BigFooty Official 2021 OFFICIAL BIGFOOTY PHANTOM DRAFT

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 51 - Lachlan Rankin
  • Pick 51 - Lachlan Rankin (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)

I’ll write the full profile up later, but I took him in the BF PD podcast and I was planning on taking him here. Plus PMBangers threatened me if I didn’t.

The main reason is I feel like we need another red head on the team... but seriously great skills and athleticism, damaging around goals, just has high X-factor, high ceiling, someone who can really build and become something special. Teaming up with Daicos again adds to it, so very happy to welcome him in. Rankin fits a need of being able to hit targets.

Davo-27

Pick 52 - Joshua Browne
  • pick 52 - Joshua Browne - East Frem - 185cm 77kg

inside/outside mid, i liked what i have seen from him over the course of 2 years, he is a Hawks supporter as well, good WA V SA series, from my notes he was in the top 3 in both games he played in the WA V SA series for WA, averages over 30 poss in the WAFL Colts, 11 goals in 14 games and has a good inside/outside game, can win the contested ball and feed it out as well as a good runner and link player and seems to have good endurance, as well as having room to improve physically with a good frame.

ModernArtillery you're up

Last edited:
    Pick 53 - Miller Bergman
  • Pick 53 - Brisbane - Miller Bergman
    188cm/65kg
    Dandenong Stingrays

Bergman is a mobile, athletic type who covers the ground really easily and can impact the game aerially. He willingly and quite courageously flies for marks and competes to either take the grab himself or bring it to ground. He's a classy user by foot and a good finisher in front of goal so there are weapons there that make him desirable. He's got the versatility to find a role at half forward, on a wing or as an interceptor and user across half back and that flexibility will give him plenty of opportunities to find a role at AFL level.

I was choosing between Bergman and another half back but favoured Bergman's versatility.

Chris25

Last edited:
    Pick 54 - Anthony Caminiti
  • #54 Fremantle - Anthony Caminiti (196cm, 83kg, Vic Metro)

Edited in the write up...

It's not a complete shot in the dark, but the room certainly is dimly lit. I'm not going to pretend I've seen a lot of Caminiti, I saw about one and a half games of his this year, although to be fair he only played the 3 NAB League matches having mostly played at Carey. I've seen a lot more of the SA boys and strongly considered them here - the production of Ferres, the potential of Cook and the athleticism of Lukac.

But I'm going with Caminiti, who did receive a Combine invite off the back of his handful of games. It's not a draft stacked full of tall talent, so it feels like a team could take a punt on a high upside guy like Caminiti - whether it's late in the national draft or as a rookie. At the very least, I wouldn't be surprised to see his name pop up again next year if he returns to the U18s.

The reason I've gone with him is just that the overall package is appealing. He has above average athleticism and quickness for a tall, and is particularly good on the lead. In the games I saw, he consistently got away from his defender on the lead and has a long reach. Marking looked solid, and should only improve as he gets stronger - provided he can get stronger and build on his frame. I think he has potential to play either as a deep leading target or as a more mobile CHF type. For Fremantle specifically, he has a touch more speed than Taberner and would provide a good mix with the strength of Treacy.

Obviously all of that is said with the caveat being that it's based off limited viewing. But when does that stop BigFooty.

Last edited:
    Pick 55 - Bailey Rogers
  • #54 Fremantle - Anthony Caminiti (196cm, 83kg, Vic Metro)

I’ll do a write up tomorrow. Strongly considered the three SA tall forwards, but why not take a chance.

Knightmare

I'm going to continue my commitment to building St Kilda a competitive midfield and I'm excited to be adding someone at this point who can walk into the Saints best-22 in round one.

