2021 NON AFL Thread - finance, ratings, participation etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
3. According to AusPlay data (which is a survey only, & is very unreliable- a person is counted as a "participant" even if they only play a sport once in the last 12 months), the % of persons playing netball, in the 20 years to 2020, has dropped from 4.5%- 2.9%. Total raw nos., however, are higher.

Skimpy nature of the dresses is given as a possible cause of the decline.

What a load of s**t. Netball isnt as dominant purely because it isn't the only team sport option for girls anymore. Plenty of girls now play basketball, football and soccer, and to be honest netball does a pretty s**t job of keeping them. My daughter plays netball atm, but as of next year she wants to play both footy and basketball - both of which are on a Friday night. When is netball next year? Also a Friday night. She's going to have to choose, and netball should be in a position where it can offer leagues across the weekend, as they don't have boys taking up court time like other sports do. If they did that they'd keep a lot more girls in the sport.

Skimpy outfits? Give me a break.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Netball only became a sport because people a century ago thought basketball was unladylike. Now that such attitudes are consigned to the dustbin of history, there's little reason why netball should retain its participation levels. I'm sure many women regard basketball as a much more interesting sport to play.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Netball only became a sport because people a century ago thought basketball was unladylike. Now that such attitudes are consigned to the dustbin of history, there's little reason why netball should retain its participation levels. I'm sure many women regard basketball as a much more interesting sport to play.
That may have been so 'back then' but netball remains mainstream.

Last edited:

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
4. M. Turner says the A League may have short term pain- the inconvenience & expense of a new streaming service to access A League games.
Long term, however, soccer will likely be a long term beneficiary of the increasing move to streaming, because people under 49 y.o. are much more likely to adopt sports' streaming.
Also, it will be easier & cheaper to stream additional foreign soccer Leagues- which will help to promote GR soccer & the A League.

In contrast, cricket & the NRL have the lowest % of streamers, & attract a much older (49+) fan base, cf soccer.

In 2015, Roy Morgan analysis stated that cricket TV viewership peaks at "over 65": & RL TV "peaks at 50-64, followed closer by over 65".
Soccer TV viewers peak at "25-34, & 35-49".

VOZ, a new reporting service for streaming from OzTam, will launch soon- & thus provide details on the previously non-disclosed streaming nos.

On this article, I reckon this analysis is missing something

While we may bemoan this fragmentation, make no mistake about it. The sports broadcasting monopoly that was the former world of sports is a very dangerous, and toxic environment.

We have all seen the outcomes. Unless you are the top tier sport, you are at the mercy of the only Pay-TV operator in the country.

Super Rugby and the A-League are very much the examples of where falling out of favour with the only operator can be disastrous, and without streaming, could have been the death knell of both competitions.

I would say that, for a long time and particularly since streaming became more viable, both soccer and rugby benefited from foxtel attempting to maintain its monopoly. This was particularly evidenced by the last deal the FFA signed with fox. Both sports were seen as having a big enough niche to represent a threat of letting a competitor enter the market more generally.

As soon as foxtel lost that capacity to maintain that monopoly, both of those sports lost their capacity to extract a premium. So, paradoxically this happened because of the expansion of viable options.

More generally his case that fragmentation would actually help soccer here was really weak. It seemed to boil down to the fact that some soccer currently unavailable in Australia is more likely to be available in the future (like presumably the likes of the Belgian league etc). The reality is that fragmentation makes it less likely that casual supporters of the A League (eg people who a primarily "eurosnobs" or AFL / NRL fans) will continue being so. I think the last few years suggests combined these make up a decent majority of people who engaged with the A League

The age stuff was interesting as well. I can't find the A League / soccer but the same data set clearly shows the AFL also skews younger compared to the NRL

I saw something a few years back that suggests the only sport that particularly skews young is basketball with soccer being very very marginally skewed younger than AF

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
In a big boost for the chances of Brisbane 2 being accepted as the 17th team, a licence fee will have to be paid.

Manly owner S. Penn said it could be as high as $40m- this would be great for the NRL, & its 16 clubs, who would each be paid an equal portion!
But The Australian's B. Read states the fee is very unlikely to be this high.

The licence fee that each club is wiling to offer will be secret ie not disclosed to the other 2 bidders.

The 3 bidders will also have to provide a Bank Guarantee also, that they have at least $10 funding currently.

(Paywall- can anyone open, & post here)

Last edited:

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
If the NRL and clubs can pull that off, it will be good (for their bank accounts), but it's no longer about growing the game anymore.
Would remind me of the broke vic clubs trying to sell licenses back in the mid/late 80s.

