2021 NON AFL Thread - finance, ratings, participation etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
perhaps. I must admit I haven't watched a min of w-league this year and they would know. Though, they might just be saying that.

But, and I am saying this as an outsider, after 2019, the w-league lost most of the big international players like Kerr, Carpenter and Foord IIRC. It isn't a big stretch to say that those losses would hurt the league's name recognition and more importantly, the standard of play.

It's true that in 2018 and 2019, the W-League grand final reached 6,000.
Prior to that:
Feb 2014: 2,504
Dec 2014: 2.671
2016: 4,206
2017: 4,591

Under present circumstances, I agree 4k is a decent crowd, and it will probably creep back up towards 6k again in coming years.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

Haha "spiritual home"....

The proposed takeover could see the Mariners uprooted from their spiritual home on the Central Coast and relocated to Sydney’s northern suburbs, with games likely to be at North Sydney or Brookvale.

...It's a 16 year old franchise! Some of these soccer shills overdo the "fake it to you make it" thing

Maybe Sydney is different but Melbourne city have fxck all support in Melbourne despite the delusional soccer types thinking City group's entry would have a massive impact.

The kind of people who would support a branch office of man united are already following the A League.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Obviously the sporting public in Sydney don't agree by not turning up in decent numbers to the GF and I suggest the WWC Soccer with struggle to get decent crowds apart from matches featuring the Australian and maybe NZ teams and they better hope Australia is in the final!

It will get decent crowds but only a handful will be sold out. Europe is starting to get on board with women's soccer at the international level at least. The 2019 world cup averaged almost 22K.

Post Covid a lot of people will be wanting to head to Australia for a holiday

Pedantic

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
I know it's come up a few times in these threads, but has anyone got to the bottom of what's going on with Western United and their proposed stadium in Wyndham?

I ask because I noticed that the Dees' new president is "Director of Deals, Investments and Major Projects at Wyndham City", which doesn't fill me with confidence.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth

Big week in Tassie sport. We have Western United down for a couple of games this weekend, plus the V8's and more NBL matches. Then an AFL ANZAC Day clash. All happening in the North of the state. Silverdome is in Launny and the NBL match was NZ v Perth.

Also

https://twitter.com/FootballAUS/status/1381761775624851457 said:
Commonwealth Bank is set to become the largest investor in Australian women’s football as the Matildas prepare for their most exciting international campaign ever, to 2023, and beyond.

Commonwealth Bank and the sport’s governing body, Football Australia, announced today that CBA will become the official naming rights partner and bank of the national women’s team, the Matildas, Junior Matildas and Young Matildas from August 2021. The initial four year partnership will inject millions of dollars into elite women’s football and grassroots initiatives around the country, and it’s just the start of what is set to be an exciting new partnershi

seems appropriate considering the discussion last page.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I know it's come up a few times in these threads, but has anyone got to the bottom of what's going on with Western United and their proposed stadium in Wyndham?

I ask because I noticed that the Dees' new president is "Director of Deals, Investments and Major Projects at Wyndham City", which doesn't fill me with confidence.

She is apparently heavily involved in that deal which should make dees fans worried about who competency

Not that it should necessarily means she'd be bad but a director at a local government is a particularly low position for an AFL club president

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
She is apparently heavily involved in that deal which should make dees fans worried about who competency

Not that it should necessarily means she'd be bad but a director at a local government is a particularly low position for an AFL club president
You would have thought the famous old Melbourne Football Club (formerly the Melbourne Cricket Club Football Club up until 1980) could get a better and more experienced person to lead their club!
I hope she is not their just because she is female!

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

Big week in Tassie sport. We have Western United down for a couple of games this weekend, plus the V8's and more NBL matches. Then an AFL ANZAC Day clash. All happening in the North of the state. Silverdome is in Launny and the NBL match was NZ v Perth.

Theres a fair few down here for the soccer - ive actually seen WU shirts around the place, the V8s moving a week over has just thrown everything into chaos accommodation wise this week too.

