2021 NON AFL Thread - finance, ratings, participation etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why should taxpayers money be used to pay for sports stadiums.?
If sports teams want new stadiums or stadium rebuilds that should use their own money and not rely on taxpayers
In which case, the NRL and A-League would NEVER have any decent new stadiums.
The AFL is the only one that has actually contributed worthwhile sums - tens of millions of dollars - for stadium developments.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Economic flow to the city/state for one.

Take Adelaide Oval - specifically cited by pretty much everyone since it opened - there were very tangible benefits from having a new stadium located right in the CBD for CBD tourism and business. 30-50,000 visitors to town every weekend during winter cant be ignored.

So long as the teams/sports pay a fair rent - thats only partially the case in Adelaide where the SANFL/SACA makes all the money - then I dont mind so much. I draw the line at tens of millions of taxpayer money flowing to training facilities though.
I guess it comes down to peoples definition of fair rent i guess

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos

Looks like it's going to be an interesting expose.
The whitebread in-bred parochial suburban AFL might learn a thing or two about how sports should be governed.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
It's not news regarding Melbourne City ownership. That has been on public record since they were brought out.

Soccer club ownership is a problem not unique to the A-league. For example, The English FA "fit and proper person test" has failed so many times to protect the interests of the club and fans. For example, Notts County 10 years ago is a prime example. For those who don't know, Notts County was brought by a con-man who didn't have any money.

The world of soccer is all very messy.

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
It's not news regarding Melbourne City ownership. That has been on public record since they were brought out.

Soccer club ownership is a problem not unique to the A-league. For example, The English FA "fit and proper person test" has failed so many times to protect the interests of the club and fans. For example, Notts County 10 years ago is a prime example. For those who don't know, Notts County was brought by a con-man who didn't have any money.

The world of soccer is all very messy.
Lets hope the AFL can keep the Members owning the clubs for a long time!

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Looks like it's going to be an interesting expose.
The whitebread in-bred parochial suburban AFL might learn a thing or two about how sports should be governed.

It's funny and sad at the same time.

Australian Soccer's problem is that that stunted, infantile perspective is so pervasive - include among those meant to hold it to account - that there is no capacity to sort its own shyt out to achieve even basic standards. Bonita Mersiades seems like the only actual journalist worthy of the name in all Australian soccer.

Private ownership in European soccer is bad enough but the point is the lack of any standards or transparency.

I just had a quick look for how the Australian soccer "journalists" are responding to this on the twitter through Vince Rugari's account. It is full wagon circling like a cult that survives on grievance and victim hood that receives some outside attention

Here is the Vincent Rugari "this is old news" take.....

And, because he liked this, here is some journo called Ben McKay taking whataboutery to new levels of absurdity

These are the journalists!

Anyway, hopefully out of this Soccer Australia / APL will at least be shamed into establishing some basic standards around transparency of franchise ownership

Last edited:

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
Australian soccer has always suffered from a persecution complex (the big bad AFL is trying kill it off!) and an inferiority complex and their Journos perpetuate these traits!

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Don't a lot of them watch through kayo these days? I did hear the nrl grand final is struggling to sell out as usual. Not sure if that's correct or not the stadium only holds 50k in a so called league heartland. Tickets are only $50 or so too. Again not sure if that's correct.

So the only thing you know is .... :rolleyes: ....

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Don't a lot of them watch through kayo these days? I did hear the nrl grand final is struggling to sell out as usual. Not sure if that's correct or not the stadium only holds 50k in a so called league heartland. Tickets are only $50 or so too. Again not sure if that's correct.

NRL Grand Final is officiallyu sold out.

Apr 9, 2003
Skinner Reserve
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Soccer's persecution complex on full display again.

1632886129148.png

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's ******* stupid and the only likely outcome is devaluing the A-League brand.

But I wouldn't rule out the AFL doing something similar in the future by renaming the AFL to the AFL M.

I would think it would be a long way into the future I suspect

The key difference is the AFL are genuinely motivated to make the AFLW its own brand and the commercial benefits that come with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back