2021 NON AFL Thread - finance, ratings, participation etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Has it been done before in Aus ? Sure soccer clubs, but on this scale?

Lots of lofty projects have failed.

AFL - Swans private ownership. AFL club in the U.S.A., AFL IN China.
NRL - Superleague say no more. Private ownership and media ownership.
RU - Super Rugby
NFL - plethora of American Football leagues
CFL - Canadian Football tried to expand into the U.S.A.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Lots of lofty projects have failed.

AFL - Swans private ownership. AFL club in the U.S.A., AFL IN China.
NRL - Superleague say no more. Private ownership and media ownership.
RU - Super Rugby
NFL - plethora of American Football leagues
CFL - Canadian Football tried to expand into the U.S.A.

None of these are quite the same as having a private enterprise taking a 33% share in the league itself in return for a direct investment of 140m. The same enterprise bought 10% of City Football Group (owners of Manchester/Melbourne City) not long ago, and has plans to take a 7.5 per cent stake in NZ Rugby’s commercial operations

A-Leagues Club Unitholders hold (64.7%) of the APL. SilverLake, the global leader in technology investing, takes a 33.3% equity share, whilst Viacom CBS, the A-Leagues broadcast partner holds the remaining 2% of APL equity

Football Australia, the regulator of the domestic game, holds a non-financial minority equity interest in APL to ensure there is a ‘Good of the Game’ governance structure.

This hasnt happened in Australia with any league.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
None of these are quite the same .

I know this just like I knew someone would come back with this retort
that's why I framed my answer as " Lots of lofty projects have failed. "
There have been lots more ambitious projects than this that have failed.
You think doing something slightly different is going to protect one from failure?

Of course the AFL showed how conservative it is by not buying out CH10.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

Its not a retort, its a statement of fact. The examples cited are not relevant to soccer or the APL or the investment strategy under discussion.

Over the past 18 months, Private Equity firms have taken on passive stakes in professional sports franchises and in leagues after the NBA, MLB and Major League Soccer loosened ownership rules to include institutional investors.

Similar things include

You think doing something slightly different is going to protect one from failure?

Its not even slightly different, its a hell of a lot different.

These massive equity firms arent Tinkler or Palmer or Edelston. They arent even Murdoch and Packer. These are global corporate giants, well beyond the norm for Australian sport.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Of course the AFL showed how conservative it is by not buying out CH10.

I was commenting on the PE investment, thats what is different. PE traditionally is looking for big returns.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
That's what you get for posting cryptic statements.
There were some huge PE investments in the examples I stated.

About the only PE style investment in Aus sport I recall was Supercars where SEL tossed some money about in the early 90s, turned a disjointed section of motorsport into a professional operation & sold out to Archer Capital (65%):
https://www.speedcafe.com/2011/05/17/v8-supercars-confirms-new-ownership-structure/

I wouldnt call the Swans private ownership fiasco or the Eagles/Indian Pacific float a PE style deal either but if you want, so be it.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
That's what you get for posting cryptic statements.
There were some huge PE investments in the examples I stated.

Here is the Supercars example:
'Fifteen years ago Tony Cochrane and another three investors handed over a $52,000 cheque for what was at best a "break-even business". On May 18 2011, they sold a 60 per cent share in V8 Supercars Australia for a staggering $195 million.'

A classic PE play.

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
It was to be expected the soccer last night on 10 (60,000) would get slaughtered by the Cricket (1,560,000)!
I wonder how many times a major FTA TV channel has rated only 60,000 in prime time for live sport on a Sat night?

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Why change the goalposts ? I clearly stated world-wide examples.

Hes made far more relevant examples to this than anything you provided not least including the australian sporting context - as well as answering his own question, which you didnt bother with.

And I provided far more similar worldwide examples of the investment type that is being demonstrated by Silverlake with the APL - establishing that this sort of thing is far more prevalent now than it has ever been.

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
It was to be expected the soccer last night on 10 (60,000) would get slaughtered by the Cricket (1,560,000)!
I wonder how many times a major FTA TV channel has rated only 60,000 in prime time for live sport on a Sat night?

Surprising, I actually watched the a league last night it was a great game.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

I dunno, but Channel 10's 4.1% share for the night has to be one of its all time lowest. It finished not just behind SBS, but behind 7mate as well.

It remains utterly perplexing to me that a commercial channel that wants to make a profit would continue with this. It's deadset suicide.

On Silverlake, i'd love to know what rights they have to any of the income. Presumably things like TV rights and other sources of APL income gets distributed to clubs net of expenses. Does Silverlake now get a third of all of those distributions? That's a hell of a chunk of the clubs income for eternity.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hes made far more relevant examples to this than anything you provided not least including the australian sporting context.

I actually stated that i was coming from the broad picture.

as well as answering his own question.

So answering your own question is considered good ?

which you didnt bother with.

I don't bother with lots of stuff that are so cryptic or broad tor so loss in previous threads that it's undecypherable.

And I provided far more similar worldwide examples of the investment

Yet completely ignored commercial giants that have invested much more money in projects and lost.
They also were supremely confident and had don't due diligent research.

At the end of the day - the proof is in the making and that is not evident.
And yes, it's very early days and we will have to wait a long time
Until then everything is conjecture.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
The NFL announces a global strategy for expanding its appeal and influence, granting 18 of its clubs rights to pursue marketing to assigned countries, including commitments to hold matches in those countries. The LA Rams have been assigned Australia, along with China.

Will be interesting to watch how the LA Rams go about it. I do not follow the NFL however plenty seem to do so and it is covered by a FTA channel in Oz.
The CH9 night news in Perth announcers are always talking about it in the Sports section.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Understanding PE & sport:

Clarry helped his private equity company acquire Formula One racing in 2006 for $2 billion, a move that produced a 500% return in the ensuing decade. He’s followed that up this year with a €2.1 billion ($2.4 billion) investment in La Liga, Spain’s top soccer league; a £365 million ($490 million) stake in rugby’s Six Nations, the annual tournament between the top national teams in Europe; and a £219 million deal with the International Volleyball Federation, the sport’s governing body. Clarry is also negotiating a €1.7 billion stake in Italy’s Serie A soccer league and a $600 million cash injection into the governing bodies of tennis.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
It was a very good game, but they are absolutely disastrous ratings.
SBS could run a rubbish soapie from Syria and get more ratings than that.

up against a day/night test with Australia winning? i dont think any summer sport could take that on, even the winter sports might fall before that.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
up against a day/night test with Australia winning? i dont think any summer sport could take that on, even the winter sports might fall before that.

I can understand that perspective, and there will be some truth in that.
But it is possible to throw up counter arguments.
1. repeats of NCIS are getting higher ratings on Bold, that by itself almost makes it untenable that you keep the A-League on the main channel.
2. SBS defeating Ten for two or three weeks in a row.
3. Even the Ten news is failing to make the top 20. Now this suggests a broader issue with Ten, for sure, but equally we can say with confidence that the A-League does not have a halo effect, if anything, sort of does the opposite for the network.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
The NFL announces a global strategy for expanding its appeal and influence, granting 18 of its clubs rights to pursue marketing to assigned countries, including commitments to hold matches in those countries. The LA Rams have been assigned Australia, along with China.

excluding Tassie, judging by the poorly designed map.

Probably the last home game for the Season for the Wildcats. A good way to finish it off. It was over capacity by 4 people :) (The arena should only hold 13,611

The NBL was dead 10 years ago. Larry will make a killing if he sold the league now. He brought it for only $7 mil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back