2nds 2021 Peel Thunder (Freo Reserves) Discussion

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Did he kick more than 30m? I was disappointed in the depth of his kicking at the start of the year. Several of his passes fell short of the target.
He baulked some Beagle muppet then hit Sturt lace out with a 45m+ pass in the forwardline to run into an open goal

he also passed off a shot from 40m out so i'm not sure his kicking is AFL standard for shots quite yet.

he also passed off a shot from 40m out so i'm not sure his kicking is AFL standard for shots quite yet.
You mean the one to Western when he was in a better position? After the derby I need a half glass full position to take and I'll believe Henry would have made all his shots that he chose to pass off, he just being unselfish

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
You mean the one to Western when he was in a better position? After the derby I need a half glass full position to take and I'll believe Henry would have made all his shots that he chose to pass off, he just being unselfish

early in the third he basically passed off a ball to a 50/50 because it seemed like he didn't think he would make the distance.

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
The only redeaming thing I'll say about NOD yesterday was he was playing on probably one of the few AFL standard players from WC. Cameron is too good for that level.
He has missed quite a but of footy and is playing in a position different to his natural one. He belongs in the midfield. Just send him to the reseve midfield already.

Mogumber

Club Legend
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
We should rookie that Thorne kid, no-one will want him and he'll come cheap.
He is a very smart footballer, much smarter than High Profile Logue & Lobb, and would cost 15% as much.
Nominated for 2019 draft, and o/looked ever since.
Depth but could surprise

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
He has missed quite a but of footy and is playing in a position different to his natural one. He belongs in the midfield. Just send him to the reseve midfield already.
He can barely pick the ball up off the ground in space. That skill is not position dependant. Never been so underwhelmed by a reasonably high pick.

In my head he is a bust, I look forward to being made a fool of.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
So if the whole game was junk time we should just ignore the performances of Treacy, Sturt, Henry and Meek then? Can't have it both ways.
Nah, I didn't know a thing about O'Driscoll before he was drafted so obviously he must have shown something, but whatever it was it hasn't been evident this year. Was not WAFL league standard yesterday, should be playing reserves if others on our list can't get in the Peel league team due to numbers
He played some really good games for Perth league last year in the midfield. One game he was BOG. He has had an interrupted start, a new club and a new recent role (he has played hbf before in the colts,). I have always had question marks about his disposal (not horrible but not great) and decision making. But he runs very hard and has a very good defensive side. Not liking him in defence. Doesn't seem to have the tools required imho. But he may come good given a little time.

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
He is a very smart footballer, much smarter than High Profile Logue & Lobb, and would cost 15% as much.
Depth but could surprise
Weighs 60kg...the water boy would be stronger than him.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I did the same, have to temper expectations because the opposition was horrendous but Henry looked like he was playing against under 10s, awesome game. Was also nice to watch our team win some ground ball contests after that horrendous other game
Yeah it was poor opposition, just like it was against East Perth a few weeks back but you can only play what is in front of you and I thought excepting Blakely and O'Driscoll the other 9 Freo listed players showed more than enough even accounting for the limited pressure they were under at times.

I'm in two minds about putting Henry back in Freo's 22. He was everything we would want at Peel yesterday. People will point to the poor opposition but it was just as much what he did without the ball as what he did with it (ie. the endless goal assists plus the 'special' goal above, almost another earlier in the game) that impressed me. Second efforts chasing multiple players. Hard running from end to end. Bringing the ball to ground against 3 opponents in the air. Getting hammered in a tackle and bouncing up to make the next play -> still having the awareness to hit Lawler in the corridor (who then somehow stuffed it up?!?). Always looked to share the ball (one time being too selfless). This kid is as classy as any we've ever had on our list but we need him to be as composed at AFL level as he is at WAFL whilst also increasing his intensity further defensively. We could rush him back in but stringing together a few more solid performances at Peel might have him coming in off good form and with high confidence. It pains me but I'd keep him at Peel for now.

