BigFooty Official 2021 OFFICIAL BIGFOOTY PHANTOM DRAFT

Remove this Banner Ad

PICKS AND ORDER
IF YOU WANT TO READ THROUGH THE THREAD AND ONLY SEE THE SELECTIONS RATHER THAN COMMENTARY FROM NON-DRAFTERS, CLICK 'READER MODE' NEXT TO YOUR 'WATCH' BUTTON

Pick 1 - North Melbourne - Jason Horne-Francis
Pick 2 - Western Bulldogs MATCHED BID - Sam Darcy
Pick 3 - Collingwood MATCHED BID - Nick Daicos
Pick 4 - GWS - Josh Gibcus
Pick 5 - Gold Coast Suns - Neil Erasmus
Pick 6 - Adelaide - Finn Callaghan
Pick 7 - Hawthorn - Ben Hobbs
Pick 8 - Fremantle - Josh Rachele
Pick 9 - Richmond - Josh Ward
Pick 10 - Fremantle - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
Pick 11 - St Kilda - Matthew Johnson
Pick 12 - West Coast - Josh Goater
Pick 13 - Essendon - Tyler Sonsie
Pick 14 - Port Adelaide - Josh Sinn
Pick 15 - GWS - Mac Andrew
Pick 16 - Brisbane - Jye Amiss
Pick 17 - Richmond - Jacob Van Rooyen
Pick 18 - Sydney - Darcy Wilmot
Pick 19 - Melbourne - Campbell Chesser
Pick 20 - Brisbane - Mitch Owens

Pick 21 - Fremantle - Mitch Knevitt

Pick 22 - North Melbourne - Tom Brown
Pick 23 - Hawthorn - Rhett Bazzo
Pick 24 - GWS Giants MATCHED BID - Josh Fahey
Pick 25 - Geelong - Arlo Draper
Pick 26 - Hawthorn - Conor Macdonald
Pick 27 - Carlton - Angus Sheldrick
Pick 28 - Richmond - Zac Taylor
Pick 29 - Richmond - Cooper Murley

Pick 30 - Richmond - Blake Howes
Pick 31 - West Coast Eagles - Toby Conway
Pick 32 - Geelong - Sam Butler
Pick 33 - Sydney - Ned Long
Pick 34 - Geelong - Leek Alleer
Pick 35 - Adelaide - Matty Roberts
Pick 36 - Geelong - Brady Hough
Pick 37 - West Coast Eagles - Jesse Motlop

Pick 38 - Melbourne - Judson Clarke
Pick 39 - Sydney - Paul Curtis

Pick 40 - Brisbane - Alastair Lord
Pick 41 - North Melbourne - Jack Williams
Pick 42 - North Melbourne - Arthur Jones
Pick 43 - Melbourne - Charlie Molan
Pick 44 - Collingwood - Kai Lohmann
Pick 45 - Geelong - Kade Dittmar
Pick 46 - Essendon - Shay Linke
Pick 47 - Brisbane - Hugh Jackson
Pick 48 - Collingwood - Taj Woewodin
Pick 49 - Essendon - Corey Warner
Pick 50 - Melbourne - Youseph Dib
Pick 51 - Collingwood - Lachlan Rankin

Pick 52 - Hawthorn - Joshua Browne
Pick 53 - Brisbane - Miller Bergman
Pick 54 - Fremantle - Anthony Caminiti
Pick 55 - St Kilda - Bailey Rogers
Pick 56 - Port Adelaide - Sam Breuer
Pick 57 - Carlton - Luke Polson
Pick 58 - Western Bulldogs (Darcy bid residual points) - Morgan Ferres
Pick 59 - Hawthorn - Jake Soligo
Pick 60 - St Kilda - Jack Avery
Pick 61 - St Kilda - Charlie Dean
Pick 62 - West Coast - James Tunstill
Pick 63 - Fremantle - Eric Benning
Pick 64 - Sydney - Justin Davies
Pick 65 - North Melbourne - Sam Banks
Pick 66 - Port Adelaide - Harvey Harrison
Pick 67 - Port Adelaide - Oscar Adams
Pick 68 - Adelaide - Jordan Lukac
Pick 69 - Brisbane - Marcus Windhager

(Selections to meet minimum of 3 criteria) note: this is for the phantom only, in the real draft rookie upgrades and such will happen to meet the minimum criteria

