holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GC Suns, Western Warriors/Scorchers
Who made the poor decision to move three of the more popular threads on the Fremantle board to the desolation pit that is the purple horde :rolleyes:

WaywardSonSon

Cancelled
Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A.
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
Soon to be criticism. McGowan has dropped hints that at the first case of community transmission he'll lock us all down like what Palaszczuk did in Qld. Gladys has shown there is another way to control clusters without harsh lockdowns.
Gladys also proved to be quite adept in mismanaging funds that were earmarked for the bolstering of the state's fire reduction and prevention programs, ultimately leading to the completely avoidable deaths of millions of animals. So her "ideas" aren't always so intelligible.

holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Gladys also proved to be quite adept in mismanaging funds that were earmarked for the bolstering of the state's fire reduction and prevention programs, ultimately leading to the completely avoidable deaths of millions of animals. So her "ideas" aren't always so intelligible.
I'm not fully across NSW politics so can't comment. It wouldn't change my opinion that NSW are handling the Covid balance better than anyone.

WaywardSonSon

Cancelled
Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A.
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
I'm not fully across NSW politics so can't comment. It wouldn't change my opinion that NSW are handling the Covid balance better than anyone.
I'm fairly certain Western Australia is handling the Covid balance better than any other state, as we are yet to enter into a complete lock-down, meaning community transmission never became prevalent, active case numbers were, and continue to be, measly, and our economy is being stoked.

holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I'm fairly certain Western Australia is handling the Covid balance better than any other state, as we are yet to enter into a complete lock-down, meaning community transmission never became prevalent, active case numbers were, and continue to be, measly, and our economy is being stoked.
We're not handling the "balance" as well as we could.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
I don't want to see the mods overmoderate this place and outright ban any political discourse like they do in that cesspit r/AFL

Why would you want political discussion on r/AFL? The last post they had with politics was the one about Leigh Matthew's backing McCormack, in which literally every upvoted top-level comment was "shut up old white man." It's not exactly a bastion of deep political thinking, and the political centre of that community is somewhere on the fringe left.

It'd be even more of a cesspool if they talked politics more.

May 11, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why would you want political discussion on r/AFL? The last post they had with politics was the one about Leigh Matthew's backing McCormack, in which literally every upvoted top-level comment was "shut up old white man." It's not exactly a bastion of deep political thinking, and the political centre of that community is somewhere on the fringe left.

That place is prone to a greater global audience than BigFooty is, you get your nutcase Americans who wander on there letting us know how terrible Australia is in comparison.

I highly doubt that's a problem BigFooty has to face, everything isn't so binary or black and white when it comes to Reddit. Plus they're a shitload nicer to each other than BigFooty posters are. On top of that the subreddit clearly hates West Coast, so that's a win in my book.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I highly doubt that's a problem BigFooty has to face, everything isn't so binary or black and white when it comes to Reddit. Plus they're a shitload nicer to each other than BigFooty posters are. On top of that the subreddit clearly hates West Coast, so that's a win in my book.

I'm not saying I hate Reddit. It has some really good things about it.

But quality of political discourse is dreadful on most subreddits.

holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

I don't often seek to discuss politics on Reddit. I'm usually downvoted to oblivion which is never fun. But every so often AFL and politics to intertwine a bit (particularly during this Covid period) and I copped a short ban for being critical of Comrade Dan in a topic about their lockdown.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
I highly doubt that's a problem BigFooty has to face, everything isn't so binary or black and white when it comes to Reddit. Plus they're a shitload nicer to each other than BigFooty posters are.

You're not wrong. I only started browsing reddit during our mini-lockdown last year and it's easily the nicest and most supportive online forum I've ever seen. If that's what a fringe left world looks like then it doesn't seem that bad at all.