I feel similarly about Treacy. Definitely has all the tools to be an AFL player. He is a dead eye in front of goals from any range. The thud from one of his contested marks inside 50 could be heard in Perth (from Mandurah) - uses his vice like hands to take the ball at its highest point. His biggest highlight for me was when he wheeled around in the corridor at half back and took off and then launched the ball into space so other forwards could run on to it. That turn of speed was very impressive. But it wasn't just his attack, he did plenty defensively and often looked to block for his teammates. Do we keep him at Peel to build confidence or rush him back in? For his sake I'd keep him at Peel but doubt it will be for very long. He makes such a difference to the forward line structure at Peel - they/Freo need another tall forward in the mix.

Sturt is going to be as important to our future forward line as almost anyone else but he still doesn't look 100% (and I'm talking before he was limping). Crossing fingers he can build over the next few games and then slot in to the AFL side. Similar to Treacy, he is a dead eye in front of goals. If Fyfe had Sturt's set shot technique he might be leading the Coleman :) Sturt's field kicking is similarly classy. He's just missing a bit of his speed we know he has - gets that back, trusts his body (so he can defend better) and he'll impact plenty at AFL level.

I didn't mention Western in my notes straight after the live game because I wanted to check out the replay first. Every time the ball was near him he was impressive. He's got an elite athletic profile but his footy smarts are underrated. His defensive work was a lot better than last time I saw him at WAFL. Some of his one percenters were excellent - like contesting in the air to stop a repeat i50 entry for WC. The only criticism I have is I don't think Peel utilise him nearly enough. His speed is a weapon - they needed to get the ball to him more. He should have spent more time in the middle. Despite him needing to build his body and strength I think he's ready for an AFL debut. I like the dynamic he is building with Henry so not critical he is rushed in. I'll be tempering expectations when he does debut but I'm confident this kid could prove himself as B22 within a year.

Someone on here was critical of Giro's disposal? I think I saw him miss one kick and one handball across the whole game. Apart from those two times I thought he was really solid. Continuously helped out the defenders by providing an outlet, and found himself in space to link up a lot from pure gut running. Brayshaw played a similar role for WC but was nowhere near as impactful. I've never been a massive fan but he's clearly worked hard on his deficiencies and deserves another chance at AFL level.

If that is what Bewley can dish up in his first game back then I'm thinking he might still have a future. Thought his run was excellent and really liked seeing him putting his body on the line a number of times. Don't remember him missing a target once. If he was fit now I'd consider throwing him back in the 1s.

Not much to not like about Meek's game. Was solid in the ruck and impacted around the ground. Deserves to be playing AFL but I'm still not convinced you can play two genuine rucks in the same team and be competitive against half decent teams? But we've proven we can be s**t either way so who knows?

If you watch O'Driscoll's work for the two years pre-draft you would not recognise the player we saw yesterday. And I'm not talking about the haircut. If he has come out and said he prefers playing half back then they need to do an MRI asap. He looks like a point guard that has been asked to play centre. Resuscitation required -> Peel reserves midfield, stat. He needs to improve...? Everything. If you are struggling comprehending us drafting him, just pretend we didn't for the rest of the year... I'd still back him in to make it based on what I saw at u18s - will take time though.

As for Blakely... How did a guy that used to dominate WAFL in the midfield in Peel's premiership years become such a liability at the same level now? Has the game really changed that much? Not sure who to blame for it but he looks done - cannot see a way back for him despite him getting an occasional gig in Freo's team as sub. I'd honestly send him to Peel Reserves to give others more time to develop in the midfield at this stage.

Banfield was playing his best game in forever before being injured. Really annoyed for him. Was also glad to see him lining in the middle at least once - kicked two goals early but he's really not a forward!

And now the potential Peel INs for next week...

Sad to hear Thomas lost someone close :( I didn't think Pina was too bad yesterday but Thomas is an upgrade so hope he is ready to come back in? I would not be surprised if he would have been considered for an AFL debut in the coming weeks as he has been very solid at WAFL level.

We need Walker playing and building at half back at League level. His run and skills would have slotted in nicely yesterday. Really hope him not playing was only because of limited numbers and not some injury we don't know about. Need to be patient with his development but like Henry, it should pay off plenty in the long run.

Freddy needs to come back to Peel - let him tear it up and build some confidence. Maybe throw him on a wing and let him tear games apart with his run. Or if we keep him in the forward line then set some clear defensive KPIs. If we can get the dynamic with Freddy, Henry and Western happening we are going to develop some pretty potent line breaking potential and be far more dangerous forward of centre.

