2021 NON AFL Thread - finance, ratings, participation etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand that perspective, and there will be some truth in that.
But it is possible to throw up counter arguments.
1. repeats of NCIS are getting higher ratings on Bold, that by itself almost makes it untenable that you keep the A-League on the main channel.
2. SBS defeating Ten for two or three weeks in a row.
3. Even the Ten news is failing to make the top 20. Now this suggests a broader issue with Ten, for sure, but equally we can say with confidence that the A-League does not have a halo effect, if anything, sort of does the opposite for the network.

Sport isnt that popular as a regular tv show - which is why top rating shows week to week are generally not sport. I think theres a finite number of sporting viewers out there. If most of the sporting audience is watching the cricket, then the people outside Melbourne who may have watched the soccer are going to be few and far between indeed.

Cricket has always been the national sport. Everyone has big events - Origin, Grand Finals, international friendlies that draw the theatre audiences.

Sport has been this way for decades. AFL/NRL split the winter audience - but come summer its cricket season. Soccer is kind of screwed no matter which way it turns.

excluding Tassie, judging by the poorly designed map.

Probably the last home game for the Season for the Wildcats. A good way to finish it off. It was over capacity by 4 people :) (The arena should only hold 13,611

The NBL was dead 10 years ago. Larry will make a killing if he sold the league now. He brought it for only $7 mil.

Perth in particular is getting great attendances at RAC.

I dunno, but Channel 10's 4.1% share for the night has to be one of its all time lowest. It finished not just behind SBS, but behind 7mate as well.

It remains utterly perplexing to me that a commercial channel that wants to make a profit would continue with this. It's deadset suicide.

On Silverlake, i'd love to know what rights they have to any of the income. Presumably things like TV rights and other sources of APL income gets distributed to clubs net of expenses. Does Silverlake now get a third of all of those distributions? That's a hell of a chunk of the clubs income for eternity.
Yeah a decent old movie would rate better than the soccer and cost CH 10 a lot less to put on and I don't think any business actually likes losing money and prestige!

RE the Silver Lake investment, it has been likened to their investment in the All Blacks in at least one report I read.
With the All Blacks deal, Silver Lake does get a cut of all operating revenue (that's revenue NOT net profit).
There's like an amnesty for the first year, then it becomes 3.5% then 7.5% etc. not sure if it actually reaches a 12.5 share, but whatever it lands on, that's a cut of all operating revenue in perpetuity.
I don't know what the exact revenue sharing arrangement is with Silver Lake, but going on the All Blacks example, I would take a guess that they have negotiated it in such a way that they get a complete payback inside six years of the initial investment.
In other words, Silver Lake cannot lose on this deal.

Sport isnt that popular as a regular tv show - which is why top rating shows week to week are generally not sport.

People tend to overlook this fact but then many popular shows are inflated by the routine nature of life.
We come home, watch the news and then want to relax. Sport isn't available every night of the week in prime time.
People go away on holidays for long periods - they don't care about their sitcoms but do care about their favourite sports.
Ratings are also inflated by second choice options - there's nothing interesting so I'll watch this - that's a meaningless rating.

I think theres a finite number of sporting viewers out there.

IMO there's a finite number of mult-sports viewers - viewers hooked on sports.
Individual sports followers do follow their sport if available.
I'd watch Gaelic Football if availabale but I don't attempt to watch many other sports,
but i might if nothing else attracts.

Everyone has big events - Origin, Grand Finals, international friendlies that draw the theatre audiences.

And the code-wars people read much too much into these events.

Cricket has always been the national sport.

Cricket arguably was the national sport. But the profile was flawed. The ABL drew thousands to interstate games were as the Sheffield Shield often drew hundreds. It was a sport relying on international competition and not domestic competition. It was a sport played in summer with no competition.

Sport has been this way for decades.

There has been a quantum change.
Test cricket is dead, the 50 over game is dead but the cricket does have substantial domestic competition which IMO has saved the game.
People have become more demanding. They don't want to watch sport in the heat of summer and thus the rise of night games.
Summer sport has the distraction of people want to recreate near water.
Now we have other sports attempting to occupy the summer slot.

