looking back Georgina Robinson can also get stuffed. I was damn right about the value of the AFL future fund not increasing.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
He and I had a disagreement with the commercial value of this sort of thing last year regarding NRL clubs. He was talking about how social media had declined at some clubs and that hurt their commercial value, when i pointed out that the commercial value hadnt had an actual decline financially, he told me i had to look beyond the finances to determine commercial value.

Incidentally, looking back Georgina Robinson can also get stuffed. I was damn right about the value of the AFL future fund not increasing.

WTF! That dude is ridiculous

It is amazing how often it is the people with no clue whatsoever that carry on like they possess some rare level of expertise

This is one of the more stupid things I have read this week

Please don't base your assumptions of commercial strength on annual reports. That is too simplistic. True journalism is accessing data which is considered commercial in confidence.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
Well if more than double the attendances and triple the memberships didn't tell you more than you needed to know, how about the fact that multinationals and Australia's biggest corporations throw double or even triple the money at the AFL and clubs than the NRL in terms of sponsorships.
They clearly aren't paying a whole lot of attention to the facebook likes!
But if you're a scammer, or a weight loss company or offer some other dodgy service - then you'll be chasing all those NRL likes on facebook!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back