#55 St Kilda - Bailey Rogers

Taken from one of my weekly wraps 15/9 to give a feel for his game:

Earning back-to-back selection across half-back in the 2019 and 2020 WAFL Team of the Year, Bailey Rogers has taken his game up a gear this season and transformed into one of the competition's premier midfielders who can push forward. A Sandover Medal contender as one of the WAFL's best this season, Rogers is an AFL ready, 24-year-old who has not only been finding and winning plenty of the football, but also heavily influencing games.

Through the midfield for Claremont in their one-point loss to South Fremantle, Rogers displayed his first possession winning capabilities, won ground balls off the bounce on the move and showed class with his ball use by hand and foot. While his acceleration is only average, he displayed good agility and a high work rate.

It was forward of centre where Rogers looked most dangerous. Rogers felt like he would hit the scoreboard any time the ball was in his area. He felt dangerous at stoppages around goal, on the lead, one-on-one and when the ball came to ground. While Rogers kicked two goals, if felt like he could have kicked six, missing two gettable opportunities, while another two shots on goal were smothered. It's not unusual for Rogers to hit the scoreboard heavily, kicking seven goals over his past three games.

While Rogers had his lowest output game in a while, with just 18 disposals, his first sub 25 disposal performance in his past eight games, his impact per possession was very high. With Haiden Schloithe and teammate Jye Bolton both playing in the same game and being the measuring sticks in the WAFL for midfield play outside the AFL, Rogers this season has joined them in that top tier of midfielders outside the AFL.

With a style of game baring some similarities to Sydney's Luke Parker, as a well-rounded midfielder who can push forward and provide a threat, Rogers is a plug and play component who would suit an AFL midfield requiring additional versatility and class.

Additional notes: Sandover Medalist and most appealing state league midfielder. 4 game stretch kicking 9 goals at the end of the season. Being that damaging forward of centre and being a legit good midfielder, Rogers is from my perspective a walkup start for the Saints as a rotational mid/fwd who splits his time and impacts games in both positions. Unlucky in his draft year not to get picked, he has persisted, kept improving year on year and with a role where he was more featured this year he has become a problem.

Macca19 you're next.

Pick 56 - Sam Breuer
  • Pick 56 - Port Adelaide

Sam Breuer - GWV Rebels

183cm, 80kg Midfielder/Defender

Sam is a versatile small who has shown he can play a variety of roles for GWV Rebels this year. Whether its as a shutdown defender, or as a centre square midfielder, there have been a few constants with his game that show he has some AFL traits, those being toughness, pace, endurance and commitment to his role.

Sam has a good AFL pedigree behind him. His dad is 125-game Shayne Breuer who played in 2 grand finals for Geelong and was part of the inaugural Port Adelaide AFL squad, kicking the first goal for Port Adelaide at AFL level. Shayne was an elite runner and skillful user of the ball who also played a variety of roles at AFL level and Sam has picked up a lot of his traits.

Whilst he played the majority of the season in the backline, there were 3 games where he was moved into the midfield and really showed a lot of intent with his chances of getting drafted. He had 30 disposals, 7 tackles, 6 inside 50s and a goal against Gippsland in Round 8, backing that up with 35 disposals, 12 tackles, 4 inside 50s and a goal in Round 9 as well. There was also another match against Sandringham later in the season where whilst he didn't get a lot of the ball, he was one of the best on ground with strong ball use and good defensive play through the midfield.

The midfield is where I see his future. He is tough at the ball, sets his eyes on it and often wins it and can show good burst speed out of a pack. He has the ability to run all day and makes sure his opponent doesn't win the football. He has a long kick but does need to work on his accuracy at times. The fact he can also play as that shutdown small defender who can create off half back, or as an outside midfielder shows that there are a couple of options that can be developed once in the system.

