Mega Thread 2021 Off-Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Who made the poor decision to move three of the more popular threads on the Fremantle board to the desolation pit that is the purple horde :rolleyes:

Pretty appalling call here by Cricket Australia. Really dumb to claim you're not trying to be divisive when you're taking a stand most Australians are going to disagree with (given most Australians still support Jan 26th as Australia Day) and really not their place.

(Also apologies if this is the wrong thread.)
So Cricket Australia is being divisive by trying to sort out an issue which has been divisive for 20 years? Hmmmm.

Guessing you're referring to the IPA's polling on the issue? Even if you think they've f’ed with the numbers they're not the only source.

ANU's social research centre in 2019 had 70% agreement that Jan 26th is the ideal date when participants were informed the date marked the arrival of the first fleet.

Who cares if this is the appropriate thread .....

January 26 is the date for the landing at Port Jackson, the start of the colony of NSW.

To celebrate “Australia Day”, it must signify 1st January 1901, When Australia became a nation.

Best way to solve to solve the issue, last Monday in January is designated Gidday Day. It celebrates the creation of the nation in 1901. That is inclusive for everyone.

I was thinking I would be fine with MCG always being the grand final host but they need to implement some changes to improve equality. I was thinking something like:
1. No team has the MCG for their home ground
2. All teams get the same amount of games at the MCG (not sure how it would be divided maybe 3 games each...I haven't calculated it.)

What do you think? Would this be a good idea? Although extremely unlikely the AFL would do something like this it would be the best way of making grand finals at the G fair amongst all teams in my opinion.

Interesting point. Like the AFL VSing the community on a range of issues including equality and rights for LBQTi yet not one bloke of the thousands in any of their teams has ever felt confident enough to come out as homosexual while employed by them.
what on earth is VSing? o_O
Singh as a surname seems to fit in here. :cool:

Guessing you're referring to the IPA's polling on the issue? Even if you think they've f’ed with the numbers they're not the only source.

ANU's social research centre in 2019 had 70% agreement that Jan 26th is the ideal date when participants were informed the date marked the arrival of the first fleet.
Like I inferred it was a fair reach to claim "given most Australians still support Jan 26th as Australia Day" because it was clearly based on the ridiculous (biased) IPA poll I called you out on and now you've quickly Googled to find something else to try and support your narrative. But unfortunately you found a similarly flawed study. They told them it was the date the first fleet arrived and then asked if it made sense... that is definitely not what you claimed. Meanwhile a separate study in 2018 showed the majority of Australians didn't even know Australia Day had anything to do with the First Fleet and secondly that most couldn't care less what date we celebrated it, so long as we celebrated it (Public Holiday!!!).

To me vehemently defending the retention of Jan 26th as Australia Day seems just as ludicrous as claiming there was mass voter fraud in the US. When the conservatives stop being outraged about everything they get told to be by the RW media can you let me know because I actually share quite a few conservative philosophies and would like to converse with some people who can process issues independently of the propaganda being spewed by both sides of politics.

Like I inferred it was a fair reach to claim "given most Australians still support Jan 26th as Australia Day" because it was clearly based on the ridiculous (biased) IPA poll I called you out on and now you've quickly Googled to find something else to try and support your narrative.

I mean I think you clearly just want me to use the IPA study so you can dismiss it out of hand. I never brought it up.

Meanwhile a separate study in 2018 showed the majority of Australians didn't even know Australia Day had anything to do with the First Fleet and secondly that most couldn't care less what date we celebrated it, so long as we celebrated it (Public Holiday!!!).

To return the treatment you're not just quoting The Australia Institute are you? So much I can say. ;)

But if it's the case that Jan 26th is heavily supported by people who understand that date and the apathy towards Australia Day is based on the fact Australians don't remember Jan 26th is the First Fleet than surely that's an issue of civic education rather than Australia Day itself.

To me vehemently defending the retention of Jan 26th as Australia Day seems just as ludicrous as claiming there was mass voter fraud in the US.

