2021 NON AFL Thread - finance, ratings, participation etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Burrowes (17:21):

Now, something you touched on about the importance of live TV of course is arguably the two staples of live TV are sport and news. Arguably, if I had to pick the three sales directors, you've got the toughest job because you've got the least sport and arguably the least news resource as well. Is that a fair observation?

Rod Prosser (17:45):

I love being an underdog, Tim. It's the way we roll. Look, I don't see it that way. I mean, I'm sure others might, but I don't see it that way. I see we have such a huge opportunity with football, otherwise known as soccer in this country, but we're now the home of football and we position ourselves that way. We'll continue to grow that sport. Look, we always went into football knowing that it was such a huge opportunity to grow the sport. It meant a lot to us in terms of how that positions, it's really inclusive, it's diverse, it certainly stood for a lot of the things that we stood for, so it made a lot of sense. And of course it's a global game.

Tim Burrowes (19:31):

With A League, I presume something like that takes a year or two to really get all of the sponsors aligned. So presumably these few months, we are not really seeing everything you'd hope to see yet in terms of support.

Rod Prosser (19:45):

Well, look, I think from sponsors, we've got the commitments and the categories that we were chasing. So I'm really pleased with where we've landed and we've actually exceeded expectations commercially. The journey now we have is to really get Australians aware that it's actually being broadcast and where it's being broadcast, obviously a lot of the games are on Paramount Plus. That's a really good subs driver for us, but equally we want to make it available to all Australians. So there's games on 10play. Of course, there's games on Ten as well. So we always knew it was a building journey with this sport, but we've been really encouraged with both A-League's ratings and of course the international games, they dominated the demos and have performed really well for us. But yeah, it's a long partnership. We've got five years, we've taken equity within the APL. So we're behind it 100%.

Last edited:
they are becoming the 3rd ranked summer sport behind cricket and basketball now, so its much of a muchness really..

With winter sports AFL, NRL and RU that makes them 6th overall.

They are 30 years away from making an impact against the NRL/AFL..

Soccer might make an impact but NOT against other sports.
That's onr of the problems with soccer -there have to work out what they want as a sustainable model and NOT the dominant code.

By that time the AFL will be so dominant it will barely notice them.

There is still plenty of room for the AFL (and even the NRL) to improve as in previously low participation areas - not so soccer.
Soccer will be lucky if can compete with AFLW.

I see we have such a huge opportunity .

Have been hearing that from the sixties.
Hey, AFL has an even bigger opportunity in the U.S.A.

otherwise known as soccer in this country,

Same old arrogance it seems. wHY MENTION THIS ?

it's really inclusive,

Not what immediately comes to mind with soccer and it's history.

it's diverse,

Still heavily a migrant game.
If you look around, all sports are diverse because Australia is a land of immigrants.

And of course it's a global game.

Of course, that must detract from realistic thinking.

That's onr of the problems with soccer -there have to work out what they want as a sustainable model and NOT the dominant code.
Been saying this for years. Soccer is the biggest sport in the world but for various reasons it has never been so in Australia, and now Australia is what we’d call a mature market.

Perhaps understandably, Australian soccer fans assume it will “take” here like it has in other countries.

There is no reason to make that assumption. Most Australians have seen a game or two of soccer. If they haven’t flocked to it by now, they’re probably never going to.

With winter sports AFL, NRL and RU that makes them 6th overall.

There is still plenty of room for the AFL (and even the NRL) to improve as in previously low participation areas - not so soccer.
Soccer will be lucky if can compete with AFLW.

Well said on all fronts.

Theres currently 500 Australian mens soccer players playing overseas at the moment. The general public wouldnt know 495 of them.

Unless the A-league can compete with an overseas offer, both financially and as a genuine pathway to big leagues, these 500 players arent coming back any time soon.

Now, something you touched on about the importance of live TV of course is arguably the two staples of live TV are sport and news. Arguably, if I had to pick the three sales directors, you've got the toughest job because you've got the least sport and arguably the least news resource as well. Is that a fair observation?