Arr0w you are up

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 59 - Jake Soligo
  • pick 59 - Hawthorn - Jake Soligo - Eastern - 179cm 79kg

i was tossing up between Banks and Soligo, but i think Soligo plays a more contested brand of footy(which helps acclimatise to AFL footy) and more so mid/wing than Banks who is hbf/wing, his Vic Metro Game was the deciding factor in the end(as well as Banks having a wrist injury), he was one of the top 6 players for Vic Metro in their win over Vic Country and i value the state performances highly(the other 5 VM guys got taken early Goater, Ward, Daicos, Owens and Curtis), it shows that he can perform under pressure and against the best talent in their age group.

he is a running mid, to add some speed and quality to our mids, as i picked a few accumulators over athletes early, so i went for some speed in the midfield here, i was also looking at Ferres, but he went to the Dogs in the prior pick

Knightmare you're up

Pick 60 - Jack Avery, Pick 61 - Charlie Dean
  • Pick 60 - St Kilda - Jack Avery
    Best position:
    General defence
    Height, weight: 190cm, 83kg
    Recruited from: Perth
    Plays like: Tom Stewart
    Rationale: While Avery was born one year earlier than his peers, he's as fundamentally sound and well-rounded of a defender as you'll find in this draft. Despite playing in defence, Avery led the WAFL Colts with a competition high 34-disposals before transitioning to WAFL League play where he has enjoyed immediate success and looked at home. He plays all facets well, from intercepting, to rebounding, to beating his direct opponent. On the back of the ease with which he has transitioned to WAFL League level and the consistency he has displayed at the level, Avery looms as one of the best plug-and-play options in this draft.
    Strengths:
    Production
    Performances against League opposition
    Rate of improvement
    Intercept marking
    Reading of the ball in flight
    Work rate
    Strength
    One-on-one defence
    Versatility to play as a third tall or key defender
    Plays taller than his height and can play against key forwards
    Negating of opponent's influence
    Generate rebound both by foot and with his run and carry
    AFL ready-to-go game
    Weaknesses:
    In-between size as not quite key defence height
    Unclear scope to play up the ground
    Inconsistency by foot

Pick 61 - St Kilda - Charlie Dean
    Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medalist for the VFL most promising. Love his resilience, seen as a potential first round pick heading into 2019, he goes undrafted but continues putting in the work and improving his craft and has a terrific year in the VFL this season. Strong 1v1, good intercepter, sound skills. He's a ready-to-go key defender and one of the VFL's very best. Also as a teacher at Wesley College

Why Avery and Dean?

As always, best available selections. Avery is one of this year's premier general defenders and was the WAFL Colts best before shifting to WAFL League level and playing good footy there and Dean gives the Saints a much needed key defender who is good enough to allow Highmore to play as a 3rd tall instead of as a key defender where he is woefully undersized. What appeals to me with both boys is they've both missed out on getting picked and have gone back and put in the work to keep improving at a rate higher than their peers. That hunger, work ethic and want to improve is exactly what I'd be wanting on my team, and the bonus is for this point in the draft there are no compromises in doing so.

Monocle is next.

Last edited:
    Pick 62 - James Tunstill
  • Pick 62. West Coast - James Tunstill. 185cm 74kg Midfielder. East Perth.

download-4.jpg

Happy to be able to take Tunstill with this pick.

What appealed to me is that I think he has a lot of upside to his game and he plays in a position that WC are short on in depth.
    He has clean hands and for the most part, he makes good decisions ( more on that later ), he has decent pace and finds his own ball.
    Good on the spread and seems to have a good footy brain, which is evident by where he places himself at stoppages to best the extricate himself out of traffic into space.

Is a balanced mid with pretty sound disposal skills.

What he needs to work on, is this.

He starts games well and it's where his best football is on show, however what I noticed is that, he has a habit of fading somewhat as the game goes on and as he gets tired then his skills drop away, as does the quality of his decision making, which is hardly surprising as at every level when players get tired their skills drop off.

While thats a bit frustrating , what it does tell me is that he needs to build on his tank and work on his body strength, if he can do this, then I think he has the makings of a very good footballer that can play well in the AFL level.