Pick 70 - Gold Coast Suns - Jase Burgoyne
Pick 71 - Carlton - Isaac Birt
Pick 72 - Gold Coast Suns - Ethan Regan
Pick 73 - Western Bulldogs (Darcy bid residual pick) - Luke Nankervis
Pick 74 - Western Bulldogs (Darcy bid residual pick) - Hugh Stagg
Pick 75 - Western Bulldogs (Darcy bid residual pick) - Dante Visentini
Pick 78 - GWS (list spots left after Fahey bid) - Ronald Fejo Jnr

Rookie Draft (1 Round for fun xx)
RD Pick 1 - North Melbourne - Jahmal Stretch
RD Pick 2 - Collingwood - Lukas Cooke
RD Pick 3 - Gold Coast Suns - Max Chipper
RD Pick 4 - Adelaide - James Willis
RD Pick 5 - Hawthorn - Toby Murray
RD Pick 6 - Carlton - Mani Liddy
RD Pick 7 - Richmond - Lewis Rayson
RD Pick 8 - Fremantle - Luca Whitelum
RD Pick 9 - St Kilda - Blake Schlensog
RD Pick 10 - West Coast Eagles - Lochie Paton
RD Pick 11 - Essendon - Dylan Landt
RD Pick 12 - Sydney
RD Pick 13 - GWS - Corey Preston
RD Pick 14 - Brisbane - Oscar Morrison
RD Pick 15 - Geelong - Kaden Harbour
RD Pick 16 - Port Adelaide - Zavier Maher
RD Pick 17 - Western Bulldogs - Zac Becker
RD Pick 18 - Melbourne - Jamieson Ballantyne

Bids in more detail
Pick 2 - GWS bid on Sam Darcy - (Requires 2014 points to match, Dogs use 23, 43, 44, 45, 52. Gain 2, 60)
Pick 3 - GWS bid on Nick Daicos - (Requires 1787 to match, Pies use 36, 38, 40, 43. Gain 3 [pretty sure this is about bang on])
Pick 24 - Geelong bid on Josh Fahey - (Requires 690 to match, GWS use 46 and 65. Gain 24. 200-odd point deficit)

Last edited:
Pick 60 - Jack Avery, Pick 61 - Charlie Dean
Best position:
General defence
Height, weight: 190cm, 83kg
Recruited from: Perth
Plays like: Tom Stewart
Rationale: While Avery was born one year earlier than his peers, he's as fundamentally sound and well-rounded of a defender as you'll find in this draft. Despite playing in defence, Avery led the WAFL Colts with a competition high 34-disposals before transitioning to WAFL League play where he has enjoyed immediate success and looked at home. He plays all facets well, from intercepting, to rebounding, to beating his direct opponent. On the back of the ease with which he has transitioned to WAFL League level and the consistency he has displayed at the level, Avery looms as one of the best plug-and-play options in this draft.
Strengths:
Production
Performances against League opposition
Rate of improvement
Intercept marking
Reading of the ball in flight
Work rate
Strength
One-on-one defence
Versatility to play as a third tall or key defender
Plays taller than his height and can play against key forwards
Negating of opponent's influence
Generate rebound both by foot and with his run and carry
AFL ready-to-go game
Weaknesses:
In-between size as not quite key defence height
Unclear scope to play up the ground
Inconsistency by foot

Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medalist for the VFL most promising. Love his resilience, seen as a potential first round pick heading into 2019, he goes undrafted but continues putting in the work and improving his craft and has a terrific year in the VFL this season. Strong 1v1, good intercepter, sound skills. He's a ready-to-go key defender and one of the VFL's very best. Also as a teacher at Wesley College

Why Avery and Dean?

As always, best available selections. Avery is one of this year's premier general defenders and was the WAFL Colts best before shifting to WAFL League level and playing good footy there and Dean gives the Saints a much needed key defender who is good enough to allow Highmore to play as a 3rd tall instead of as a key defender where he is woefully undersized. What appeals to me with both boys is they've both missed out on getting picked and have gone back and put in the work to keep improving at a rate higher than their peers. That hunger, work ethic and want to improve is exactly what I'd be wanting on my team, and the bonus is for this point in the draft there are no compromises in doing so.

Monocle is next.

