2021 NON AFL Thread - finance, ratings, participation etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Mediaweek gave us an insight into the TV numbers for the NBL and W-League:

The A-League might have rated complete trash as usual with 57k, but gee it was many multiples higher than the NBL at 12k - which, to be fair, was on during the afternoon and on a multi. And simulcast on Fox. The W-League was just as bad with 15k.
The A league on ch10 seems to have dropped about 50% of its audience since the start of the season. In fact at 57k, they are just about where the ABC was when it was broadcasting the A league.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Nope their main channel. They showed it between 5pm-7pm, where ch10 show it primetime on their main.

Funnily enough, i've been watching a bit of 10's multis during the week and I reckon I saw about half a dozen ads for the A-League. But every one was for the womens game. Seems strange you wouldn't promote your prime time product.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

One of the slowest races but plenty of competition :thumbsu:

The yacht:https://rolexsydneyhobart.com/the-yachts/2019/black-jack/
The former Alfa Romeo, now from Monaco.

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
I don't understand why anyone except maybe a staunch yachtie would be interested in it.

It's always perplexed me the media coverage that it gets year after year.
Because it is one of few "Events" that Sydney hosts and most of our media unfortunately are run out of Sydney with a strong Sydney bias inc the supposed "National" broadcaster the ABC who if they were truly a national public broadcaster would be HQed in Canberra.!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Because it is one of few "Events" that Sydney hosts and most of our media unfortunately are run out of Sydney with a strong Sydney bias inc the supposed "National" broadcaster the ABC who if they were truly a national public broadcaster would be HQed in Canberra.!

Are you dinkum? Canberra, have you ever been there?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Again, you seem to have inherited a logical bypass.
The very reason Canberra was created was to solve inter-city jealousies.
To be truly national, the national capital should have been in Alice Springs but that was too big of an ask.

Canberra is a logical bypass despite your admirable knowledge of our country.

'The term “Canberra Bubble” morphed to its current definition from 2001'

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Canberra is a logical bypass despite your admirable knowledge of our country.'

I'm not defending the city but you are completely ignoring the reason it was built.

The term “Canberra Bubble” morphed to its current definition from 2001'

That is a political term and how many names are there for Sydney?
Do you really want the news capital in sin city ?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I'm not defending the city but you are completely ignoring the reason it was built.

That is a political term and how many names are there for Sydney?
Do you really want the news capital in sin city ?

The Canberra bubble isnt simply politics.

The ABC is Sydney:https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-16/abc-to-relocate-300-staff-from-ultimo-to-parramatta/100218898
From Ultimo to Parra fixes that .....

Now: https://about.abc.net.au/press-releases/abc-to-add-more-than-50-journalists-in-regional-australia/

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don't understand why anyone except maybe a staunch yachtie would be interested in it.

It's always perplexed me the media coverage that it gets year after year.
The highlights of the event are shown on a lot of western media sports reports.
It has international appeal

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
'New South Wales yacht Ichi Ban has been crowned overall winner of the Sydney to Hobart yacht race after a protest saw rival Celestial given a time penalty.

Overnight, an international jury upheld two protests lodged against Celestial, adding 40 minutes to the yacht's time.

The Matt Allen-owned and skippered Ichi Ban won with a corrected time of 4 days, 10 hours and 17 minutes.

The jury found a personal locator beacon on Celestial was accidentally set off on Monday night in Bass Strait causing the Maritime Safety Authority to alert race organisers.
Before a search was launched, nearby yacht Ichi Ban was asked to attempt to contact Celestial and when no response was received it set off flares.
The jury found it was "possible that Ichi Ban's finishing position in the race was made significantly worse through no fault of her own by giving help".

It was found Celestial breached race rules by failing to maintain constant radio contact.'

Another race to add to the rich history of blue water racing on the international stage.:thumbsu:

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Canberra bubble isnt simply politics.

FFS.
I'll re-phase - Canberra is neutral, between the two biggest cities anyway.
You seem to have forgot the thread topic, that being the ABC is a NEWS service and as a NATIONAL broadcaster
it would be natural to have the National broadcaster in the national capitol,
now how lousy it's weather, geography or politics.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

There are any number of AFL fans for whom an away game is a step to far. They think they are fans of sport but spend most of their space on seeking to denigrate sport more generally.
IF the cap fits .... :huh:

It's not denigrating a sport to question why it gets significant media coverage when that doesn't seem to be based on general interest. It's not like anyone's questioning its right to exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back