2nds 2021 Peel Thunder (Freo Reserves) Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Thorne really lifted when Peel needed something in that last quarter. They have some good young players, a lot (like a couple of our draftees) still learning how to be consistent WAFL leauge players, - as well as some seasoned premiership players and ex-AFL.

From Freo point of view, Treacy got a good workout and covered a lot of territory around the ground. Looked tired towards the end of the 3rd quarter when he let that hit up pass from Valente spill through his hands but came back strongly in the last.

Valente and Bewley got a good share of the ball and used it well.

Surely we would at least have a look at Thorne. He is better than some of our list
I like Thorne and always have but is he really?

Better than any of our mids at AFL level? nope
Better than Henry? nope
Better than Western? nope

I suspect he'd just end up playing at Peel anyway. Do we really need to pay for that when we don't have to?

AFL player?
ALF player?

220px-GordonShumway.png

I like Thorne and always have but is he really?

Better than any of our mids at AFL level? nope
Better than Henry? nope
Better than Western? nope

I suspect he'd just end up playing at Peel anyway. Do we really need to pay for that when we don't have to?
He’s averaging 25 disposals 5 marks and 2 g per game but Henry and Western are better?

He’s averaging 25 disposals 5 marks and 2 g per game but Henry and Western are better?
Um yes because stats at WAFL are meaningless. Thorne doesn't have anywhere close to Western's speed nor Henry's skills - things that you need at AFL level. Winning lots of ball at WAFL level alone never equates to AFL ability.

I know everyone is keen on finding the next Tim Kelly or Liam Ryan but Thorne just doesn't seem anywhere close to their league to me. I was gobsmacked watching Tim and Liam play WAFL before they were drafted. Felt the same watching Marlon Pickett but took him years to be drafted. Thorne is an absolute battler - love everything about him at WAFL level - not convinced he has the attributes to impact at AFL level. Maybe some club gives him a chance and he proves me wrong?

Last edited:
having a wingmen who can shut down opposition wingmen is incredibly underrated imo. its on the outside where a team can take you to the cleaners. its a good point about bewely being effective at this. However he isn't as good as aish and acres.
I’d rather Bewley with his 70-80% efficiency then Acres often running as a headless chook. Acres and Aish aren’t accountable as a duo this season. Just haven’t been doing enough defensively during the losses we’ve had

He doesn’t use it that well. Western and Henry haven’t been playing midfield which boosts the numbers so comparing purely by possession numbers is irrelevant.

Thorne is a good little player and will probably be a Sandover medalist at some point if he keeps working hard but he’s not AFL suited imo. Way too small/light and doesn’t hurt the opposition with his kicks.

Um yes because stats at WAFL are meaningless. Thorne doesn't have anywhere close to Western's speed nor Henry's skills - things that you need at AFL level. Winning lots of ball at WAFL level alone never equates to AFL ability.

I know everyone is keen on finding the next Tim Kelly or Liam Henry but Thorne just doesn't seem anywhere close to their league to me. I was gobsmacked watching Tim and Liam play WAFL before they were drafted. Felt the same watching Marlon Pickett but took him years to be drafted. Thorne is an absolute battler - love everything about him at WAFL level - not convinced he has the attributes to impact at AFL level. Maybe some club gives him a chance and he proves me wrong?
I didn’t think Liam Henry played WAFL before he was drafted??

Strnadica 52 hitouts and +20 disposals. I reckon we are going to regret letting him go.
Not going to. We already do. Meek won out, just so unfortunate that at one stage we had an overabundance of rucks. He was developing. Needed that 2-3 years bulking up. Lobb was on the list so we backed him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know everyone is keen on finding the next Tim Kelly or Liam Henry but Thorne just doesn't seem anywhere close to their league to me. I was gobsmacked watching Tim and Liam play WAFL before they were drafted. Felt the same watching Marlon Pickett but took him years to be drafted. Thorne is an absolute battler - love everything about him at WAFL level - not convinced he has the attributes to impact at AFL level. Maybe some club gives him a chance and he proves me wrong?
Thorne has done way more than Henry at WAFL level. Do you even watch WAFL?

It was a serious question, do you think he’ll be effective at AFL level? Ok? Good? Quality? A grade? What’s your call? I can’t get a handle on it at this point.
I think he will be because he seems classy af when he has the ball. But he is still building and isn't impacting WAFL games enough yet so can't be certain. Actually think he may suit AFL more than WAFL but he needs to earn a debut first.

Just on Treacy i still don’t understand why Freo didn’t take him away i know he only had 12 possessions but he has a presence which i don’t think anyone on our list has, certainty puts fear in the opposition bizarre decision imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back