No doubting when his best skills are on display, he looks good and projects as a kid with AFL playing traits.
    If he gets himself to the point where he can do so for a full game, he could be a real good value pick .

Like I said he has a lot of upside and his ceiling is high.

Last edited:
    Pick 63 - Eric Benning
  • #63 Fremantle - Eric Benning (196cm, 83kg forward/ruck)

I could wait and see if Benning gets through undrafted, but I'll just take the Fremantle NGA prospect here and not risk it. As I've said before, it's not a good year for KPPs and it's arguably even worse for rucks. So someone with the athleticism and upside of Benning will surely attract some attention. He's coming from a fair way back but has really improved as the season has gone - his footballing is starting to match his athleticism now. His ruck work is developing nicely, and he's starting to hit his leads as a forward too.

As my picks are done now, some guys I like still on the board - Cooper Beecken, Luca Whitelum, Jordan Lukac, Zac Becker.

andleanback

Pick 64 - Justin Davies
  • Pick 64 - Sydney Swans

Justin Davies - Dandenong stingrays/ Vic country

194cm/92kg - Defender

It was a real toss up at this pick and thought about whether Sydney should just pass all together. I also thought about taking Rentsch, but with Ladhams being brought into the team they now have a heap of depth in the forward and ruck stocks (Amartey, Mclean, sinclair, Mcdonald, Reid, mcAndrew).
    I watched Davies play live a few times this year and his competitiveness as defender and his ability to defend one on one, really took my eye. He’s the type of player that trained up in swans system could thrive, especially with their ability to mold young players into reliable afl defenders. He’s slightly undersized at 194cm but has shown that ability to play on either tall or small forwards (think Jake Kelly), which is important as coaches loves versatile defenders in this day and age.
    giantroo

Pick 65 - Sam Banks
  • Pick 65 - Sam Banks - Medium defender - 187cm/ 71kg - Tasmania/Clarence

Not expecting a 5th pick here but taking the Tasmanian here. Banks is a leader, a smooth mover and an elite distributor of the pill playing mainly off the half back line with stints in the midfield and the wing. Banks has shown that he can accumulate the pill in defence and provides plenty of run and carry. I would like to see him get more contested ball however he is too good not to be picked up. Banks also trained with North Melbourne as part of the AFL Academy program.

2021 NAB League (4 games)
    21.8 disposals, 6 rebound 50s, 4 marks, 103 ranking points.

Macca19

Pick 66 - Harvey Harrison, Pick 67 - Oscar Adams
  • Pick 66 - Port Adelaide

Harvey Harrison - North Adelaide

181cm, 71kg, Balanced Midfielder

Harvey is a pacey midfielder who has picked up big numbers for North Adelaide in the under 18s all season. Capable of playing both inside and out, Harvey has shown a propensity to win clearances and breakaway with the ball all season. The way he plays he looks like an outside midfielder, but the more you watch, the more you notice just how good he can be at winning his own ball as well.

He finished the season 7th in total disposals (25.2 per game) and 2nd in total clearances (5.4 per game) in the SANFL under 18s and showed a lot of consistency in winning the football, falling below 20 disposals in only 4 out of 17 games. What really catches your eye is his run and carry when he gets the ball. He tested quickest out of all players tested at the combines this year and it shows in the way he plays. He gathers the ball and puts on the jets before driving long inside 50. He has breakaway clearances that have you nodding your head in approval and he can hit the scoreboard as well, kicking 9 goals for the year including a bag of 4 against Norwood in Round 7.

Whilst his decision making is very good, his skill execution especially by foot can be improved on. He can tend to rush his kicks when going at full pace so just needs to learn to steady before he kicks. Size wise he is quite slender so will need to put on quite a bit of core strength before he can play AFL midfield. There is a lot of Karl Amon about how he plays and having a young midfielder like Harvey come in and learn from someone like Karl and Xavier Duursma will be beneficial.

He is #38 on my draft rankings.

