2021 NON AFL Thread - finance, ratings, participation etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see 10 have now picked up the NBL - they're going to show 2 live games back to back on a multichannel.

Doesn't seem overly groundbreaking TBH - Channel 10 don't rate highly and won't get many people watching outside people that actively want to watch.

I see 10 have now picked up the NBL - they're going to show 2 live games back to back on a multichannel.

Doesn't seem overly groundbreaking TBH - Channel 10 don't rate highly and won't get many people watching outside people that actively want to watch.
The bronze medal was groundbreaking though, so I guess this retread will test whether that result itself manifests in an increase of people that actively want to watch.

Possibly to do with 10's strongest demographic:
Network 10 has had year-on-year commercial share growth for 13 of the last 15 months, with 10 the only commercial primary channel to grow in 2020, up 6% across the year in total people and 6% in under 50s. 10 is also #2 in 16 to 39s.
30 Nov 2020

The bronze medal was groundbreaking though, so I guess this retread will test whether that result itself manifests in an increase of people that actively want to watch.

Might be a small kick, but IMO it'll be insignificant. Big difference watching the Boomers at the Olympics and watching the NBL. If there's any benefit it would be more likely to be seen at grass roots level.

The suggestion of offering Origin from the NRL rights speculation getting a run again:

'Nine Network boss Mike Sneesby has fired a shot across the bow of the NRL, warning them that they risk diluting the value of their broadcast rights if they sell the State of Origin series and premiership matches as separate entities.
The Australian on Tuesday revealed that the Seven Network was eyeing off the jewel in rugby league’s crown, State of Origin. Seven are also said to be interested in securing rights to at least one premiership match per round while the Ten Network have been linked with grabbing a slice of the NRL pie.'

Never know if its news or just a slow news day.

The suggestion of offering Origin from the NRL rights speculation getting a run again:

'Nine Network boss Mike Sneesby has fired a shot across the bow of the NRL, warning them that they risk diluting the value of their broadcast rights if they sell the State of Origin series and premiership matches as separate entities.
The Australian on Tuesday revealed that the Seven Network was eyeing off the jewel in rugby league’s crown, State of Origin. Seven are also said to be interested in securing rights to at least one premiership match per round while the Ten Network have been linked with grabbing a slice of the NRL pie.'

You can see Seven's thinking, with both the AFL rights and SOO, they cement themselves as the number FTA for years to come.
TEN's need is obvious, they get smashed every week, even by the ABC.
And Nine is stating the bleeding obvious that all of this dilutes the value of the NRL to them (but they want to remain no. 2, so they will fight to retain it).
The package of both NRL and SOO together is worth more than the two being separated. Part of the appeal of having both is being able to weave a complete story throughout the season. Being the one stop shop for the whole lot.
If you have just the SOO, it's just three nights per week, Seven might have a good reason to try and get it, but I don't really see how it helps out TEN all that much - just to win three rating nights for the year? Is it really worth that much?
Having said that, if TEN get the one game per round that they are after, 24 x 500k in ratings is the equivalent of the total ratings for 3 SOOs.

You can see Seven's thinking, with both the AFL rights and SOO, they cement themselves as the number FTA for years to come.
TEN's need is obvious, they get smashed every week, even by the ABC.
And Nine is stating the bleeding obvious that all of this dilutes the value of the NRL to them (but they want to remain no. 2, so they will fight to retain it).
The package of both NRL and SOO together is worth more than the two being separated. Part of the appeal of having both is being able to weave a complete story throughout the season. Being the one stop shop for the whole lot.
If you have just the SOO, it's just three nights per week, Seven might have a good reason to try and get it, but I don't really see how it helps out TEN all that much - just to win three rating nights for the year? Is it really worth that much?
Having said that, if TEN get the one game per round that they are after, 24 x 500k in ratings is the equivalent of the total ratings for 3 SOOs.

Advertising rates may be a big part of the jigsaw.

this has kind of been denied by Seven too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Preliminary final 1 - Friday, September 24: 7.50pm at Suncorp Stadium

Winner of Qualifying Final 2 v Winner of Semi-Final 1

Preliminary final 2 - Saturday, September 25: 7.50pm at Suncorp Stadium

Melbourne Storm v Winner of Semi-Final 2

How stupid are the NRL putting the Storm PF up against the AFL GF? This will ensure a drubbing for CH9 in Melbourne!

I suspect it's more about damaging AFL GF numbers in Sydney than it is about increasing them in Melbourne. V'Landys seems like the sort of guy that would be happy to take 3 or 4 steps backwards if he could have 1 step forward. Then back himself in to sell the 1 step forward as some sort of great achievement.

On an unrelated topic, Channel 10 came 6th last night. They weren't just outrated by SBS, they were also outrated by 7mate. Not that it has anything directly to do with sport, but it's probably why they're happy to take a punt on the A-League on their main channel. They don't have anything to lose.

I suspect it's more about damaging AFL GF numbers in Sydney than it is about increasing them in Melbourne. V'Landys seems like the sort of guy that would be happy to take 3 or 4 steps backwards if he could have 1 step forward. Then back himself in to sell the 1 step forward as some sort of great achievement.

On an unrelated topic, Channel 10 came 6th last night. They weren't just outrated by SBS, they were also outrated by 7mate. Not that it has anything directly to do with sport, but it's probably why they're happy to take a punt on the A-League on their main channel. They don't have anything to lose.

Ive been told they arent bidding on AFL or NRL either. They are very much all in on soccer at this point.

Ive been told they arent bidding on AFL or NRL either. They are very much all in on soccer at this point.

Not sure who you've been told by (that has any credibility) given they've publicly stated the would consider bidding on the NRL for 23 to 27.....and the AFL's is not available until the end of 2024

They would be nuts to go head to head with an AFL grand final. It would be a case of asking for whom the bell tolls.

They are still trying to sell their FTA rights as well

It will only be pride that stops them from moving it.......and so with V'Landys at the helm it is a good chance they won't!

The stinker ratings they got for a round 3 WCQ last week at a decent time must be concerning for them still.

What is going to be funny is when channel 10s multis consistently out rate the soccer on the main channel

Source is within ViacomCBS.

Given the executive vice president was happy to be publicly quoted just a month ago saying in the context of the currently-for-sale NRL FTA rights

“Every time the big sports come around, we have a really good look at them. These things only come around once every four or five years so you’ve got to do a good bit of analysis on anything.”

...I'm not sure who your contact at ViacomCBS is that has credibility in insisting ViacomCBS wouldn't be bidding for the AFL rights from 2025

Given the executive vice president was happy to be publicly quoted just a month ago saying in the context of the currently-for-sale NRL FTA rights

Good for him

...I'm not sure who your contact at ViacomCBS is that has credibility in insisting ViacomCBS wouldn't be bidding for the AFL rights from 2025

Im only relaying what im told from people at Ten. I dont really care if your sure or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back