2021 NON AFL Thread - finance, ratings, participation etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m actually looking forward to watching the A-League every Saturday night on 10. I’ve tried for years to get into soccer and frankly it’s always left me cold. Having the pick of the Australian domestic comp on FTA in such a prime spot is as good a chance as I’m ever going to get to follow the ups and downs of a season. If it doesn’t click with me now I suspect I’m a lost cause.

The equivalent of going to an Aussie Rules game in the bush & drawing a conclusion on that game.

Based on the inclusion of revenue received in prior years from the sale of A-League licences......without that they would have made a huge loss. It does show why the league will not have automatic promotion for some time - the sale of licences props up the league. No wonder they want to increase the number of teams now, despite the last 2 admissions being abject failures.

Still, take the A-League out and it's pretty much break even, which isn't a bad result in a covid year.
they will be sweating on the socceroos making the world cup. big money there

On that, the cross confederation playoffs look likely to be staged at a neutral venue. This is going to cost New Zealand Football a lot of money, as that is the biggest game every 4 years for them. And it is looking likely the Socceroos will be going through the same system (again)

it is normal for an organisation to sweat on prize money worth $30 mil.

Interesting dynamic that soccer and rugby union sweat on their national teams doing well.
The AFL, NRL, NFL, CFL, GAA and a number of other sports don't worry about such things.
The AFL, NRL, NFL, CFL, GAA and a number of other sports would see international representation as a bonus and not a necessity.

Interesting dynamic that soccer and rugby union sweat on their national teams doing well.
The AFL, NRL, NFL, CFL, GAA and a number of other sports don't worry about such things.
The AFL, NRL, NFL, CFL, GAA and a number of other sports would see international representation as a bonus and not a necessity.
that is because they have no international game.

My comment was more about the finances of the FFA and how big making the world cup was in terms of prize money(and other things). And link it to the recent news regarding playoffs for those spots and how that is going to cost New Zealand a lot of money.

It is not to discuss the pro and negatives of international sport, which has been done to death on this forum the last month. not interested.

My comment was more about the finances of the FFA

And my comment was

Which probably encompasses your comment.

that is because they have no international game.

The AFL would see the International Rules series and exhibition games as a bonus.
The NRL would see it's international games as a bonus.
The GAA would see it's international games as a bonus.
The NFL would see it's international exhibition games as a bonus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you reckon it's worth net of expenses? I'd imagine a lot of that would go to players as well as expenses of running a world cup campaign.
It was enough to gamble everything on it. Paying top dollar for Terry Venables in 1997 and Guus Hiddink showcases that.

Of course, there are other benefits to making a world cup. But I remember the discussion, especially in the 2000's about how big that money could be to Soccer Australia

Edit: of course, as soon as i type that, I get linked to an article about prize money.

Football Australia's strong financial position has the organisation confident it could absorb the worst case scenario of the Socceroos missing out on next year's World Cup in Qatar.

After the most recent Asian qualifiers, Australia have slipped to third in their group with four matches to play, a position which would force them into a cut-throat play-off route to reach the 32-nation tournament.

Failure to make the World Cup would cost Football Australia (FA) millions of dollars in prize money, as well as potential sponsorship arrangements.

Australia received $12 million from FIFA simply by making the 2018 World Cup in Russia, with regular qualification for the global showpiece since the move to the Asian confederation an important revenue boost.

ps. I got 30 mil from the TOTAL money of the women's world cup. the total money for the men's is $400 mil. my bad

Last edited:
When I'm talking to overseas clubs I show state league footage rather than AFL footage as it gives a clearer indication of the game.

When taking overseas visitors (sports lovers), being perched in the grandstand makes it far easier (my experience) than ground level to explain the game.

How many times have we heard this before? Its pretty hard to flog a dead horse!
Soccer in Australia is not only competing for eyeballs against the Cricket and Tennis but also all the main world premier leagues who local soccer fanatics would watch in preference to the local second rate offering any day!

Its not as if Soccer Australia is walking away from it: see this report on an advertising industry site.

Football Australia reports drop in broadcast & sponsor revenue in FY2021
November 24, 2021 10:17

'Football Australia (FA) has reported a drop in broadcast revenue of $19.3 on 2020 figures, down to $37.7 million, in its 2021 annual report, “mostly attributable to the lower domestic broadcast rights income”.

Broadcast revenue represented the rights to the broadcast the A-League Men, A-League Women and FFA Cup competitions, as well as Socceroos and Commonwealth Bank Matildas friendly matches.'

There is more in the article if it really interests you, i.e there are any number of AFL tragics looking to put any other code/sport down to comfort their insecurity particularly when international sport is discussed.

Do you live in this world..............

This was in response to :

"Broadcast revenue down 33%
Sponsorship revenue halved.
Football Australia response: " “Football Australia enjoyed a strong year commercially.... ".

Another person living in this world might have worded it “Football Australia suffered a strong financial downturn - for understandable reasons......"

I think the opera going concept floated to the AFL board by then Commissioner Graeme Samuel to have only two major Melbourne CBD stadiums has proved to be the correct one![/QUOTE]

I think the opera going concept floated to the AFL board by then Commissioner Graeme Samuel to have only two major Melbourne CBD stadiums has proved to be the correct one!
[/QUOTE]

It was the implementation that consigned us to the 2 tier system we have today. The MCC took control of Melbourne fixturing, leaving the lesser drawing clubs with whatever was left. The AFL were effectively asleep at the wheel.

It was the implementation that consigned us to the 2 tier system we have today. The MCC took control of Melbourne fixturing, leaving the lesser drawing clubs with whatever was left. The AFL were effectively asleep at the wheel.
[/QUOTE]

it was the Docklands deal that screwed everyone over just as much as the MCG deal - with the AFL controlling fixturing and Docklands needing a certain number of games, the AFL wasnt about to let more games go to the MCG and so the MCC just refused to deal with clubs. Docklands clubs couldnt negotiate better terms than the AFLs overarching deals.

Melbourne has always been an MCG tenant. Richmond went there in the 60's before the deal was a thing. Collingwood is intrinsic to the AFLs deal which enabled interstate clubs to actually get home finals. Hawthorn didnt become a tenant until Waverly was a thing of the past. Essendon and Carlton were both were signed to Docklands - Essendon willingly in 2000 signed off from the MCG to Docklands.

it was the Docklands deal that screwed everyone over just as much as the MCG deal - with the AFL controlling fixturing and Docklands needing a certain number of games, the AFL wasnt about to let more games go to the MCG and so the MCC just refused to deal with clubs. Docklands clubs couldnt negotiate better terms than the AFLs overarching deals.

Melbourne has always been an MCG tenant. Richmond went there in the 60's before the deal was a thing. Collingwood is intrinsic to the AFLs deal which enabled interstate clubs to actually get home finals. Hawthorn didnt become a tenant until Waverly was a thing of the past. Essendon and Carlton were both were signed to Docklands - Essendon willingly in 2000 signed off from the MCG to Docklands.
[/QUOTE]

I believe the status quo is the preferred model for the AFL, enabling the FIXturing nicely (sic).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back