2021 Olympic Road cycling

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a strong list of candidates for the Road race, a 234 km mountainous race with the highest peak topping out at 1435 metres. The favourites for the race are the usual suspects, Tadej Pogacar, Wout van Aert, Primoz Roglic, Remco Evenepoel and Joao Almeida, but don't be surprised if someone like Michael Woods does well too.

As for the time trial, Filippo Ganna hasn't entered so it'll likely be between the likes of Wout van Aert, Primoz Roglic, Rohan Dennis, Tom Dumoulin and Kasper Asgreen.

I don't pretend to know enough about the Womens road race to make any sort of prediction.

In the men's RR many teams are lacking support riders for the flat, so there is every chance the second break will take the win - The women's RR is on a less hilly course and it's impossible to look past the Dutchies.

The men's ITT should be a battle between Ganna, Dennis and Van Aert - Dygert should win the women's ITT.

In the men's RR many teams are lacking support riders for the flat, so there is every chance the second break will take the win - The women's RR is on a less hilly course and it's impossible to look past the Dutchies.

The men's ITT should be a battle between Ganna, Dennis and Van Aert - Dygert should win the women's ITT.
Ganna hasn't entered the ITT for some reason

TT course has nearly 900m of elevation gain, i think it was too much for Ganna. Not sure what the Slovenians are doing, both Pog and Rog would be close to faves on this course, I think Roglic is the only one riding it. Good course for Dennis as well and has the advantage of no TDF so he has had longer to focus his training on this. I think Remco can do well on this course as well.

RR is brutal, nearly 5000m of climbing makes this one of the toughest 1 day race courses for the year. Over 30k from the top of the Mikuni Pass which is a hard climb. With the Slovenian's and Belgium both having multiple favourite chances tactics will be interesting to watch. Wout wins in a sprint so i cant see Pog/Rog towing him up the last climb but Remco could sacrifice to get him back if needed. Recovery from the Tour will play a major part i think, not a race to bet on.

The route for the Men's road race, for anyone not aware

b6c8ead282aa04347818c6f3f29d1b40fd486ccd.jpg

And the Mikuni Pass climb - 6.75km at an average of 10.5%, with sections at 16%

tumblr_pnfd6fPQOf1ropreyo4_r1_1280.png

The women's route, being shorter, doesn't include the loop and excursion over the Mikuni Pass though

Last edited:
From the preview by The Inner Ring blog

The race starts at 11:00am JST and is due to finish around 5.30pm. The Fuji climb is forecast to start soon after 2.00pm, Mikuni pass around 4.15pm.

So Mikuni Pass, which should be decisive if one of the climbers are to win, will start at about 5:15pm AEST

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have commentary? I'm on the stream linked above, just the moto microphones.
Main channel has it. Have Liggett and two others. You're better off

Remove this Banner Ad

Back