------------------------------------------------------

Pick 67 - Port Adelaide

Oscar Adams - Glenelg

198cm, 85kg, Key Defender/Tall Utility

Oscar is a tall key defender with a good leap, good reach and an ability to play further up the field. For the first half of this season Oscar showed his versatility by playing in the Ruck for Glenelgs under 18 side and did so with distinction. Averaging 14 disposals, 20 hitouts, 4.75 marks and 2.6 inside 50s a game, he impressed with his Ruck craft, his leap and an ability to find some of his running players such as Hugh Stagg and Harry Tunkin with the ball.

But what I like about him most and why i've drafted him is for his more natural play as a key defender. Whether its playing on the last line or more across half back, Oscar shows a lot of talent with his defensive nous. He has a big leap and knows how to get that fist in to spoil the ball away. He kept the ever dangerous Lukas Cooke to just the 1 goal in each of their two match ups in the under 18s finals.

With the likes of Jonas and McKenzie aging and with Lienert getting delisted, Ports key defensive stocks are in need of more replenishment and I feel Oscar is the best available key defender at this pick. The fact he can also ruck is a bonus and he'll get plenty of opportunity to development both those aspects of his game at SANFL level. He does need to put on weight and muscle, he is quite thin at the moment, but he does have the frame that should be able to grow into an AFL body.

Oscar is #41 on my draft rankings.

Thunderstruck you are up mate

Pick 68 - Jordan Lukac
  • Pick #68 - Adelaide - Jordan Lukac Woodville-West Torrens 196cm 89kg

I think he's worth a shot down here, he's certainly higher on my board.

Lukac had a terrific finish to the season becoming a flexible tall in both the SA Under 19 comp and also the Nationals against WA. He's got a beautiful set of hands, can take those strong one grab marks. Very good one on one, will take front position and then pluck the ball in front of his eyes. Contested ability no problems at all. More than competent as a pinch hitter in ruck and has a decent leap and well directed tap. Mobile, covers the ground well and is fairly sound at reading the play but his goalkicking can be spasmodic and will spray a few but does create numerous opportunities.

I feel in the right environment he could make a dangerous athletic package that would pose problems for defenders. He would be an upgrade on both Himmelberg and Frampton for a low risk pick here.

ModernArtillery

Last edited:
    Pick 69 - Marcus Windhager
  • Pick 69 - Brisbane - Marcus Windhager
    183cm/82kg
    Sandringham/Vic Metro

I'm disappointed not to be able to add a key position defender as I felt that was a need, but ultimately my options are some of the delisted free agents (which may suit better given Brisbane are in the window) or one I'm hoping would still be available in the rookie draft. Brisbane probably aren't taking this pick to the National Draft anyway so I just thought I'd stick to my talent board and take Windhager who will probably be in that 25-35 group once I've finalised my rankings. I selected fellow Saints NGA prospect and Sandringham teammate Mitch Owens with one of my first round selections so it'd be nice to take them up north together. I'm aware Windhager has recently injured his back which is a pretty big concern and could cause a significant slide on draft night, but I view him as a National Draft talent so happy to get him here.

Windhager has demonstrated his versatility fulfilling multiple roles across half forward, the wing and half back. I think his position at the next level is likely to be across half forward where he can effectively push up the ground and be a conduit between the midfielders and forwards but also play a role defensively as a pressure forward and tackler inside 50. I really like Windhager as a prospect and if he can improve his finishing and use by foot then he can absolutely find a role at AFL level.

Ysaye

Last edited:

Pick 70 - Jase Burgoyne
  • Pick 70 Jase Burgoyne
    Height: 185cm Wgt: 64kg

Reasoning: On a needs basis I would like a ruck here but I dont feel I can justify any that remain on the table. Decided to go with Burgoyne because although light and very outside, I always thing the combination of good agility, a bit of speed and generally good kicking skills can be made to work in a range of positions.

