2021 NON AFL Thread - finance, ratings, participation etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well if more than double the attendances and triple the memberships didn't tell you more than you needed to know, how about the fact that multinationals and Australia's biggest corporations throw double or even triple the money at the AFL and clubs than the NRL in terms of sponsorships.
They clearly aren't paying a whole lot of attention to the facebook likes!
But if you're a scammer, or a weight loss company or offer some other dodgy service - then you'll be chasing all those NRL likes on facebook!

"Tribalism? What? So you've maintained almost 1 million club members despite over half of them not being able to go to games at all last year? Forget about that fluff, what really determines tribalism is facebook likes"

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
He and I had a disagreement with the commercial value of this sort of thing last year regarding NRL clubs. He was talking about how social media had declined at some clubs and that hurt their commercial value, when i pointed out that the commercial value hadnt had an actual decline financially, he told me i had to look beyond the finances to determine commercial value.

Incidentally, looking back Georgina Robinson can also get stuffed. I was damn right about the value of the AFL future fund not increasing.

Gee that’s actually just embarrassing.....

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Look beyond finances to determine commercial value? That's like saying you need to look beyond the scoreboard to determine who wins a game.

Especially when you're putting so much weight on a medium that is extremely easy to rort.

Just to show this point. (SM Index is Haidars thing) This is 2020 annual reports released so far. The NRL clubs involved are all the parent companies (ie. Operate leagues clubs and nrl clubs)

jORNe6D.png

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
The A League clubs have had initial discussions with several broadcasters, for their new Rights' deal (old deal expires in June 2021).
A League clubs said, "having received almost no interest from Broadcasters" for a winter comp., want the A League to remain a summer comp. from 2021 (ie Oct.2021- May 2022).
One A League Club official said it would "be financial suicide" to switch to winter.

But FA have the final say on all fixturing, & they still want the A League to switch to a traditional winter comp.- to better connect with soccer GR; & because the standard of play, when the A League is played in winter (usually below 20 degrees), is much better cf much hotter temperatures of summer.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Just to show this point. (SM Index is Haidars thing) This is 2020 annual reports released so far. The NRL clubs involved are all the parent companies (ie. Operate leagues clubs and nrl clubs)

jORNe6D.png

What is the basis of the SM index?
Do you think the claimed sponsorship is gross or net?
Perhaps it is my ignorance but what is the relevance of the parent relationship to the NRL with no mention of some clubs AFL pokies involvement.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
What is the basis of the SM index?
Do you think the claimed sponsorship is gross or net?
Perhaps it is my ignorance but what is the relevance of the parent relationship to the NRL with no mention of some clubs AFL pokies involvement.

ok

1. The SM index is the Haidar one that he posted on twitter based on social media and his belief that this is where commercial value comes in
2. All of the clubs above are consolidated entities that have reported to date - and the above is only sponsorship revenue listed. Pokie revenue is utterly irrelevant.
3. the claimed sponsorship is listed as income in every one of their annual reports.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The A League clubs have had initial discussions with several broadcasters, for their new Rights' deal (old deal expires in June 2021).
A League clubs said, "having received almost no interest from Broadcasters" for a winter comp., want the A League to remain a summer comp. from 2021 (ie Oct.- May).
One A League Club official said it would "be financial suicide" to switch to winter.

But FA have the final say on all fixturing, & they still want the A League to switch to a traditional winter comp.- to better connect with soccer GR; & because the standard of play, when the A League is played in winter (usually below 20 degrees), is much better cf much hotter temperatures of summer.

This will end up in Court if FA force the issue.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
ok

1. The SM index is the Haidar one that he posted on twitter based on social media and his belief that this is where commercial value comes in
2. All of the clubs above are consolidated entities that have reported to date - and the above is only sponsorship revenue listed. Pokie revenue is utterly irrelevant.
3. the claimed sponsorship is listed as income in every one of their annual reports.

FYI here is a link to measuring sponsorship that I was referred to, relevant to my interest in motorsport. Has some interesting measures.
About SportsPro: the world's leading international media company for the sports industry in print, digital and events - SportsPro Media

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
That article being recycled?

No VLandys, the chairman of the ARLC, is shooting his mouth off at the AFL yet again.

But don't worry about him, there are a posters on an AFL forum who say negative things about the NRL sometimes that need to be endlessly told to take their blinkers off 🤣🤣🤣

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
AfL iS a BoRiNg SpOrT

NRL: Penrith 28 V Canterbury 0

AFL: Sydney 125 V Brisbane 94

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
AfL iS a BoRiNg SpOrT

NRL: Penrith 28 V Canterbury 0

AFL: Sydney 125 V Brisbane 94
Bird 7/17
NSW all out for 32.
Tasmania with a 492 run lead.

Not sure why we are comparing scores from different sports, but I enjoyed this one.

Why are you comparing a thrashing in the NRL to the best AFL team performance on the weekend(and the first time the Swans have scored such a high score since 2018).

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bird 7/17
NSW all out for 32.

Not sure why we are comparing scores from different sports, but I enjoyed this one.

Why are you comparing a thrashing in the NRL to the best AFL team performance on the weekend(and the first time the Swans have scored such a high score since 2018).

The best AFL team performance on the weekend? Really?

Anyway, why do you care soooooo much that there exists a sub-forum on an Australian football forum where people make positive comparisons of football to other codes?

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
Bird 7/17
NSW all out for 32.

It was a crack at V'landys comment. I used the Sydney/Brisbane game as they were NSW/QLD teams.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Has anyone else noticed a big rugby league bias on the foxsports website? Regularly more front page RL stories than any other sport and their lead story at the moment is about an over the hill Karmichael Hunt playing in a local Queensland cup game.

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
Has anyone else noticed a big rugby league bias on the foxsports website? Regularly more front page RL stories than any other sport and their lead story at the moment is about an over the hill Karmichael Hunt playing in a local Queensland cup game.
What go you expect Foxtel is HQed in Sydney!
Same as the ABC weekend breakfast show which also comes out of Sydney- it also favours RL on the weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back