2021 NON AFL Thread - finance, ratings, participation etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but I think people have a natural tendency to go for the big clubs now even if they aren't as local. Across sport the big clubs are getting bigger. A previously curious local that would have gone to local game of the new club in their area, might see for example a GWS match on TV, playing in a mostly empty Stadium and not bother going to watch live. They might watch a Swans game on TV at the SCG and think gee that looks like a good event and atmosphere to attend, lots of people are there, might try that instead.

A bit convoluted.
I'll stick with "Technically, the tools and the historical template for new teams makes the job easier
but competition and the lack of time slots does make things exceptionally hard."

I just checked the TV ratings for last night and the Soccer on CH 10 doesn't make the top 20 programmes!
The Super Cars on Seven Mate came in at #20 with 150,000.
The Womens soccer on Fox got an ave of 40,000 and Super Cars peaked at 157,000.

I watched the A-League game on Channel 10 last night myself. Something I found surprising was the attendance was stated at 23,000. The whole top-tier was empty and the bottom tier wasn't completely full, in a Stadium that only holds 30,000. I don't know how they came up with a crowd of 23000, under 15k in my opinion.

102k is actually a good rating for the A-League, but it's positively awful for a FTA network in prime time. Let alone the pre-game and post game, which at 63k is test pattern territory. And therein lies the problem for 10 - they're basically waving the white flag by showing it. Channel 10 had a tiny 5.1% share for the night, not that far in front of their multis and just shading SBS.

Assuming the numbers don't change (and TBH it's more likely to get worse than get better) I can't see 10 sticking with it on their main channel. It's commercial suicide, they may as well screen old movies or some filler from the US they can get for free.

102k is actually a good rating for the A-League, but it's positively awful for a FTA network in prime time. Let alone the pre-game and post game, which at 63k is test pattern territory. And therein lies the problem for 10 - they're basically waving the white flag by showing it. Channel 10 had a tiny 5.1% share for the night, not that far in front of their multis and just shading SBS.

Assuming the numbers don't change (and TBH it's more likely to get worse than get better) I can't see 10 sticking with it on their main channel. It's commercial suicide, they may as well screen old movies or some filler from the US they can get for free.
you are right. the ratings are in the ballpark of previous seasons. I am sure Wookie might have actual data but a snapshot of 2 random matches from previous years. Not saying it was a success and I do share your view regarding the future.

http://www.footyindustry.com/?page_id=4481 said:
The Melbourne derby rated 69,000 on Fox on Saturday night. Of the 8 early season derbies played between rounds 1-3 each season – this is the lowest Fox audience to date. Free to air television figures are not available at this time, however the match did fail to register on the Oztam multichannel top 20 (which cut off at 107,000). Last years broadcast game on One was Melbourne Victory v Sydney FC, which rated 84,000 in metro markets and a further 35,000 in the regions (and 107,000 on Fox) (thanks Wookie)

I just checked the TV ratings for last night and the Soccer on CH 10 doesn't make the top 20 programmes!
The Super Cars on Seven Mate came in at #20 with 150,000.
The Womens soccer on Fox got an ave of 40,000 and Super Cars peaked at 157,000.
motorsport is one of the most silent popular sports around. Indeed, F1 is a goldmine in how they are increasing market ratings in an era of falling TV ratings. A model blueprint of how to implement streaming TV, Internet and Pay TV to fully engage viewers into a new product.

Initially I thought that 102k was all right for soccer, certainly looks more than in previous years, but looking at the share for the night, Ten had 12.2%, which is pretty low.
The main channel had only 5.1%, a tiny bit ahead of SBS main channel.
And those pre and post game shows, the 20th show on the multis rated more!
A repeat of The Big Bang Theory on 10 Peach rated more!
Also, the soccer didn't get into any of the demos, even the Nine and Seven News got into the top 5 of the 16-39 demo, which tells you a lot.
I mean seriously, if your sport is meant to be attracting the youth of Australia, and they are watching the nightly news in bigger numbers on a rival channel, well....

motorsport is one of the most silent popular sports around. Indeed, F1 is a goldmine in how they are increasing market ratings in an era of falling TV ratings.

Motorsport to me is about entertainment and not much about sport.
It's like saying that live theatre is a sport because it's physical and they compete against other productions to be the best.
Like who goes out and plays F1?
When Australia produced V8 cars Bathurst turned many of us into boy-racers.
Production cars or what ever the call it and rallying just doesn't seem to have the profile that it used to have.
Will electric cars produce the same emotion ?

It's like saying that live theatre is a sport because it's physical and they compete against other productions to be the best.
Production cars or what ever the call it and rallying just doesn't seem to have the profile that it used to have.
F1 can't go electric, not at least till 2030 or something like that, way into the future. Hybrid cars are the best they can legally do. Formula E holds the rights to electric cars. And, well, they are a small fraction of the total audience of F1, which kinda answers that question.

You are right. It is a lot easier to kick a football than to race an automobile. Sure, karting might get a lift but let's be honest, It isn't going to be winning any junior participation awards. Way too expensive for the normal joe.