I suspect this is the only way expansion is happening in the NRL.

It goes to show how much the game is beholden to the parochial and myopic interests of the clubs though

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Some of the clubs are arguably financially stronger than the NRL
& ...

A statement - though a bit vague - that goes to the relative fragility of the NRL competition.

It's a vicious cycle. A central body that has no contingency or consistent strategy is undermined by Leagues clubs that primarily want to reduce their exposure to loss-making rugby league teams, thus ensuring the central body can never establish any contingency or consistent strategy

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Lucy Zelic has left SBS. That was basically the last soccer on-air correspondent left on that channel. They still have the 2022 World Cup rights.

This leads me to a segway to Optus getting the women world cup rights for 2023. Every match is available on the Optus platform. They are going to sub-license to an FTA broadcaster, who will host 1 match a day plus all the Matildas games and Key games(finals).

One other small thing. The French Open is getting ratings of around 100K on GEM

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
No comments on Origin ratings:

Game One of the 2021 State Of Origin series showed significant recovery in audience when compared with 2020’s first clash, with 1.911 million viewers across metro markets (and 2.708 million nationally) to easily be the #1 program on Wednesday.

That figure was up substantially on 2020’s game one, which was played in November for the first time, and brought in 1.598 million metro viewers, the lowest metro audience for any game in the series since 2001.

Last night’s match was also the highest-rating program in 2021 to date, but was down on the first match of 2019, which had 2.178 million metro viewers, and Nine will surely hope that game two and the potentially series-deciding game three will break the two million metro viewer mark.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

Game One of the 2021 State Of Origin series showed significant recovery in audience when compared with 2020’s first clash, with 1.911 million viewers across metro markets (and 2.708 million nationally) to easily be the #1 program on Wednesday.

That figure was up substantially on 2020’s game one, which was played in November for the first time, and brought in 1.598 million metro viewers, the lowest metro audience for any game in the series since 2001.

Last night’s match was also the highest-rating program in 2021 to date, but was down on the first match of 2019, which had 2.178 million metro viewers, and Nine will surely hope that game two and the potentially series-deciding game three will break the two million metro viewer mark.

2.35M for the first game in 2017 and 2018
2.598 for the first game in 2016

Does anyone have a ruler or a protractor on them?

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Firstly, they were in the comp for 3 seasons.
In their final two seasons, they averaged 3,400 (according to Ultimate A-League), although not even A-League fans believe that they were getting that many to home games.
On TV, both ends, and the outer wing, were completely empty. Like, I'm not talking about a spread out crowd, I'm talking not a single soul being visible on the screen, apart from the players and officials.
And.............

This is what you said.
Actually, both the NRL and A-League have been known to open up the gates to games on the Gold Coast.
In the case of the A-League, they still struggled to attract 2,000, even though Gold Coast United actually finished 3rd in their first two seasons.
So, they did not average 2000, especially when they "opened up the gates" like you said.

Everything else you say is an opinion or heresay.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
And.............

This is what you said.

So, they did not average 2000, especially when they "opened up the gates" like you said.

Everything else you say is an opinion or heresay.
It would be useful if he posted the link to back up his claim, and yes i have tried to find the link and sadly i can't find it. His claim is hearsay and not factual. I just wish when people make claims they back them up with independent links

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
It would be useful if he posted the link to back up his claim, and yes i have tried to find the link and sadly i can't find it. His claim is hearsay and not factual. I just wish when people make claims they back them up with independent links

Bob Morri confirmed that Gold Coast United had done it, didn't he?
Does that mean you are interested in confirming that the Titans did it?

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Very good article on Larry Kesleman & the 20\21 NBL challenges for the comp with the media rights in play this year, with both Foxtel & ESPN likely to challenge 9\Stansport.

Sorry cant link, John Stensholt in The Aus.

Finals for current season start in with a sellout crowd.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Larry Kestelman’s NBL tries to take commercial leap as crucial off-season looms for privately owned league

With a new TV deal to sign, new team franchise to bring in and a stadium and entertainment precinct to manage, NBL supremo Larry Kestelman has a hectic off-season lined up.

John Stensholt John Stensholt
Follow

@JohnStensholt

4 min read
June 18, 2021 - 5:41PM
The Australian Business Network

0 comments

NBL owner and executive chairman Larry Kestelman. Picture: Zak Simmonds

Larry Kestelman isn’t understating it when he calls the last 12 months “an incredibly challenging year, but fruitful as well”.
Kestelman is an entrepreneur who very much mixes business with pleasure, as owner of the National Basketball League – a rarity in the world, let alone Australia – and property developer.