Last edited:
Pick 62 - James Tunstill
Pick 62. West Coast - James Tunstill. 185cm 74kg Midfielder. East Perth.

download-4.jpg

Happy to be able to take Tunstill with this pick.

What appealed to me is that I think he has a lot of upside to his game and he plays in a position that WC are short on in depth.
He has clean hands and for the most part, he makes good decisions ( more on that later ), he has decent pace and finds his own ball.
Good on the spread and seems to have a good footy brain, which is evident by where he places himself at stoppages to best the extricate himself out of traffic into space.

Is a balanced mid with pretty sound disposal skills.

What he needs to work on, is this.

He starts games well and it's where his best football is on show, however what I noticed is that, he has a habit of fading somewhat as the game goes on and as he gets tired then his skills drop away, as does the quality of his decision making, which is hardly surprising as at every level when players get tired their skills drop off.

While thats a bit frustrating , what it does tell me is that he needs to build on his tank and work on his body strength, if he can do this, then I think he has the makings of a very good footballer that can play well in the AFL level.

No doubting when his best skills are on display, he looks good and projects as a kid with AFL playing traits.
If he gets himself to the point where he can do so for a full game, he could be a real good value pick .

Like I said he has a lot of upside and his ceiling is high.

Last edited:
Pick 62. West Coast - James Tunstill

Taking another midfielder.
Write up after work tonight.

Considered Hugh Stagg & Mani Liddy

Chris25 you are up.
between you and chris I am fuming smh

Best position:
General defence
Rationale: While Avery was born one year earlier than his peers, he's as fundamentally sound and well-rounded of a defender as you'll find in this draft. Despite playing in defence, Avery led the WAFL Colts with a competition high 34-disposals before transitioning to WAFL League play where he has enjoyed immediate success and looked at home. He plays all facets well, from intercepting, to rebounding, to beating his direct opponent. On the back of the ease with which he has transitioned to WAFL League level and the consistency he has displayed at the level, Avery looms as one of the best plug-and-play options in this draft.
Strengths:
Production
Rate of improvement
Intercept marking
Work rate
Strength
One-on-one defence
AFL ready-to-go game
Weaknesses:
Inconsistency by foot

Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medalist for the VFL most promising. Love his resilience, seen as a potential first round pick heading into 2019, he goes undrafted but continues putting in the work and improving his craft and has a terrific year in the VFL this season. Strong 1v1, good intercepter, sound skills. He's a ready-to-go key defender and one of the VFL's very best. Also as a teacher at Wesley College

Why Avery and Dean?

As always, best available selections. Avery is one of this year's premier general defenders and was the WAFL Colts best before shifting to WAFL League level and playing good footy there and Dean gives the Saints a much needed key defender who is good enough to allow Highmore to play as a 3rd tall instead of as a key defender where he is woefully undersized. What appeals to me with both boys is they've both missed out on getting picked and have gone back and put in the work to keep improving at a rate higher than their peers. That hunger, work ethic and want to improve is exactly what I'd be wanting on my team, and the bonus is for this point in the draft there are no compromises in doing so.

Monocle is next.

I like dean. Im not sure he will be big enough to take the gorillas but as a third tall he will be very good. The fothergill round medallist translating to afl has a good track record too.

I reckon this is the range you will find Warner gets picked up, unless Sydney Pounce with their second selection on the night. I could easily see Sydney utilizing their first two picks with Knevitt then Warner. Polson a bit later unless a team running out of picks has the list need, otherwise rookie.

I personally would have been happy to take warner in the 20s but i agree its a really even draft from 15 or so on so he could go later than that. I agree sydney might go for him with one of their R2s. Otherwise hes a good fit for what geelong needs. If sydnet take both knevitt and warner they wont be my friends anymore. 😂 Polson i reckon will be as good value as most of the top 20 talls in this draft he is very underrated.

I like dean. Im not sure he will be big enough to take the gorillas but as a third tall he will be very good. The fothergill round medallist translating to afl has a good track record too.

195cm is fine where he could either take the #1 or #2 key forward of the other team and he should keep getting stronger. We've got guys at 190cm playing as key defenders, so I can't say I'm worried. His 1v1 play is strong and where expected for his age. It's if anything more his speed which he needed to chip away at over the last 24 months since getting overlooked if anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 63 - Eric Benning
#63 Fremantle - Eric Benning (196cm, 83kg forward/ruck)

I could wait and see if Benning gets through undrafted, but I'll just take the Fremantle NGA prospect here and not risk it. As I've said before, it's not a good year for KPPs and it's arguably even worse for rucks. So someone with the athleticism and upside of Benning will surely attract some attention. He's coming from a fair way back but has really improved as the season has gone - his footballing is starting to match his athleticism now. His ruck work is developing nicely, and he's starting to hit his leads as a forward too.

