2nds 2021 Peel Thunder (Freo Reserves) Discussion

I think the discussion should be about Valente, not NOD. We’ve been very patient with Valente & yet are writing NOD of after a couple of games.
To be fair, one is due to injury, one is due to looking... just bad. It's honestly baffling watching NOD play at the moment, he legit cant pick the ball up. its like someone space jammed his ability or something

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah he looked good but it was a very poor opposition

There was some fat little ammos player running around for them who looked like they dragged him from the pub because they were short on players

Mc Donald had maybe a 5 last year as an 18 yr old

See how he goes against a real WAFL defence I’d suggest

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
4 was the most McDonald kicked (that I did check).

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think the discussion should be about Valente, not NOD. We’ve been very patient with Valente & yet are writing NOD of after a couple of games.
To be fair, one is due to injury, one is due to looking... just bad. It's honestly baffling watching NOD play at the moment, he legit cant pick the ball up. its like someone space jammed his ability or something
At least Valente looks at a minimum WAFL standard when he gets on the park. That's why we are all piling on NOD. He looks barely WAFL reserve standard.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Shall we talk about the tooth fairy as well? Think we need to stick to people who exist or this forum might get crazy weird.
I though there was a dedicated thread to that extremely humorous storyline?

At least Valente looks at a minimum WAFL standard when he gets on the park. That's why we are all piling on NOD. He looks barely WAFL reserve standard.
So do we just forget his form last season as a 17 year old playing league footy?
How much preseason did he have?
Why does Valente get given time & not NOD? Baffling.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
It blows my mind people writing off first-year players (or even being scathing of first-year players). Especially ones who have spent their first preseason injured.

The higher you go (the less experienced you are) the more feel, rhythm and confidence play a part in footy. So much of that comes from strength and conditioning that comes with an extended block of playing and training.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle

So do we just forget his form last season as a 17 year old playing league footy?
How much preseason did he have?
Why does Valente get given time & not NOD? Baffling.
I didn't see any of last year but as I understand it, his stats where ok but not good at WAFL level.

This is my first proper eye test on him and it's hard to watch.

Every time I have seen Valente play, when not clearly injured, he looks clean, can tackle and can kick. That's the difference. NOD can't even pick up the ball as Snuff says.

FD2646

Premiership Player
Sep 11, 2008
Everywhere, anywhere
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth
I've seen NOD playing for Perth last year and in the u18s match at the MCG (you know the dal Santo vs brown team crap) where he was the best WA based player from my recollection. I'm still backing him to come good and think he will eventually be a midfield beast.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I didn't see any of last year but as I understand it, his stats where ok but not good at WAFL level.

This is my first proper eye test on him and it's hard to watch.

Every time I have seen Valente play, when not clearly injured, he looks clean, can tackle and can kick. That's the difference. NOD can't even pick up the ball as Snuff says.
NOD might to as a 21/22 year old in his 3rd year on the list. In addition to playing deep in defence compared to a free wheeling mid.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
:( Damian Drum would have liked it.

I'm not sure we learned too much about Valente we didn't already know on the weekend. He was clean, he impacted with most of his disposals, and he continues to show glimpses of the classy midfielder we all thought he is. But he only ended up with 13 disposals. I was a bit shocked the count was that low after checking the stats post game. I am strongly in the 20 effective disposals are a lot better than 40 suspect disposals camp, but for midfielder at WAFL level I think you need to be getting more than he is in a game to be putting your hand up for an AFL debut. Not sure if it is a fitness thing? Whether they are holding him back still? Or whatever? But hoping he can continue building and earn himself an AFL debut because he looks good when he gets the ball.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've seen NOD playing for Perth last year and in the u18s match at the MCG (you know the dal Santo vs brown team crap) where he was the best WA based player from my recollection. I'm still backing him to come good and think he will eventually be a midfield beast.

Like Blakely? Cos that's what he is emulating at Peel. When he gets the ball he instantly throws it onto his boot in a blind kick forward... to no-one from our team.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
NOD might to as a 21/22 year old in his 3rd year on the list. In addition to playing deep in defence compared to a free wheeling mid.
Bit of Mayo there, he is 20.

I also said "every time" I saw Valente play because he plays just like he did as a u18. So his form line is consistent. The only thing he hasn't been doing that he used to is get it 20+ times a game, but I'll give him an out for a few more weeks just to build his match fitness.

Half back is the easier position to play and it's not the number of touches he is or isn't getting (as depending on your role, it's out of your hands) that bothers me, the problem is how untidy he is trying to take possession and then how poor his disposal is. So many fumbles and missed kicks.

I'm not sure we learned too much about Valente we didn't already know on the weekend. He was clean, he impacted with most of his disposals, and he continues to show glimpses of the classy midfielder we all thought he is. But he only ended up with 13 disposals. I was a bit shocked the count was that low after checking the stats post game. I am strongly in the 20 effective disposals are a lot better than 40 suspect disposals camp, but for midfielder at WAFL level I think you need to be getting more than he is in a game to be putting your hand up for an AFL debut. Not sure if it is a fitness thing? Whether they are holding him back still? Or whatever? But hoping he can continue building and earn himself an AFL debut because he looks good when he gets the ball.
I hope they are holding him back because you are right, he isn't getting it enough. He got plenty of it as a junior so I think if he strings 10 games together fully fit, the possessions should come.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think it was the moment when NOD had the ball in the middle of the ground under no pressure and kicked 20m to two players open on the wing and missed them by a good 2m that had me thinking he isn't in the right headspace. I really do think it is a case of him being so bad lately that we probably shouldn't worry. Something is fundamentally off and when it is fixed everything else will likely fall into place. At least that's what I tell myself given we traded up to get him at the expense of not grabbing a tall forward in the ND.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle

You've got to add them together then divide by two.

1620100348662.png

1620100368280.png

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think it was the moment when NOD had the ball in the middle of the ground under no pressure and kicked 20m to two players open on the wing and missed them by a good 2m that had me thinking he isn't in the right headspace. I really do think it is a case of him being so bad lately that we probably shouldn't worry. Something is fundamentally off and when it is fixed everything else will likely fall into place. At least that's what I tell myself given we traded up to get him at the expense of not grabbing a tall forward in the ND.
I know the one. Horrifying. I don't know how to reconcile NOD so far.

On one hand, he tested brilliantly, played league as an u18 and was picked for WA and the show matches. We also traded up to get him, suggesting we rated him a fair bit higher than where we got him.

On the other hand, you can't play midfield at AFL level if your ball handling is poor and you can't play half back flank if you can't kick at least average. Also, no chance we traded up for a half back.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Bewley was pretty decent last year and has a great kick on him, he's worth a shot on the wing with Acres and Aish underperforming.
He’s better defender too. He was underrated in the way he helped limit the opposition efficiency. Aish isn’t a two way runner nor is Acres.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Bewley was pretty decent last year and has a great kick on him, he's worth a shot on the wing with Acres and Aish underperforming.
I'm not sure if I agree that Acres is underperforming yet but as I didn't watch a replay of the derby, I'm not sure who was responsible for having so many loose players out on WC'S wings. It may have been our wingmen or our hf's. Aish doesn't do enough often enough to keep a wing to himself. Bewley also played HF alright last year iirc

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
having a wingmen who can shut down opposition wingmen is incredibly underrated imo. its on the outside where a team can take you to the cleaners. its a good point about bewely being effective at this. However he isn't as good as aish and acres.

Back