Strategy 2021 Draft and Hypothetical pick trade proposals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol seriously can we just have a ban on posting things ol clickbait Kornes says…

none of it is interesting and it’s all designed to just stir people up.

Hodgey wants a new rule! Hodgey gets a new rule.

No more clickbait s**t from Cornes in here.

Also:
Can we also threadban Rendell quotes. The bloke is senile.
Done ✔️

You cannot be serious

The Hill deal has no relevance or leverage whatsoever to this years trade period. Yes they paid unders but that was their good fortune PLUS we were desperate to use that pick which we did as part of the JOM deal

It’s like Carlton saying to us this year - hey give Tom Mitchell to us this year for a second rounder coz we helped you out (which they did) 2-3 seasons ago

Nonsensical and simply illogical to suggest that Freo would let Cerra come to us for unders this year. They will demand and most likely receive a very high pick or multiple picks for Cerra if he leaves
Think of Hill as payback for Croad. We're square.

Cerra is class but im not sure of his contested game and ive managed to see almost all of his games . Currently the 5th midfielder behind brayshaw,mundy,fyfe and serong . I wouldn't be offering a super high pick.

If we do get a mid first for Mitchell on trade that to freo +21 then swap our 2nd and their 3rd rounder next year , Pretty fair all round .

Freo supporters would want a higher pick but without going on their bored and reading who they want in the draft I don't think there would be many wanting anymore Vic metro boys for the go home factor. Both picks would give them access to the WA talls and a chance to take johnson or Erasmus with their first.

I think Richmond make a good trading partner for Hawthorn because both clubs have complimentary list needs.

Richmond should be going into next season with Astbury, Broad, Caddy, Edwards, Grimes, Lambert, Lynch, Martin, Nank, Prestia, Riewoldt, Vlaustin still there.

They face the prospect of riding out that group's careers with mediocre finishes, or they could have a real crack at a 4th and 5th flag with the right moves.

I could easily see a scenario play out where they go for Mitchell and/or Wingard. They need Cotchin and Edwards replacements most of all.

Something like Mitchell and 21 for 9 and 28 with Hawthorn taking some of Mitchell's salary in his remaining year. I think both clubs end up pretty happy there.

Or here's another element. It was reported a couple of months ago that Bolton and Richmond were very far apart on contract negotiations and there hasn't been any movement since. This is very pie in the sky because it was also reported that his manager expected him to eventually sign after the end of the season. If salary and wages become a real problem for the Tigers and Bolton, what would both clubs think of a deal for Mitchell AND Wingard for Bolton and a first round pick, plus change and salary considerations etc?

Trades with that many moving parts never happen but it makes Richmond stronger in their window and improves Hawthorns draft hand, age profile and midfield mix.

So what did Edmund report later this morning? He didn't mention the Hawks on the breakfast show. He did say there was one other club other than the ones mentioned (Carl, Rich) interested but that the club denied it.

what would both clubs think of a deal for Mitchell AND Wingard for Bolton and a first round pick, plus change and salary considerations etc?
I'd do it. A forward line and midfield that eventually sees Brockman and Bolton rotating between them. Yes, please.

Need to finish last and then just take Cerra in PSD or do an unders trade. Pay him the coin that makes it impossible to refuse. Better than continuing to overpay our rubbish list to meet the minimum salary cap.
Spot on man

Cerra feels a bit like congilio - a good but not absolutely elite player that gets bid up because he may be available (and prob above his real worth). I’d hope when we use our top 5 pick in draft get a better player than cerra.

I wouldn’t trade an early first for him.

Cogs was 26 and injury prone, coming off ACL and PCL injuries.

Cerra is 21 and fills a required need for us. With a solid decade of footy left in him at the very least.

Very different scenarios.

So what did Edmund report later this morning? He didn't mention the Hawks on the breakfast show. He did say there was one other club other than the ones mentioned (Carl, Rich) interested but that the club denied it.
His article on SEN names Hawthorn as the third club.

Cogs was 26 and injury prone, coming off ACL and PCL injuries.

Cerra is 21 and fills a required need for us. With a solid decade of footy left in him at the very least.

Very different scenarios.
Cerra > cogs. Still not worth trading our first this year or next. Better off getting creative and getting him another way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on man
you got to watch the whole getting players to nom for PSD. It can really work against you when doing future trades.
I think Hawthorn try to act in good faith in trading to keep good relationships with other clubs recruitment teams. You do the PSD trick with top line players and you quickly get a bad name and won't have much joy when you're next at the trade table with the team being shafted (or others taking note of how you conduct business). Its exactly why the PSD isn't used often for the big trades. Personally don't like the PSD and think any player, be it good, bad or average, should nominate for the ND.

you got to watch the whole getting players to nom for PSD. It can really work against you when doing future trades.
I think Hawthorn try to act in good faith in trading to keep good relationships with other clubs recruitment teams. You do the PSD trick with top line players and you quickly get a bad name and won't have much joy when you're next at the trade table with the team being shafted (or others taking note of how you conduct business). Its exactly why the PSD isn't used often for the big trades. Personally don't like the PSD and think any player, be it good, bad or average, should nominate for the ND.
Logically it makes sense that you wouldn't get far for long operating like that in such a small, closed-off market place. But then just look at Dodo at Essendon. He's been there for ages and it's hard to argue that his abrasive approach hasn't got them what they want.

Players are very reluctant to go PSD if they still have bonds at the club. It's kinda a shitty move.

I like it if we can pull off, but it happens so rarely, we can't rely on it unless Freo decides to go full Cochran him and aren't willing to negotiate.
It's not though, it's a legal viable option. Adelaide basically refused to talk to GWS last trade period and walked Hately in for nothing.

It's no different to pinching a free agent. Just think of it this way. Being last on the ladder means any out of contract player is technically a free agent to you first and foremost.

Logically it makes sense that you wouldn't get far for long operating like that in such a small, closed-off market place. But then just look at Dodo at Essendon. He's been there for ages and it's hard to argue that his abrasive approach hasn't got them what they want.

Probably not a bad call. We've been overly generous at times and it hasn't got us much.

It's not though, it's a legal viable option. Adelaide basically refused to talk to GWS last trade period and walked Hately in for nothing.

It's no different to pinching a free agent. Just think of it this way. Being last on the ladder means any out of contract player is technically a free agent to you first and foremost.
As I said, if we can do it, sure. But players are reluctant to do it most of the time, as it *s over their old club. Even with FA they get a compo. Happy to push for it - we need to be bold! But that chances of pulling it off on a big-name recruit are slim....

If we had Pick 1, why not just walk Cerra to the PSD and keep Pick 1?

At very least, use the PSD as leverage and make Freo accept a 2nd rounder
Its funny how quickly everyone forgets that we traded Brad Hill to them for unders. Hill at that point was a triple premiership player who then went on to win Freo's B&F his first year. Those c**ts owe us. Time to pay up IMO.

Titch ( Perth lad ) and 22 for Cerra
finnish last get Horne
Matt Crouch as a FA

out
Titch
in
cerra
crouch
Horne

and pick 21

i need a cigarette!

Can we get Steve Boxall as bench coach or runner.
Could you imagine him after a premiership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back