Opinion 2021 Non-Crows AFL 3: Things Fall Apart!

Who sneaks in to 7th & 8th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think Clarkson will have success with another club. He’s been in post too long so I doubt his energy for anything but a ready made contender

plus the expectations won’t be reasonable, people will expect him to be a magician
That's why I don't see him coaching next year. Don't think any of the options like Collingwood or Carlton would be immediately attractive for him and certainly don't see him interested in the Suns.

I don’t think Clarkson will have success with another club. He’s been in post too long so I doubt his energy for anything but a ready made contender

plus the expectations won’t be reasonable, people will expect him to be a magician

There are examples of a long term successful coach (with minimum 10 year tenure and multiple premierships) and being successful at other clubs

Hafey - he won flags at Richmond (3) then Collingwood (5 Grand finals but no flag), no success at Geelong or Sydney
Barassi - he won flags at Carlton (3) then North Melbourne (instant success with ready made side with 2 flags), no success at Melbourne
Malthouse - he won two flags at West Coast and Collingwood (it took him 11 years to win flag there but got close in 2002) but no success at Carlton

Clarkson however would be the longest tenure coach with 17 years as coach at Hawthorn.

Me too. Look at the other massive coaches that tried to keep the streak going ... the message changes.

He should be looking at what Roos does - gun for hire to come in set standards and leave the heavy lifting to others :)

I also think Clarko knows this too and doesn't want to do the "malthouse splutter"

Good to see ports season of luck keeps on rolling on..you know, where each week they roll up and the opposition have key players out, get injuries to key players in game etc..well carlton have put mckay in for surgery this week AND liam jones is out with injury..just in time to front port

There are examples of a long term successful coach (with minimum 10 year tenure and multiple premierships) and being successful at other clubs

Hafey - he won flags at Richmond (3) then Collingwood (5 Grand finals but no flag), no success at Geelong or Sydney
Barassi - he won flags at Carlton (3) then North Melbourne (instant success with ready made side with 2 flags), no success at Melbourne
Malthouse - he won two flags at West Coast and Collingwood (it took him 11 years to win flag there but got close in 2002) but no success at Carlton

Clarkson however would be the longest tenure coach with 17 years as coach at Hawthorn.

not real recent then

Good to see ports season of luck keeps on rolling on..you know, where each week they roll up and the opposition have key players out, get injuries to key players in game etc..well carlton have put mckay in for surgery this week AND liam jones is out with injury..just in time to front port

Like clockwork.

Like clockwork.
It genuinely is amazing how often it happens.

BUT, the positive is that Port's season results get drastically inflated (especially when combined with the biggest gift of a draw ever). They think they are a top team, only to find out in finals (again and again), that ooops they actually aren't.
It's really quite enjoyable.

BUT, the positive is that Port's season results get drastically inflated (especially when combined with the biggest gift of a draw ever). They think they are a top team, only to find out in finals (again and again), that ooops they actually aren't.
That is true. Although, still can't decide whether I like them having false hope or no hope at all....

The AFL is Lucy, the Power is the Football, their fans are Charlie Brown.

They would flat track Carlton anyway.

If they lose to Bulldogs and beat Carlton Port will finish the season with 16 wins.

14 of them against bottom 10 teams. Only beating GWS and Sydney in the 8.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So after all the hysteria about Dangerfield almost dying from the Toby Greene hit, Paddy has been cleared to play this week. The way Geelong carried on was like when Mr Burns hit Bart with his car.

This is what makes the fall harder, and more enjoyable.

This is what makes the fall harder, and more enjoyable.
I keep hearing this and whilst I hope it is true - they are going to get a top 4 spot and maybe a top 2 spot if other results fall their way. If they finish top 2 and their sheer luck of opposition sides having off days, getting in game injuries and going into the port game down key players continues, who is to say they can't bloody win it this year. After all they are not going to get too many better opportunities than last year or this year where games are all over the place and the GF might again be interstate.

No - I'd rather see them lose this week and the following week and hope that Sydney and Brisbane keep winning to try and dislodge them from top 4 as it would make me vomit to have to watch that s**t lucky football club win another flag

I keep hearing this and whilst I hope it is true - they are going to get a top 4 spot and maybe a top 2 spot if other results fall their way. If they finish top 2 and their sheer luck of opposition sides having off days, getting in game injuries and going into the port game down key players continues, who is to say they can't bloody win it this year. After all they are not going to get too many better opportunities than last year or this year where games are all over the place and the GF might again be interstate.

No - I'd rather see them lose this week and the following week and hope that Sydney and Brisbane keep winning to try and dislodge them from top 4 as it would make me vomit to have to watch that s**t lucky football club win another flag
It's been hard enough for any one team to consistently win matches.

You're worried that port will stumble over 3 good teams, when they've beaten just one, at home, all year.

It isn't impossible but they're the clear weakest link in the top 4. It would be an inexplicable form reversal.

It's been hard enough for any one team to consistently win matches.

You're worried that port will stumble over 3 good teams, when they've beaten just one, at home, all year.

It isn't impossible but they're the clear weakest link in the top 4. It would be an inexplicable form reversal.
I know but I am a believer in a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush and port getting top 4 makes it mathematically more likely they can win a flag than if they finish outside the top 4. I'd rather not risk that option if it is at all possible in these last 2 rounds

Agree, unless he has a reason beyond money.
I'm thinking about Malcolm Blight and his reasons for coming to us as coach. Is there another club where Clarko can passionately engage?

So…Port’s AFLW team…how exactly with a 4m loss last year, and accumulated 13m debt, are they planning on paying for that, together with their high performance centre and the re-do generally to Sumberton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back