NFL 2021 Off-season and Free Agency Discussion

It's a pointless offer until Watson nominates them, Houston have no say in the matter with his no trade clause.

Watson probably won't want to join a team if they are giving up too much anyway. The Bears have * all as is.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
ESPN's Dianna Russini reports the Seahawks are answering trade calls on Russell Wilson.
Russini reports the Seahawks are not actively "shopping" Wilson, but that they are picking up when other teams call. That puts them a step ahead of the Texans, who are reportedly sending interested Deshaun Watson parties straight to voicemail. Russini confirms Wilson is "not happy" in Seattle. Instead of dying down, this story keeps gaining new dimensions. It is still a "believe it when you see it," but it is notable this was not immediately extinguished.
SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter
Mar 4, 2021, 1:18 PM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Steelers have signed QB Ben Roethlisberger to a new contract for 2021.
Roethlisberger agreed to be paid $14 million this year with other voidable years beyond 2021 to smooth out the rest of his owed money. It effectively opens up $15 million in cap space for 2021 to help the Steelers round out the rest of their roster. For his part, Roethlisberger publicly acknowledged that this needed to be done after his disappointing 2020. Now purely a dink-and-dunk passer after missing nearly all of 2019 with an elbow injury, Roethlisberger is unlikely to have a 2021 return to glory. Even if JuJu Smith-Schuster walks in free agency, however, the weapons are here for Roethlisberger to remain fantasy relevant, and perhaps stabilize his game on the real life gridiron. The Steelers have to get more serious about their No. 2 quarterback spot after another year of tempting the Mason Rudolph gods in 2020.
Mar 4, 2021, 1:06 PM ET

I can imagine that salary cap personnel in certain teams are extremely busy at the moment. There's also the likelihood that a lot of free agents will only want one year deals so they can cash in next year, when (presumably) the cap go back up. The problem with one year deals is that the cap hit can't be spread over multiple years, lessening the hit in the first year. The same goes for franchise tag designations which I can only assume will be fewer in number this year.

EDIT: I do know that you can sign a player on a multi-year deal that voids after one season.... (see Ben Rothlisberger)

Last edited:

The people posting this stuff need to get a grip! The Eagles are currently $38 million over the cap, there is no way they could fit Russell Wilson's contract ($19 million base) into their cap. The Seahawks would also incur a dead cap of $39 million if they traded Wilson. I don't care how upset Wilson is with the Seahawks, he's on the team and will stay there this season.

I'd hope we are we aren't (Wilson is on the slide big time imo) , but it wouldn't surprise me if Carolina is asking about Russ as a back up plan for Watson with Fitterer departing Seattle after 15 + seasons to become the Panthers GM this offseason.

I can imagine that salary cap personnel in certain teams are extremely busy at the moment. There's also the likelihood that a lot of free agents will only want one year deals so they can cash in next year, when (presumably) the cap go back up. The problem with one year deals is that the cap hit can't be spread over multiple years, lessening the hit in the first year. The same goes for franchise tag designations which I can only assume will be fewer in number this year.

EDIT: I do know that you can sign a player on a multi-year deal that voids after one season.... (see Ben Rothlisberger)
Exhibit B:

Back