2nds 2021 Peel Thunder (Freo Reserves) Discussion

If you lot think Keitel doesn't deserve the last spot on our List over a Watson, Giro type..you overrate our list more than Dodoro does Essendons.
Or maybe you overrate him.

We will have twice as many spots for rebounding smalls than we will for the least agile and least effective tall forward on our list.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I actually would have liked us to pick someone up in the MSD but don’t think it would have made mich of difference, just another person most on here would whinge about as delist material but I’m pretty sure Rotham was picked at an earlier or similar pick to Darcy…
Yeah 3rd round, but they have 2 rookie picks in McGovern, Edwards playing with Barrass another 3rd rounder.
They don’t have access to the best draft talent, yet still find plenty of gems in the wafl.
Do you think we could do better? I do and Menagola, Collins would agree.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The pick before Sean Darcy.

So if that's talent identification then Freo win because Sean is a better ruckman than Rotham is a spare defender.

And again, the Eagles choice of Brander with their first pick cost them two firsts to bring back Kelly. So let's not get our undies too friendly after West Coast replaced some injured players and barely beat St Kilda at home after losing to the bottom side at home a week and a half ago.
Not just WC but Tigers?

Yeah 3rd round, but they have 2 rookie picks in McGovern, Edwards playing with Barrass another 3rd rounder.
They don’t have access to the best draft talent, yet still find plenty of gems in the wafl.
I think we could do better (because no one is perfect) but our drafting and development is pretty good IMO. You keep pulling random examples but I could do similar of bargains we’ve picked up down the order.

Personally feel our trading players in is the worst in the comp which is what’s held us back more than anything. Imagine replacing the Lobb/Hogan deal with King and Rozee on our list.

On Peel, Noddy was best on for Freo players right? It’s good to see he’s grown a lot from the start of the year given he’d seemingly had his ability space jammed from his draft year

Or maybe you overrate him.

It is almost as if people don't watch the WAFL and after watching one game they are creaming themselves over a player they are seeing for the first time.

Saying that, I do believe that he is worth a spot on an AFL list.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think we could do better (because no one is perfect) but our drafting and development is pretty good IMO. You keep pulling random examples but I could do similar of bargains we’ve picked up down the order.

Personally feel our trading players in is the worst in the comp which is what’s held us back more than anything. Imagine replacing the Lobb/Hogan deal with King and Rozee on our list.

On Peel, Noddy was best on for Freo players right? It’s good to see he’s grown a lot from the start of the year given he’d seemingly had his ability space jammed from his draft year
Sorry it just bugs me when posters think more 1st rounders is the way to go. Hasn’t worked for GC, Blues, etc.
It’s what happens after the first round which determines if your drafting is successful.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wow, what has happened to Reece Conca? That was one of the softest things I have ever seem on a footy field - even under 8s.
He was dropped and then sulked about getting dropped when playing at Peel. That effort you are describing seems like a pretty constant thing he has done since getting dropped. I think he had a clause in his contract that it got extended if he was playing a certain amount of the time for Freo in the last year of his previous contract. Im thinking he didn't meet the criteria thankfully.

Its seems like a distant memory Freo players like Blakely, Langdon and Weller dominating at WAFL level before getting a game. I think its time for a mass cleanout of our fringe group and our injury hit veterans. Hill, Conca, Giro, Duman, Crowden and Colyer should all be delisted from the main list. Keep Blakely and Valente as they have contracts but delist and redraft them to the rookie list. Promote Shultz if he wants to stay as he has interest from other clubs apparently. That would free up 7 places on the main list as Hughes as been upgraded but we had 37 on our main list last year so there is an extra space.

We need to bring in some players who regularly show great effort and application in games at state league players with late picks like Freeman and Partington or our depth will be the worst in the league. We don't have any picks outside of the 2nd round until picks in the 70's so that won't be easy. We should have a good look at delisted free agents who have shown talent. If Cerra leaves then we should use that trade to not only get two early picks but as many late picks as possible not past 60. Darcy Tucker could also be used in trade perhaps to get a decent pick outside of the first two rounds.

With the rookie list delist Banfield, Watson, Thomas possibly keep Bewley. Treacy is signed on as a rookie already. With Valente and Blakely that would give us two rookie picks to use. Its time for a change and time to stop giving endless chances for players to improve.

Last edited:

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Watching the game on the video link yesterday, one player for Peel that showed just a few glimpses with good disposal was the left footer Kitchingman. Just looking up his stats - it seems it was his first WAFL league game.

I only thought about it again seeing Gulden play for the Swans.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Where was Western?
Apparently had a minor niggle at the last Cockburn training session. Last weekend against Claremont he was along with Hayden Young the only Freo WAFL players named in the best. Western had 21 possessions and 3 goals. We’re down a few small forwards with Walters and Switta injured. Also Banfield and Colyer are not showing any form to warrant re-selection..

beetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
You could stick Buddy in Freo’s forward line and he wouldn’t get a kick with the crap entries our mids deliver

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Keitel has been passed 162 times, fair to say that every club doesn't think he is AFL standard. They could be wrong of course.
That's roughly two drafts worth of selections... it's far more than that.

He's 25 or so isn't he.

People need to give this one up. It'd surprise me to ever see him on an AFL list but more surprising things have happened.

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Game summary

Attachments

• 8986F632-F103-4A26-A543-105FF5B7632F.png
    8986F632-F103-4A26-A543-105FF5B7632F.png
    707.4 KB · Views: 87
May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
That's roughly two drafts worth of selections... it's far more than that.

He's 25 or so isn't he.

People need to give this one up. It'd surprise me to ever see him on an AFL list but more surprising things have happened.
I just did it as 18 teams x 9 drafts. You can definitely argue it is more than that.

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
Collins was not a WAFL player.Recruited from Victoria if my memory serves me correctly.

Back