U18 Hockey Championships had a few people here the last week. NBL borderline invisible as far as Ive seen here, except in media.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, bout time this happened.

Before the internet (and particularly in the 80s when soccer playing cultures were still the lions share of non-English speaking peoples in the country) SBS's massive investment in soccer was justified.

As such this website is the most ridiculous thing. A taxpayer funded self indulgence covering the most commercially ubiquitous sport on the planet.

It's astounding it was maintained for so long.

Good riddance!

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
Yeah, bout time this happened.

Before the internet (and particularly in the 80s when soccer playing cultures were still the lions share of non-English speaking peoples in the country) SBS's massive investment in soccer was justified.

As such this website is the most ridiculous thing. A taxpayer funded self indulgence covering the most commercially ubiquitous sport on the planet.

It's astounding it was maintained for so long.

Good riddance!

I used to enjoy TWG back in the old days, but I agree with the gist of what you are saying - why should taxpayer funds be directed to covering the biggest sport on the planet? Leave it to the likes of Optus, Foxtel, or whoever else deems it worthy of paying for it.

Another perspective: when soccer fans complain about not getting enough media coverage, it's worthwhile reminding them that SBS gave soccer 24/7 coverage for 40 years, almost to the exclusion of all other sports! Talk about getting a free ride!

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
I used to enjoy TWG back in the old days, but I agree with the gist of what you are saying - why should taxpayer funds be directed to covering the biggest sport on the planet? Leave it to the likes of Optus, Foxtel, or whoever else deems it worthy of paying for it.

Another perspective: when soccer fans complain about not getting enough media coverage, it's worthwhile reminding them that SBS gave soccer 24/7 coverage for 40 years, almost to the exclusion of all other sports! Talk about getting a free ride!
TWG was a bloody good program

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
TWG was a good show and website. But all things must come to an end eventually.

I am sadder about Cycling Central going. It was golden for all those cycling races you don't know anything about. I just hope their central website can lift to the challenge brought by the demise of both of these flagships.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS

Seems like the Dees were more interested in gaining brownie points for a diversity hire than anything else.

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
Not too many Victory fans would have hung around to witness a further 3 goals in final 8 minutes or so after having already conceded 4 goals.
Their next match is at Marvel so it will be interesting to see how many fans turn up after this latest flogging!

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Soccer journalist S. Hill discusses reasons for the demise of The World Game soccer website, & why "football conversation has all but disappeared from television, from radio, & from the newspapers".

With no self awareness of other sports or protecting the taxpayer, it was the "mission" of SBS to promote soccer.

That "football conversation" Hill refers to has diminished on social media as well.

Go to the FTBL forums and activity there is not what it used to be. Very quiet.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

From England: Manchester United, Liverpool, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham.

From Spain: Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atlético Madrid.

And from Italy: Juventus, Inter Milan and AC Milan.

As yet, no team from France or Germany has signed on, meaning teams like Paris St Germain and Bayern Munich remain on UEFA's good side.

There are still three more spots left to be filled among the "founding clubs", with five more teams (for a total of 20) also joining each year depending on their results from the previous season.

Last edited:

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
You would have thought the famous old Melbourne Football Club (formerly the Melbourne Cricket Club Football Club up until 1980) could get a better and more experienced person to lead their club!
I hope she is not their just because she is female!
If a female is the best qualified for a job she get it, but not solely because she's a female

From England: Manchester United, Liverpool, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham.

From Spain: Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atlético Madrid.

And from Italy: Juventus, Inter Milan and AC Milan.

As yet, no team from France or Germany has signed on, meaning teams like Paris St Germain and Bayern Munich remain on UEFA's good side.

There are still three more spots left to be filled among the "founding clubs", with five more teams (for a total of 20) also joining each year depending on their results from the previous season.

If this goes ahead i would expect some games to played in Australia to broaden the interest in this comp, but i think it's a big If at the moment with what I'm reading online with the British newspapers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back