As my picks are done now, some guys I like still on the board - Cooper Beecken, Luca Whitelum, Jordan Lukac, Zac Becker.

andleanback

Best position:
General defence
Strengths:
Production
Rate of improvement
Intercept marking
Work rate
Strength
One-on-one defence
AFL ready-to-go game
Weaknesses:
Inconsistency by foot

Why Avery and Dean?

Monocle is next.
are we not gonna take Marcus windhager? Or because he is an nga we get first access to rookie him?

are we not gonna take Marcus windhager? Or because he is an nga we get first access to rookie him?

Plainly put, I see better options still on the table with a higher probability of having an AFL career.

St Kilda in the real thing I imagine would match bids on him, and a bid should come earlier than this.

I'm not personally going to take an NGA or F/S just for the sake of it. If they're not the highest player on my board and a good way off, it makes no sense to select them or match bids.

Windhager can fall into the rookie draft and if this draft continued into the rookie draft, there are players I'd still be picking ahead of him with my view being if I were to select him, it's a pick on potential over performance, and a speculative one.

I personally would have been happy to take warner in the 20s but i agree its a really even draft from 15 or so on so he could go later than that. I agree sydney might go for him with one of their R2s. Otherwise hes a good fit for what geelong needs. If sydnet take both knevitt and warner they wont be my friends anymore. 😂 Polson i reckon will be as good value as most of the top 20 talls in this draft he is very underrated.
Polson has been on my radar a good chunk of the year as i think some club is going to get great value with him, I am surprised he isn't a little higher ranked, 196cm, 94kg already built like a seasoned AFL player, clearly has speed given finishing 3rd in the 20m sprint at the combine, plus top 10 in both vertical and running vertical leap, reminds me of Mark Blicavs of Geelong.

Plainly put, I see better options still on the table with a higher probability of having an AFL career.

St Kilda in the real thing I imagine would match bids on him, and a bid should come earlier than this.

I'm not personally going to take an NGA or F/S just for the sake of it. If they're not the highest player on my board and a good way off, it makes no sense to select them or match bids.

Windhager can fall into the rookie draft and if this draft continued into the rookie draft, there are players I'd still be picking ahead of him with my view being if I were to select him, it's a pick on potential over performance, and a speculative one.
Hey KM, any reason you didn't bid on Bodhi Uwland with one of your picks (given you rated him top-20)? Not a criticism, just curious.

Yeah Right. Is there any reason you don’t rate him. Cal rates him really highly

Hey KM, any reason you didn't bid on Bodhi Uwland with one of your picks (given you rated him top-20)? Not a criticism, just curious.

Sadly in the rules that were distributed it was decided the Gold Coast Academy prospects were unavailable for selection.

Uwland would have been my second selection had he been available.

I can't speak for what Cal is thinking and I haven't compared my ratings to his, but Windhager hasn't impressed me this year and is one I find strange to list in a top-20 or whatever he puts together. There hasn't been that one game where I've walked away feeling like with Windhager I've watched someone I'd draft or consider for a top-50 spot in my extended power rankings.

What's wrong with his game? He hasn't shown he can win a sufficient amount of his own ball. And if you're a midfielder. You better be able to win your own ball. Those who can't win their own ball at a high rate rare make the grade.

Cal rated one of our academy kids as a future pick 1. We just delisted him.

Cal rated a Richmond father son kid in the teens in his draft year. Richmond just delisted him.

Cal rated Jarrod Brander as a top 5 player while he was still in GWS’s academy. West Coast just delisted him.

Notice a pattern yet?

Cal rated a Richmond father son kid in the teens in his draft year. Richmond just delisted him.

Cal rated Jarrod Brander as a top 5 player while he was still in GWS’s academy. West Coast just delisted him.

Notice a pattern yet?
Rates Daicos as Pick 1 too so clearly clubs should beware and let him slide to the Rookie Draft.

Notice a pattern yet?

Twomey needs a new pair of glasses?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back