Crowden looks completely lost at AFL level playing as a small forward - is not impacting games with or without the ball. Get him back to Peel playing in the middle and task him with tackling like a mad man again and working the ball to the outside for clean i50s. I don't get why he wasn't given time in the middle yesterday? He is an inside midfielder. Other than being short he ticks so many more boxes as a mid than Blakely does.

In: Freddy/Crowden, Thomas, Walker
Out: Giro (Freo), Banfield (inj), O'Driscoll (Reserves)

Peel's Rd 6 Team

B Ewing ~ Schofield ~ Thomas
HB Walker ~ Hancock ~ Lake
C Merrett ~ Blakely ~ Bewley
HF Frederick ~ Sturt ~ Henry
F Bell ~ Treacy ~ Western
R Meek ~ Valente ~ Howlett
I/C Thorne ~ Randall ~ ? ~ ?

MadEyeEmmy

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah it was poor opposition, just like it was against East Perth a few weeks back but you can only play what is in front of you and I thought excepting Blakely and O'Driscoll the other 9 Freo listed players showed more than enough even accounting for the limited pressure they were under at times.

I'm in two minds about putting Henry back in Freo's 22. He was everything we would want at Peel yesterday. People will point to the poor opposition but it was just as much what he did without the ball as what he did with it (ie. the endless goal assists plus the 'special' goal above, almost another earlier in the game) that impressed me. Second efforts chasing multiple players. Hard running from end to end. Bringing the ball to ground against 3 opponents in the air. Getting hammered in a tackle and bouncing up to make the next play -> still having the awareness to hit Lawler in the corridor (who then somehow stuffed it up?!?). Always looked to share the ball (one time being too selfless). This kid is as classy as any we've ever had on our list but we need him to be as composed at AFL level as he is at WAFL whilst also increasing his intensity further defensively. We could rush him back in but stringing together a few more solid performances at Peel might have him coming in off good form and with high confidence. It pains me but I'd keep him at Peel for now.

I feel similarly about Treacy. Definitely has all the tools to be an AFL player. He is a dead eye in front of goals from any range. The thud from one of his contested marks inside 50 could be heard in Perth (from Mandurah) - uses his vice like hands to take the ball at its highest point. His biggest highlight for me was when he wheeled around in the corridor at half back and took off and then launched the ball into space so other forwards could run on to it. That turn of speed was very impressive. But it wasn't just his attack, he did plenty defensively and often looked to block for his teammates. Do we keep him at Peel to build confidence or rush him back in? For his sake I'd keep him at Peel but doubt it will be for very long. He makes such a difference to the forward line structure at Peel - they/Freo need another tall forward in the mix.

Sturt is going to be as important to our future forward line as almost anyone else but he still doesn't look 100% (and I'm talking before he was limping). Crossing fingers he can build over the next few games and then slot in to the AFL side. Similar to Treacy, he is a dead eye in front of goals. If Fyfe had Sturt's set shot technique he might be leading the Coleman :) Sturt's field kicking is similarly classy. He's just missing a bit of his speed we know he has - gets that back, trusts his body (so he can defend better) and he'll impact plenty at AFL level.

I didn't mention Western in my notes straight after the live game because I wanted to check out the replay first. Every time the ball was near him he was impressive. He's got an elite athletic profile but his footy smarts are underrated. His defensive work was a lot better than last time I saw him at WAFL. Some of his one percenters were excellent - like contesting in the air to stop a repeat i50 entry for WC. The only criticism I have is I don't think Peel utilise him nearly enough. His speed is a weapon - they needed to get the ball to him more. He should have spent more time in the middle. Despite him needing to build his body and strength I think he's ready for an AFL debut. I like the dynamic he is building with Henry so not critical he is rushed in. I'll be tempering expectations when he does debut but I'm confident this kid could prove himself as B22 within a year.