Not really.

The former is opinion. The latter is fact.

To return the treatment you're not just quoting The Australia Institute are you? So much I can say. ;)
Um yes, that was my point. * me, do I really need to guide people through this s**t? It is all meaningless biased drivel - hence me suggesting people needing to think independently.

I am pretty certain the vast majority of people won't stop watching cricket because they make a statement on some issue. Just like I am pretty sure us idiots will keep being obsessed with footy irrespective of how incompetent Gil and co are.

As a supporter of an AFL club with an amazing indigenous history I'm a little disappointed fellow fans don't seem willing to even contemplate what this all means. But like always we'll look back on this in a decade's time and go "wtf were we thinking?".

How about we start up the "non political miscellaneous sports thread"
Is that specific enough..
Or all you politically minded circle jerks who have massive hard ons after the American elections can go to Dockerland.com

Or join a political party.

Shouting down to each other on an anonymous sports platform is really not going to change the world & as much as you want it to its not going to enlighten anybody..

Shouting down to each other on an anonymous sports platform is really not going to change the world & as much as you want it to its not going to enlighten anybody..
Could not agree more MM - the patronising tone that some people take when discussing politics IN A FOOTY THREAD is more a reflection on them than on those they are lecturing.

Or all you politically minded circle jerks who have massive hard ons after the American elections can go to Dockerland.com

I was thinking I would be fine with MCG always being the grand final host but they need to implement some changes to improve equality. I was thinking something like:
1. No team has the MCG for their home ground
2. All teams get the same amount of games at the MCG (not sure how it would be divided maybe 3 games each...I haven't calculated it.)

What do you think? Would this be a good idea? Although extremely unlikely the AFL would do something like this it would be the best way of making grand finals at the G fair amongst all teams in my opinion.

Wouldn’t work. It’s like saying Freo & Eagles can’t use the Stadium as a home ground. There are too many teams in Melbourne & only 2 AFL grounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn’t work. It’s like saying Freo & Eagles can’t use the Stadium as a home ground. There are too many teams in Melbourne & only 2 AFL grounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty sure they could manage it. It is not like what you said at all instead of the pies and tiges constantly playing there the teams that would be playing at Marvel would instead play at the G swapped with said home MCG team.

Pretty sure they could manage it. It is not like what you said at all instead of the pies and tiges constantly playing there the teams that would be playing at Marvel would instead play at the G swapped with said home MCG team.
which again wouldn't work because the Pies and Richmond games would be attracting bigger crowds than the capacity of Marvel while the Dogs would be playing in from of 10k people at the G. The economics don't work.

which again wouldn't work because the Pies and Richmond games would be attracting bigger crowds than the capacity of Marvel while the Dogs would be playing in from of 10k people at the G. The economics don't work.
I guess you ignored the part where i said AFL would never do it but this is how it should be for equity?

I guess you ignored the part where i said AFL would never do it but this is how it should be for equity?
I guess I took the part where you said - what do you think? - literally, & said what I think. That I don't think its practical for any number of reasons.
I think what should happen is the highest ranked team to qualify should host the game, no matter where that is. Which is equally as unlikely to happen.

I guess I took the part where you said - what do you think? - literally, & said what I think. That I don't think its practical for any number of reasons.
I think what should happen is the highest ranked team to qualify should host the game, no matter where that is. Which is equally as unlikely to happen.
Righto

Shouting down? How do you do that with text? Sure try to stay within the parameters, but side threads will happen. What's the biggie? Scroll on or pick up falsehoods/irrationality if you want.

How is that their fault?
Queensland just kept theirs open, hoping for AFL to come. Good on them, they paid for it. Politics and money speaks. Even as Gabba is a 2nd world stadium compared to Optus.

I hope to visit Optus Stadium soon because I have a hypothesis I have to test. But before then......

How good is hosting a grand final hey? You'll attend no matter who is playing :D :D :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back