Strategy 2021 Draft and Hypothetical pick trade proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol seriously can we just have a ban on posting things ol clickbait Kornes says…

none of it is interesting and it’s all designed to just stir people up.

Hodgey wants a new rule! Hodgey gets a new rule.

No more clickbait s**t from Cornes in here.

Also:
Can we also threadban Rendell quotes. The bloke is senile.
Done ✔️

I would hope this is untrue.

Because if it is, that's some of the worst prima-donna sh*t I've ever heard, and other clubs would be wary of someone with such a sense of entitlement.

This may come off as mud slinging, but could be something to do with bulldogs culture too. They've had multiple indigenous players consider them as a destination recently, only for them to not go there. He's the lone indigenous kid on that list. Beveridge plays favourites, is quite bipolar with his team management.

There's a number of reasons he might be upset.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Narkle was only on a one year contract extension wasn't he? Would be an amazing addition to our midfield IMO.
I wanted him last year and really want him this year.

Maybe i am overrating him but i think he has some pretty special talent.

brad sue well

Team Captain
Feb 11, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think there are about a third (?) of our first 22 players who we can say will be certain to be in our next finals campaign and so we need to find players in most positions. I think we have a gap in our 3-4 year players that needs filling.

Two 3-4 year players who are in good clubs and have shown a bit I think are worth looking at are Ed Richards and Riley Collier-Dawkins. Where they play I am not too fussed but they look like they apply themselves well and will set an example at the least and at best, play nice roles as we rise.

Thoughts...

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
I think there are about a third (?) of our first 22 players who we can say will be certain to be in our next finals campaign and so we need to find players in most positions. I think we have a gap in our 3-4 year players that needs filling.

Two 3-4 year players who are in good clubs and have shown a bit I think are worth looking at are Ed Richards and Riley Collier-Dawkins. Where they play I am not too fussed but they look like they apply themselves well and will set an example at the least and at best, play nice roles as we rise.

Thoughts...

They are the type of player we should chase if we are looking for ready made footballers that's for sure. Young and full of potential, filling immediate holes in our list.

Narkle, Pat Lipinski, Jarrod Brander, Jordan Clark, Adam Cerra, Sam Petrevski-Seaton are others mentioned in these threads also.

Time will tell which way the club approaches trade period though.

Fiorini would be good and cheap option. His market value would be very similar to Scrimshaw and likely to be traded for a third round pick. He’s been available for selection the last two seasons and Gold Coast have chosen not to play him.

Games: 52
Goals: 18

Career average: 22.4 disposals - 4.6 marks - 4 tackles - 2.9 clearances - 2.8 inside 50s

Feb 17, 2021
Buried In Balquhidder
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I appreciate you are coming from a good place. A place where wingard turns into Bailey Smith and other heavily weighted Hawthorn transactions. Sounds like a wonderful place. Would be great if it could happen.
Unfortunately it is just not realistic so it got pot shotted. Put something up that is a reasonable suggestion that another club might take seriously then people won't laugh.
You are in the right place my friend.

I'm going to have to disagree there sorry - the Bulldogs are totally stacked in the midfield and while Cody Weightman has the attributes to be a handy player he's no Chad Wingard.

They'd barely miss Smith and Wingard is exactly the kind of player that'd even further improve the premiership credentials and it'd surely be a WIN-WIN scenario.

20210610_173320.jpg 20210610_173306.jpg 20210610_173231.jpg

There's also history there with the Bulldogs also chasing Chad when he left Port Adelaide and no doubting they'd still be interested.

As for the other trades, what's that unreasonable about them?

Obviously you're one of the sheep that believe that Tom Mitchell is worth nothing more than a half eaten bag of chips and a coke.

The bloke is a dead set beast playing in what has unfortunately become a mediocre side.

If Carlton were happy to relinquish Pick 8 for a handy half back flanker then surely they'd jump at the opportunity to obtain a 2x AA , 2x BNF, Brownlow Medal winning, all time AFL leading possession winning machine?

How quickly people forget and turn on our players.

The rest of those hypotheticals were for players basically not getting a game but would easily add to our squad, while coming at a pittance trade wise.

We've had a crack and topping up and keeping our window open (which I've never been opposed to) however it unfortunately didn't work.

We can either rebuild our battling squad by adding 1-2 draftees a year or let go 2-4 players of worth that would fast track that rebuild exponentially.

Please, feel free to do better if you think you can 😁

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Fiorini would be good and cheap option. His market value would be very similar to Scrimshaw and likely to be traded for a third round pick. He’s been available for selection the last two seasons and Gold Coast have chosen not to play him.

Games: 52
Goals: 18

Career average: 22.4 disposals - 4.6 marks - 4 tackles - 2.9 clearances - 2.8 inside 50s
Eh he is an improvement on what we have i think but he is pretty similar.

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We can either rebuild our battling squad by adding 1-2 draftees a year or let go 2-4 players of worth that would fast track that rebuild exponentially.

And what happens if we trade all of Mitchell, O'Meara & Wingard in one go and those draftees we trade don't develop? Contrary to popular belief players are capable of playing beyond 30.

We clearly need to rebuild but you don't trade every good player you have for speculative talent to do so. That leaves you in the position that Carlton, Melbourne & Brisbane were in for the last 15 years - relying on kids that could be anything. The latter two are only getting good now.

I'd expect one of the three to be traded from that group if the price is right. Hopefully we get close to the value you suggested in your hypotheticals. But getting rid of them all in one swoop will likely have the opposite effect of fast tracking our rebuild.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Entitled or not, i'd swap the pick for JUH in a heatbeat. I'm sure it's all BS though. Dogs wouldn't let Dunkley go. They're not letting a pick 1 likened to Buddy go.