F1 is a sport and it fights for the same entertainment dollars as every other sport and TV show. What they have done better than any other sport is to appeal to the younger demographic who wouldn't normally watch sports via its storytelling(Netflix) and online presence. Every other sport is playing catch up, as seen by the AFL and soccer attempts to copy the formula(No pun intended) of "Drive to Survive" (and the NBA's "The Last Dance") .

Personally, I got back into Formula 1, via its video game, then its Netflix offering and youtube content and now I watch every race. It is the sport I have enjoyed the most during the covid era I would say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The NRL ambition is interesting. My concern is the proliferation of stadiums around Sydney that will be hosting games, in particular in the west and south/west. It has the Olympic Stadium, Paramatta Stadium, BankWest Stadium and now another proposed stadium. I think it has Campbelltown (Tigers home games) too.

I get the ownership bit and owning an asset there would be valuable. And the growth corridor out in the SW of Sydney is an opportunity as well as managing a threat with the AFL focussing investment there and the strength of soccer. However ground rationalisation and economies of scale offer advantages too.

Makes you wonder if it has a master plan for stadia and the games prospects in future given the Sydney based clubs.

Feels to me it’s concerned about competitive threats and is progressing fast with thought bubbles minus a master plan? Seems all stakeholders needs to get together to build a strategic plan with a vision and then all the tentacles below that.

Certainly a good conversation though.

The AFL went through the pain of ground rationalisation 30 years ago.
In the NRL, any time the subject comes up, usually in less direct terms, the majority appear to come out in support of maintaining all the suburban venues.
Might be a good conversation, a necessary one even, but for the NRL, it's a difficult one to have.

Makes you wonder if it has a master plan for stadia and the games prospects in future given the Sydney based clubs.

When I lived in Sydney it was evident that w.r.t. stadia it was every man for himself, with very code and every team wanting the magic stadium for themselves. Then came along the Olympic Stadium. I don't know if they had a plan but the stadium build was widely greeted with design ravings. Maybe this flattery clouded the reality that Olympic Stadium is a very poor stadium for domestic competitions.
Anyway the "planning" has flip plopped between big stadium sharing and stadia catering for the immediate region.
That planning was overlaid with the idea of boxing Australian Football out of any plans.
Now it seems like they have "necessity planning" - building stadia out of pure necessity.
The idea that NSW has to go one better than the MCG seems to be disappearing.

In the NRL, any time the subject comes up, usually in less direct terms, the majority appear to come out in support of maintaining all the suburban venues.
Might be a good conversation, a necessary one even, but for the NRL, it's a difficult one to have.

One of the "excuses" given for poor NRL attendances compared with the AFL is geography of Sydney.
Whilst this "excuse" is highly overblown it still has some relevance but developing stadia for all the NRL teams is simply economic folly.
Most people can get to the Olympic Stadium without too much trouble and
even if the NSW government was to build nice new stadia for NRL teams the fact is that any benefit is still lost on the visiting team.

The difference was that in Victoria the government wouldnt hand out money willy nilly in the 80s for ground improvements, then restricted the size of any ground that competed with the state owned MCG, and the VFL/AFL had full control over venue fixturing from 1985 on.

The NSW Gov for some reason didnt push the same mandated use for stadiums despite building both the SFS and Stadium Australia, as well as funding SCG upgrades in the same time that the Victorian Government built the Southern Stand, and Seven built Docklands.

I have sypathy for the NSW clubs and the suburban grounds, and good on them for going on with it if they can. I prefer the Victorian model where they get the greatest bang for their taxpayer buck at a smaller number of venues (although thats somewhat mitigated by the spending on club facilities - which is also happening in NSW)

The NSW Gov for some reason didnt push the same mandated use for stadiums despite building both the SFS and Stadium Australia, as well as funding SCG upgrades in the same time that the Victorian Government built the Southern Stand, and Seven built Docklands.

But it was mandated that no stadium (read SCG) could expand capacity over a set number, 48,000.
That is why the capacity of the SCG is 48,000 now.

Based on the inclusion of revenue received in prior years from the sale of A-League licences......without that they would have made a huge loss. It does show why the league will not have automatic promotion for some time - the sale of licences props up the league. No wonder they want to increase the number of teams now, despite the last 2 admissions being abject failures.

Still, take the A-League out and it's pretty much break even, which isn't a bad result in a covid year.

Porsche run 'a gentlemen racer' series across the world , & have announced the latest (new) model may be last in its current format, i.e to be replaced by an electric version. It debuted its e-race car in 2019 & drivers have included one time Supercar driver Simona De Silvestro.

Like most sports only the top line events draw the big crowds but its coming.

I’m actually looking forward to watching the A-League every Saturday night on 10. I’ve tried for years to get into soccer and frankly it’s always left me cold. Having the pick of the Australian domestic comp on FTA in such a prime spot is as good a chance as I’m ever going to get to follow the ups and downs of a season. If it doesn’t click with me now I suspect I’m a lost cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back