Mind you, maybe my interests just happen to align with the sub-reddits where the nice people are. And maybe on Stormfront they're just as nice to each other... I dunno, I haven't looked.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
At least all the politics was contained to one thread so those without the gumption could easily ignore it. Now I will be talking politics in this off season thread for everyone to see
There are plenty of places on the internet where you can blow your hit air.
Why spoil it for the rest of us?
You sound like a bit of a nob whatever your political persuasion is.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I just want to say that the closing of the Politics thread is a monumental disaster. From time to time I would stick my head in there, read a couple of lines & run like hell.

Now it’s infiltrating other nice wholesome threads that had no interest in politics & now I’m scared to open them. Please reopen the politics thread so I can once again feel safe.

bushchook

All Australian
Dec 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Unfortunately that's what happens when you populate a whole site with mods all of the same political persuasion. You can only talk about politics on bigfooty if you're a standard progressive Greens/Labor voter. Anyone else gets banned or the thread get shut down as ours was. Been happening for years.

Demons09

Premiership Player
Jan 12, 2009
rockingham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Unfortunately that's what happens when you populate a whole site with mods all of the same political persuasion. You can only talk about politics on bigfooty if you're a standard progressive Greens/Labor voter. Anyone else gets banned or the thread get shut down as ours was. Been happening for years.
Thats why you take their opinions with a grain of salt the average Australian folk don’t agree with the BF group think.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Like others I think closing the politics thread was a mistake. Maybe I missed some posts that were deleted (not the 'good' one) but I really didn't think it was that bad/toxic. Everyone seemed to be relatively civil albeit with heated opinions at times (just like we do talking about footy). Unless people are being highly abusive or threatening then I don't see what the issue was/is?

Someone said "why are people (Australians) are so interested in US politics?" and I think it is because people feel we as a country look to the US as a democratic role model (I'm not saying we should be these days but it's hard not to think it regardless). When their democracy is vulnerable it is understandable people are concerned that could flow to Australian politics as well. IMO I don't see a great deal of difference of self serving leadership except our system has different checks and balances and the Prime Minister is within our version of Congress and not a separate branch of government like the President.

Politics is highly topical in society atm. Therefore it is understandable people just want a place to talk about it, and feel comfortable doing so with people they somewhat know (even if only virtually). It's the same reason why people prefer talking about cricket here rather than going to a cricket forum. We may not always agree but I think the vast majority still respects others are entitled to have their own point of view. I think it is also important to note although people may largely differ on their opinion on some things, it doesn't mean they disagree on everything. But if we only talked about the stuff we agree about then we'd have a pretty boring existence as humans.

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
For f*** sake, can a mod please reopen the politics thread!!

Or Maybe call it “beat the hell out of the other guy” thread. Wild West style. Let them just have at it so we don’t have to have that s*** in here. Some people just like to argue and stir stuff up.

Let’s give them a forum to do this in. Please!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Interesting scoreline here (GWS should read 2.1 rather than 2.13 by the way.)

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

Pretty appalling call here by Cricket Australia. Really dumb to claim you're not trying to be divisive when you're taking a stand most Australians are going to disagree with (given most Australians still support Jan 26th as Australia Day) and really not their place.

(Also apologies if this is the wrong thread.)

Last edited:

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle

Pretty appalling call here by Cricket Australia. Really dumb to claim you're not trying to be divisive when you're taking a stand most Australians are going to disagree with (given most Australians still support Jan 26th as Australia Day) and really not their place.
Take it to the politics thread. Oh, wait...

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle

(Also apologies if this is the wrong thread.)
lol - Institute of Public Affairs. Australia's version of Trumpism.

In other news, I polled a bunch of cricket players and it looks most Australians agree cricket is the best sport in the world. Sorry fellow footy fans.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
lol - Institute of Public Affairs. Australia's version of Trumpism.

In other news, I polled a bunch of cricket players and it looks most Australians agree cricket is the best sport in the world. Sorry fellow footy fans.

Guessing you're referring to the IPA's polling on the issue? Even if you think they've ****ed with the numbers they're not the only source.

ANU's social research centre in 2019 had 70% agreement that Jan 26th is the ideal date when participants were informed the date marked the arrival of the first fleet.

Back