I love being an underdog, Tim. It's the way we roll. Look, I don't see it that way. I mean, I'm sure others might, but I don't see it that way. I see we have such a huge opportunity with football, otherwise known as soccer in this country, but we're now the home of football and we position ourselves that way. We'll continue to grow that sport. Look, we always went into football knowing that it was such a huge opportunity to grow the sport. It meant a lot to us in terms of how that positions, it's really inclusive, it's diverse, it certainly stood for a lot of the things that we stood for, so it made a lot of sense. And of course it's a global game.

With A League, I presume something like that takes a year or two to really get all of the sponsors aligned. So presumably these few months, we are not really seeing everything you'd hope to see yet in terms of support.

Well, look, I think from sponsors, we've got the commitments and the categories that we were chasing. So I'm really pleased with where we've landed and we've actually exceeded expectations commercially. The journey now we have is to really get Australians aware that it's actually being broadcast and where it's being broadcast, obviously a lot of the games are on Paramount Plus. That's a really good subs driver for us, but equally we want to make it available to all Australians. So there's games on 10play. Of course, there's games on Ten as well. So we always knew it was a building journey with this sport, but we've been really encouraged with both A-League's ratings and of course the international games, they dominated the demos and have performed really well for us. But yeah, it's a long partnership. We've got five years, we've taken equity within the APL. So we're behind it 100%.

Rod Prosser must be having a laugh if he 's been "really encouraged" by the A-league's ratings.

Rod Prosser must be having a laugh if he 's been "really encouraged" by the A-league's ratings.

Really, the whole interview was a bit of a puff piece. He spent a fair bit of time talking up the latest Bachelorette, which was a complete disaster ratings wise. I think it was pretty obvious he wasn't about to be admitting any mistakes.

Australia is a nation of sport lovers, and we've got the data to prove it.

Great example here of a stat that can easily be misunderstood:

'Google has released its year in search list for 2021, and sports took out seven of the top 10 spots in Australia overall.

However, the most googled sport wasn't local but the National Basketball Association (NBA) in the United States.

The NBA's enduring popularity down under is evident in the previous year's list, in which it came in third behind the US elections and coronavirus.

Overall searches in Australia:
  1. 1.NBA
  2. 2.AFL
  3. 3.Australia vs India
  4. 4.NRL
  5. 5.Euro 2021
  6. 6.Wimbledon
  7. 7.Olympic medal tally
  8. 8.COVID NSW
  9. 9.Coinspot
  10. 10.Prince Philip
Source: Google Year in Search 2021

Google dominates as the biggest search engine, purportedly accounting for up 95 per cent of all search activity on the internet.'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great example here of a stat that can easily be misunderstood.

The NBA was googled more than the AFL.

Were NBA teams googled more than the AFL teams ?
Were NBA players googled more than the AFL players ?

Google is a search engine so Google is showing searches NOT general interest.
People with general interest tend to go straight to their favourite sites.
i would rarely search "AFL" but every day i access a multitude of Australian Football material,
or should I say, it comes to me.

To say that the NBA was googled more than the AFL is quite meaningless without some form of context.

i would rarely search "AFL" but every day i access a multitude of Australian Football material,

To say that the NBA was googled more than the AFL is quite meaningless without some form of context.

It will challenge AFL cheerleaders who may jump to conclusions.

Havent really watched the past few seasons, lost interest, hated the perth scorchers home games starting late arvo in the boiling heat, defentley need to shortern the regulat season, to many games now. Looked terrible the other day on tv seeing optus stadium only a quarter full

Have been hearing that from the sixties.
Hey, AFL has an even bigger opportunity in the U.S.A.

Same old arrogance it seems. wHY MENTION THIS ?

Not what immediately comes to mind with soccer and it's history.

Still heavily a migrant game.
If you look around, all sports are diverse because Australia is a land of immigrants.

Of course, that must detract from realistic thinking.

You keep referencing the Wookie . Do you know that the words refered to are not his personal opinion, he is quoting a third party & that has context.

IF you are challenged by the stat, investigate it.
I'm not an NBA follower yet I'm not surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back