IMO there is a really big misrepresentation with television rations.
Attendances quantify the number of people who are prepared to make an effort to pay for and attend a sport - a relatively big ask.
Ratings have many technical flaws but represent a reasonable relative measure between products - sometimes.
Ratings can be skewed by any number of factors - like time of day, day of week and competition.
Most sports are like a movie - done and dusted in about an hours duration, so relativity is maintained somewhat.
Cricket, of the long duration variety is not a short sharp exercise.
Yes, people are interested in the result, but for the most, cricket is a good excuse to sit down, drink, eat, do nothing and not be interrupted for hours.
Many people have consumed their binge-worthy material long ago.
If cricket could be played in winter would it be so popular - IMO it wouldn't.
IMO, cricket isn't as powerfully attractive as many winter sports but it has a relaxed attraction that is sufficiently strong
to out-rate other summer attractions.
I guess people would rather actually be sailing, surfing, swimming, fishing, camping etc than watching it.

Last edited:
RE the Silver Lake investment, it has been likened to their investment in the All Blacks in at least one report I read.
With the All Blacks deal, Silver Lake does get a cut of all operating revenue (that's revenue NOT net profit).
There's like an amnesty for the first year, then it becomes 3.5% then 7.5% etc. not sure if it actually reaches a 12.5 share, but whatever it lands on, that's a cut of all operating revenue in perpetuity.
I don't know what the exact revenue sharing arrangement is with Silver Lake, but going on the All Blacks example, I would take a guess that they have negotiated it in such a way that they get a complete payback inside six years of the initial investment.

Is the All Blacks a done deal ?

Here is a different style of ownership funding:
'An Australian sports business group has raised more than $30m from investors to fund a new global Supercross racing series, becoming the first local entity to run a racing circuit around the world.
SX Global, headed by former Supercars part-owner Tony Cochrane, will be announced on Monday as manager and promoter of the FIM Supercross World Championship over the next decade.

The new professional Supercross racing circuit will kick off in mid to late 2022.'

Note the involvement of Gold Coast Suns president Tony Cochrane, better known for his building of Supercars.

On face value it sounds like a slightly different arrangement. I understood Silverlake's investment in the All Blacks wasn't a traditional equity arrangement as such, they were investing in rights to future income. The APL investment appears to be simply an issue of shares in APL to Silverlake - there may be other rights attached but I haven't seen anything to suggest it.
But if Silverlake simply own shares, then they're only going to get a return if APL pays dividends (or on sell it for a profit). I'm making the assumption that APL distribute income - mostly being TV rights you'd imagine - to the shareholders via these dividends and therefore Silverlake gets a third of all of these forever. But if that's the arrangement it brings a lot more questions about how it's going to work from an expansion perspective - if they admit more teams, will those teams take shares in APL as well? Presumably yes, but will that dilute all shareholders, or only just existing clubs?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe? Theyre broke and no one is watching FTA other than sport really

Wow, the days when FTA were standalone ASX listings went long ago. News is still the big drawing event night after night.

Last edited:

...... more detail in the link:
  • Funds will help build new digital media platform to boost fan engagement
  • Silver Lake managing director Stephen Evans to sit on APL board
The money will not go directly to club owners, players, coaches or administrators, though multiple reports state some of the funds will be made available to teams for marquee player signings.

.... the bulk of the investment will be used to fund a long-term programme of digital first engagement with supporters. At the heart of this will be a new digital media platform, designed to attract new fans from across the globe.

The digital platform, however, is not intended to disrupt the A-Leagues’ five-year domestic broadcast partnership with ViacomCBS, signed in May, which saw the market launch of Paramount+. Rather, the new digital offering is intended to work in harmony with ViacomCBS.

Will people travel every 2nd year or simply wait until it comes to 'a stadium near you' ?
That is why in my opinion it won't happen, plus we have to factor in Covid and that isn't going away anytime soon and some predictions are saying that covid or it's variants could be around another 10 years, but still the financial figures are staggering for a tournament that is play over 3 to 4 weeks

Mediaweek gave us an insight into the TV numbers for the NBL and W-League:

The A-League might have rated complete trash as usual with 57k, but gee it was many multiples higher than the NBL at 12k - which, to be fair, was on during the afternoon and on a multi. And simulcast on Fox. The W-League was just as bad with 15k.

Mediaweek gave us an insight into the TV numbers for the NBL and W-League:

The A-League might have rated complete trash as usual with 57k, but gee it was many multiples higher than the NBL at 12k - which, to be fair, was on during the afternoon and on a multi. And simulcast on Fox. The W-League was just as bad with 15k.

Sydney-Hobart Yacht Race
7mate: 233,000

I thought that could have been higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back