There are a couple of others I have around this mark, so will see if Arr0w takes either.

Pick 71 - Isaac Birt
  • Pick 71 - Carlton - Isaac Birt 181 70 SA Strathalbyn FC (Wingman)

Birt has had a solid season averaging over 20 disposals at 85% DE. I really like his work rate and courage, often backing back into packs and is really underrated overhead. Reads the play very well and uses his vision and that left peg extremely well. Reminds me of a young Kade Simpson and will take some time to build his body and game, but I believe it would be a sound investment

Back to you Ysaye

Pick 72 - Ethan Regan
  • Pick 72: Ethan Regan
    Height: 191cm Weight: 82kg

Reason: difficult choice between him and Morgan Ferres but I think slightly more athleticism and maybe results has won out on a close one. WCE NGA so PMBangers do you want to offer a chance to match?

otherwise Wizard17

Pick 73 - Luke Nankervis, Pick 74 - Hugh Stagg, Pick 75 - Dante Visentini
  • Pick 73 - Luke Nankervis (189cm, 76kg Wing/Forward via Sandringham Dragons)

Pick 74 - Hugh Stagg (179cm, 81kg inside mid/Forward via Glenelg)

Pick 75 - Dante Visentini (201cm, 88kg forward/ruck via Sandringham Dragons)

PMBangers

Pick 76 - Ronald Fejo Jnr
  • Pick 76 - Ronald Fejo Jnr - West Adelaide/ NT
    178 cm 70 kg
    Wing/ Small Forward
    fejo.jpg
    Strength:
    Movement/ Composure
    Rationale: My last pick was always going to be a forward half player given we just had Bobby Hill try to leave and one of the reasons for holding him was our lack of depth/ cover in the area. Fejo Jnr has been a bit of a flavour of the month recently after earning himself a combine invite late and then having everyone (myself included) go back and watch some vision and move him up their boards accordingly. For me it's a toss up here between Fejo, Jahmal Stretch and Corey Preston, each with their own advantages and ultimately the two deciding factors for me were; Fejo has moved previously to play football, with no guarantee it'd be a full time role, that to me and a non-traditional football state club is a huge tick when it comes to home sickness concerns and the second reason is just his phenomenal composure with the ball, I genuinely haven't seen Fejo rushed with ball in hand and think that is a big tick for a guy I'd want to play as a half forward.

Another thing for me here is that none of my options were clearly better than the others in terms of their forward pressure stuff which is one of the main things I look for in small forwards, but Fejo maybe edges out the other two slightly in that regard. Anyway, I think his two main issues are easy fixes at the next level, one being his endurance and the other being his tendency to go back into traffic, but with good coaching that shouldn't be an issue

Just as an aside I had Nankervis or Caminiti absolutely locked in for this pick after the Fahey match, genuinely filthy they got taken

Rookie Draft Pick 1 - Jahmal Stretch
  • So..... to kick off the Rookie draft....

I select...

#1 - Jahmal Stretch – Small forward - 178cm/62kg. - Claremont/ Western Australia

X-Factor and in spades. Jahmal is another excitement machine that can turn it on in a matter of minutes. He possesses a big leap with marking power and can kick goals from just about anywhere in the forward 50. His tackling pressure has been great this season as he averaged 3.4 tackles per game. He is a true small forward and has drawn comparisons to West Coast’s Liam Ryan. It’s a position North has struggled to fulfil since the early days of Lindsay Thomas and Matt Campbell and I was happy to take Jahmal and pair him with the earlier selection of Arthur Jones.

Pie 4 Life

Rookie Draft Pick 2 - Lukas Cooke
  • I’ll edit it fully later but to keep the draft moving…

Pick 2 - Collingwood - Lukas Cooke (WWT Eagles/South Australia)

A mobile key forward, good developing prospect and perfect for the rookie draft.

Ysaye

Remove this Banner Ad

Back