Those two traits will soon combine with his new Hobart-based team, the Tasmania JackJumpers enter the league in 2021-22 and play in a stadium operated by Kestelman as part of a $200m mixed-use project he will build.

Kestelman says he first wants to concentrate on the NBL’s best of five match grand final series, starting on Friday night when the Perth Wildcats host Melbourne United at a packed Perth Arena in game one.

But he and the league are about to enter a crucial off-season after a tumultuous 2021 competition that was at first delayed by Covid but ultimately one that welcomed crowds to 95 per cent of its games as the NBL jugged schedules and travel to stay one step ahead of lockdowns and other pandemic restrictions.
“If you rewind the clock a year and you would tell me you’d get through it this way we would have grabbed it with both hands. We were the little engine that could, saying ‘I think I can, I think I can’. We said we would be finished by the end of June and our last game will be June 30,” Kestelman says.

Artists impression of MyStateBank Arena, which the Tasmania Jackjumpers basketball team will make their home base. Picture Supplied
“We are a small business that has had to navigate its way through a complete unknown in the middle of an absolute shitstorm with a team that works seven days per week. I feel that we have done a huge amount right. Commercially though we have to take this league to a whole new level, and that is what I am trying to do.”

Kestelman needs to negotiate a new broadcast deal for the next season which begins in October, with Nine Entertainment and its Stan streaming service said to be competing with Foxtel and ESPN in a deal that could be worth $10m annually. He could also join the sporting dash for private equity cash.
There could also be a string of ownership deals for some of the nine existing teams in the competition, including the Perth club by Kestelman’s fellow member of The List – Australia’s Richest 250 in Jack Bendat.

Perth is competing in its 35th consecutive finals series, making it one of the most successful clubs in Australian sporting history. But while it has won four of the last five grand finals, this year could be the last under the 95-year-old Bendat’s ownership.

“They have a culture of unrelenting success, are super professional – the most professional club in the league – the best run club, the most resourced and the way they continue the legacy of that success is extraordinary. They are absolutely the benchmark,” says Kestelman.
“It is no secret Jack is looking for the right owner. He is looking to sell. They have been offered a lot of money but for him it is not about the money. He would sell it for less for the right owner, someone to continue this legacy and professionalism.”

JackJumpers' coach Scott Roth with the club's mascot on the Spirit of Tasmania after announcing a sponsorship deal with TT-Line in Devonport. Picture: Supplied.

The NBL now has a slew of high-profile team owners, from Vicinity Centres chief executive Grant Kelley in Adelaide to former NBA champion Andrew Bogut joining the Sydney team, as well as other American star player owners at Brisbane and New Zealand.

Kestelman says the starting value for teams is at least $10m now, and more for a club like Sydney or Melbourne United. “There is still plenty of room for the licence value to grow, as the league becomes more sustainable. People aren’t putting a value in terms of a multiple on profit though, it is a matter of making sure they don’t lose too much and there is the exposure they get too.”

While Kestelman – who is estimated to have spent up to $30m of his own funds on basketball – won’t reveal details, the NBL clubs likely to lose up to a combined $15-20m annually. The team owners also don’t have a stake in the league itself – which is fully owned by Kestelman.

While he is reluctant to relinquish control, Kestelman says he would be amenable to bringing in a minority investor given many sports are negotiating for deals with private equity companies at present, including soccer and rugby union in Australia and several other competitions overseas.
“I would like a minority partner preferably. Not just for the money but someone who can contribute to the growth of the sport not just domestically but also globally.”

The league is growing next season with the new Tasmanian team, which will play at the Derwent Entertainment Centre as part of a deal that has the state government funding a $56m upgrade. But Kestelman has management rights for 50 years and is also undertaking the revamp as a property developer that forms part of a $200m mixed used project around the stadium. It is also another unique sports deal in Australia.

“So we are now in the management business of events, putting on concerts and all sorts of things. They are crazy times. We are doing a two-year project in about 8 months.

“But it puts together everything we do, running a sports venue and our development skills.”

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
With COVID restrictions in metro Melbourne, the City v Macarthur semi final was moved to Kogarah fairly late in the piece.
3,000 in attendance.

Pretty woeful still given it was for a place in the grand final for the newest Sydney franchise.

You would have to think that a 25% restriction for the final could be a bit of a face saver. Very suspect that Melbourne City would get 15k if it was 50%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back