Someone on here was critical of Giro's disposal? I think I saw him miss one kick and one handball across the whole game. Apart from those two times I thought he was really solid. Continuously helped out the defenders by providing an outlet, and found himself in space to link up a lot from pure gut running. Brayshaw played a similar role for WC but was nowhere near as impactful. I've never been a massive fan but he's clearly worked hard on his deficiencies and deserves another chance at AFL level.

If that is what Bewley can dish up in his first game back then I'm thinking he might still have a future. Thought his run was excellent and really liked seeing him putting his body on the line a number of times. Don't remember him missing a target once. If he was fit now I'd consider throwing him back in the 1s.

Not much to not like about Meek's game. Was solid in the ruck and impacted around the ground. Deserves to be playing AFL but I'm still not convinced you can play two genuine rucks in the same team and be competitive against half decent teams? But we've proven we can be sh*t either way so who knows?

If you watch O'Driscoll's work for the two years pre-draft you would not recognise the player we saw yesterday. And I'm not talking about the haircut. If he has come out and said he prefers playing half back then they need to do an MRI asap. He looks like a point guard that has been asked to play centre. Resuscitation required -> Peel reserves midfield, stat. He needs to improve...? Everything. If you are struggling comprehending us drafting him, just pretend we didn't for the rest of the year... I'd still back him in to make it based on what I saw at u18s - will take time though.

As for Blakely... How did a guy that used to dominate WAFL in the midfield in Peel's premiership years become such a liability at the same level now? Has the game really changed that much? Not sure who to blame for it but he looks done - cannot see a way back for him despite him getting an occasional gig in Freo's team as sub. I'd honestly send him to Peel Reserves to give others more time to develop in the midfield at this stage.

Banfield was playing his best game in forever before being injured. Really annoyed for him. Was also glad to see him lining in the middle at least once - kicked two goals early but he's really not a forward!

And now the potential Peel INs for next week...

Sad to hear Thomas lost someone close :( I didn't think Pina was too bad yesterday but Thomas is an upgrade so hope he is ready to come back in? I would not be surprised if he would have been considered for an AFL debut in the coming weeks as he has been very solid at WAFL level.

We need Walker playing and building at half back at League level. His run and skills would have slotted in nicely yesterday. Really hope him not playing was only because of limited numbers and not some injury we don't know about. Need to be patient with his development but like Henry, it should pay off plenty in the long run.

Freddy needs to come back to Peel - let him tear it up and build some confidence. Maybe throw him on a wing and let him tear games apart with his run. Or if we keep him in the forward line then set some clear defensive KPIs. If we can get the dynamic with Freddy, Henry and Western happening we are going to develop some pretty potent line breaking potential and be far more dangerous forward of centre.

Crowden looks completely lost at AFL level playing as a small forward - is not impacting games with or without the ball. Get him back to Peel playing in the middle and task him with tackling like a mad man again and working the ball to the outside for clean i50s. I don't get why he wasn't given time in the middle yesterday? He is an inside midfielder. Other than being short he ticks so many more boxes as a mid than Blakely does.

In: Freddy/Crowden, Thomas, Walker
Out: Giro (Freo), Banfield (inj), O'Driscoll (Reserves)

Peel's Rd 6 Team

B Ewing ~ Schofield ~ Thomas
HB Walker ~ Hancock ~ Lake
C Merrett ~ Blakely ~ Bewley
HF Frederick ~ Sturt ~ Henry
F Bell ~ Treacy ~ Western
R Meek ~ Valente ~ Howlett
I/C Thorne ~ Randall ~ ? ~ ?

Great post and I completely agree!

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

The pass was actually a harder kick to make than the goal; I got the impression he was told to try and get goal assists because he wasn't playing the team game enough. From past games I know he can definitely easily kick the distance with accuracy.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I watched the replay last night. Definitely helped forget that "other game" that I vaguely recall watching yesterday... Do it, you know you want to.

The bald headed ump was useless, is it Nichols brother?

On a positive note though, I thought Hooker did a good job despite occasionally being unable to hide her WC bias.

Purpleheart_56

Team Captain
May 18, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Depth but could surprise
Agree skilled and tough...Good footballer

Peel Thunder
THORNE Tyrone
Check out his BOG stats WC game...
33 disp 2 goals,not bed at all for smaller than water boy mid...Add 6 marks and 6 tackles...

Last edited:
Back