Opinion 2021 Non-Crows AFL 3: Things Fall Apart!

Who sneaks in to 7th & 8th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually we have won 3 times there.

The last time was 2003 then there was 2002 when Gary Ayres gave the old geeza in front of him the finger. The other time was our premiership year 1998.

Games generally there have never been close.

There was a game that we should have won there during the Neil Craig era

From memory it was a James Sellar clanger in the last quarter that was the turning post that allowed the Cats to mount a comeback and cost us the game

Rowie is really pushing this 'not Ken's fault ' line

So if a 7 goal to 1 first term in a home prelim is not his fault.

What does he actually have responsibility for? He picked the team, he set up the game plan , he told the players what to do....but he can't so it. So not his fault?

So if they didn't do what they were told, isn't that even more on him? Isn't that actually worse than a sh*t game plan? (Lost the players?)

Sure don't sack him for it and sure its still also on the players, but how is in not in Ken's realm of responsibility?

It's not ENTIRELY Kern's fault. People are saying that it's his job to motivate the players and they came out flat. My argument is, if you can't be self motivated playing a preliminary final in front of your home crowd, when will you ever be self motivated?

To me Ken just appeared to be in 'rabbit in headlights mode' and sat on his hands for the whole game hoping it would just rectify itself.

There's no way that a coach like Blight, for example, in that situation would not have made a radical move at half time. Sure Blight may have done something stupid like play Ormond-Allen in the ruck, but he would have at least tried something. I didn't notice Kern do anything accept continue smashing the coke's and putting his face in his hands.

Long may it continue :p

You would have thought for at least the first 10-15 minutes any pregame motivational speech would have at least kept the game competitive. When it effect in hindsight the games was lost and over by that stage.

Port players probably more focused on their pre game song than Kenny's last words.

Do professional footballers need to be motivated by the coach for the chance to play in a GF?

I would have thought the hard work they had put in over the 10+yrs of their career, the opportunity to play in a GF and reach their dream of winning a flag would be enough motivation.

Just my opinion though and I'm definitely not unhappy that they didn't achieve it, nor that Kern is still at the healm.

It's not ENTIRELY Kern's fault. People are saying that it's his job to motivate the players and they came out flat. My argument is, if you can't be self motivated playing a preliminary final in front of your home crowd, when will you ever be self motivated?

To me Ken just appeared to be in 'rabbit in headlights mode' and sat on his hands for the whole game hoping it would just rectify itself.

There's no way that a coach like Blight, for example, in that situation would not have made a radical move at half time. Sure Blight may have done something stupid like play Ormond-Allen in the ruck, but he would have at least tried something. I didn't notice Kern do anything accept continue smashing the coke's and putting his face in his hands.

Long may it continue :p
Thing about motivating players for big games is its all relative. Port were motivated. Bulldogs were motivated more. Beveridge got them up for it. Hinkley thought it would happen. Whoever said Ken is Port's Neil Craig was spot on. Craig used to back in the system. No plan B because you trained plan A and you were confident it worked. Davies and Koch even suggested the same in their media spots. They are on the right path. Just do it betterer.

Thing about motivating players for big games is its all relative. Port were motivated. Bulldogs were motivated more. Beveridge got them up for it. Hinkley thought it would happen. Whoever said Ken is Port's Neil Craig was spot on. Craig used to back in the system. No plan B because you trained plan A and you were confident it worked. Davies and Koch even suggested the same in their media spots. They are on the right path. Just do it betterer.

Fair point.

They are also backing the same system for next year too. What could possibly go wrong?

With Beveridge having some success do we start to see his influence spread, especially if the dogs win the GF?

A couple of areas he seems to differ from the norm:
Does not rate ruckmen (although they seem to play better with one)
Does not rate continuity as much as others, happy to drop players and change the side
Aggressively defends players and the club in public even if he'll draw criticism for it and even when he doesn't really have a solid defence to make

I just watched Davies press conference, was asked about the loss of Schofield and potentially Voss and who might replace them... pretty sure he implied they have so much talent already at the club, the hard part will be finding roles for them all.

Sounds like something we'd have done a few years ago...

If that turns out to be the case, I wonder if it's the impact of accepting the AFL's covid loan or they really are drinking their own bathwater down there.

Meanwhile over on the Port board they are debating the merit of sending their team on some sort of SAS style camp...

I say go for it, what could possibly go wrong.

Last edited:
I just watched Davies press conference, was asked about the loss of Schofield and potentially Voss and who might replace them... pretty sure he implied they have so much talent already at the club, the hard part will be finding roles for them all.

If that turns out to be the case, I wonder if it's the impact of accepting the AFL's covid loan or they really are drinking their own bathwater down there.

Meanwhile over on the Port board they are debating the merit of sending their team on some sort of SAS style camp...

Does sound like us a few years ago:

CEO - whatta you know, the best candidate was three doors down
Fitness Guy - Oh snap, we have the best guy here already, ready to go!
Lose Assistant coaches - phwoar, you wouldn't believe it... our boot studder is a coaching genius!

Hiring from within is cheaper.

With $12m debt and heavy AFL assistance to get through COVID no doubt the AFL has a say too.

They promoted the guy sitting next to KT as CEO instead of being able to go to the market.

No doubt the Voss/Schofield replacements will be the same.

Jordan Hinkley to get a pay rise?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Does sound like us a few years ago:

CEO - whatta you know, the best candidate was three doors down
Fitness Guy - Oh snap, we have the best guy here already, ready to go!
Lose Assistant coaches - phwoar, you wouldn't believe it... our boot studder is a coaching genius!
Nate the Great?

Carefule there. You never know what a bit of power will do to a guy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I didn’t know which team he was connected to, I’d have easily guessed Port Power….he just looks like a Port campaigner.

interesting - just saw a footy classified segment where they talked about Cotchin stepping down as captain, and then they went on to put up other captains who may be in a spot soon where it's best if they also step down - totally expected Sloane to be mentioned, but no

Coniglio / Pendlebury / Selwood / Geary / Zieball / Fyfe mentioned , but not Sloane

interesting - just saw a footy classified segment where they talked about Cotchin stepping down as captain, and then they went on to put up other captains who may be in a spot soon where it's best if they also step down - totally expected Sloane to be mentioned, but no

Coniglio / Pendlebury / Selwood / Geary / Zieball / Fyfe mentioned , but not Sloane
No one cares

How long do you think Sloane will play for?

I know he is a year older than Ziebell, but we have yet to re-sign Ziebell. He and Tarrant want 2 year deals and the club is only prepared to give a one year deal atm which means both are not far off retirement, forced or otherwise.

They probably don’t even know who our captain is.
I even wonder sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back