Feb 17, 2021
Buried In Balquhidder
AFL Club
Hawthorn
And what happens if we trade all of Mitchell, O'Meara & Wingard in one go and those draftees we trade don't develop? Contrary to popular belief players are capable of playing beyond 30.

We clearly need to rebuild but you don't trade every good player you have for speculative talent to do so. That leaves you in the position that Carlton, Melbourne & Brisbane were in for the last 15 years - relying on kids that could be anything. The latter two are only getting good now.

I'd expect one of the three to be traded from that group if the price is right. Hopefully we get close to the value you suggested in your hypotheticals. But getting rid of them all in one swoop will likely have the opposite effect of fast tracking our rebuild.

Generally speaking I'd totally agree with you however as it stands we're in no man's land with them on our list already.

I don't think it's possible for us to become any worse than what we're currently witnessing - although not entirely impossible.

We have taken this path before and it paid off monumentally.

Will it work again? Who knows, but what we're doing at the moment isn't either 🤔

BurnaHawks

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Generally speaking I'd totally agree with you however as it stands we're in no man's land with them on our list already.

I don't think it's possible for us to become any worse than what we're currently witnessing - although not entirely impossible.

We have taken this path before and it paid off monumentally.

Will it work again? Who knows, but what we're doing at the moment isn't either 🤔
Agreed, i'd prefer to take the change now. Trade those bloke now while they still have trade value. Our history on picking cherries on late picks has been prretty good given the shocking picks we've had in recent years.

Gaston

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2014
in the outer with anticipation
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I wanted him last year and really want him this year.

Maybe i am overrating him but i think he has some pretty special talent.
Was stated on the news that Narkle and his management will assess his future based on selection process.
If he is in and out of the side (as currently is) he is outta there (insinuation to that effect).

Happy to join the conga line for Narkle, has a little bit of x-factor.

Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm going to have to disagree there sorry - the Bulldogs are totally stacked in the midfield and while Cody Weightman has the attributes to be a handy player he's no Chad Wingard.

They'd barely miss Smith and Wingard is exactly the kind of player that'd even further improve the premiership credentials and it'd surely be a WIN-WIN scenario.

View attachment 1151651View attachment 1151652View attachment 1151653

There's also history there with the Bulldogs also chasing Chad when he left Port Adelaide and no doubting they'd still be interested.

Obviously you're one of the sheep that believe that Tom Mitchell is worth nothing more than a half eaten bag of chips and a coke.

The bloke is a dead set beast playing in what has unfortunately become a mediocre side.

If Carlton were happy to relinquish Pick 8 for a handy half back flanker then surely they'd jump at the opportunity to obtain a 2x AA , 2x BNF, Brownlow Medal winning, all time AFL leading possession winning machine?

The rest of those hypotheticals were for players basically not getting a game but would easily add to our squad, while coming at a pittance trade wise.

We've had a crack and topping up and keeping our window open (which I've never been opposed to) however it unfortunately didn't work.

Meh

I'll say this. You don't get better by trading 3 to 4 senior players in your top 10 performers for speculative draft picks. That the quickest path to mediocrity. Look how much draft picks have helped carltank!

View attachment 1151651View attachment 1151652View attachment 1151653

Bailey Smith for Chad Wingard is idiotic.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Meh

I'll say this. You don't get better by trading 3 to 4 senior players in your top 10 performers for speculative draft picks. That the quickest path to mediocrity. Look how much draft picks have helped carltank!
Our recruiting is never Carlton like, give us an inch and we would take a mile. If we do decide to jettison some senior players it’s because we have earmarked some key kids, and that would be bloody exciting.

Also think Carltons drafts were in quite mediocre times for talent but they still made a meal of it.

Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Our recruiting is never Carlton like, give us an inch and we would take a mile. If we do decide to jettison some senior players it’s because we have earmarked some key kids, and that would be bloody exciting.

Also think Carltons drafts were in quite mediocre times for talent but they still made a meal of it.
Brisbane traded beams and got great value. Who else did they trade out?
Melbourne traded? Cant think of players but they leveraged their future selections very nicely.
Bulldogs traded? No one off the top of my head?

The suns for example traded all their good players for picks. That ain't going so well

Please more informed historian correct me about who traded who leading up to these periods of relative success

Feb 17, 2021
Buried In Balquhidder
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bailey Smith for Chad Wingard is idiotic.

Possibly, however bringing across Chad Wingard in exchange for a 1st, 2nd and Ryan Burton when it was blatantly obvious for all to see our team was in a rapid decline is probably more idiotic though.

We need to do something drastic because we're dwindling even with those players that you're so keen to hold onto remaining in the team anyway.

Once again the Bulldogs are more than stacked in the middle of the ground but a player the calibre of Wingard is the one thing they're missing besides an elite ruckman.

Guaranteed that if Chad was in the Bulldogs line-up he'd be the player that we we're hoping he'd be for us 😁

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Brisbane traded beams and got great value. Who else did they trade out?
Melbourne traded? Cant think of players but they leveraged their future selections very nicely.
Bulldogs traded? No one off the top of my head?

The suns for example traded all their good players for picks. That ain't going so well

Please more informed historian correct me about who traded who leading up to these periods of relative success
I really think this is our year to try maximise any value from trade or draft that we can, core of the team will then be younger but just some caution with keeping the right senior players around.

A large contract for a free agent would go okay to

Feb 17, 2021
Buried In Balquhidder
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agreed, i'd prefer to take the change now. Trade those bloke now while they still have trade value. Our history on picking cherries on late picks has been prretty good given the shocking picks we've had in recent years.

Exactly and while in the past I'd have been dead against it obviously we're struggling with them anyway.

We just recently got pantsed by the biggest joke in the competition who are themselves engaged in a full rebuild.

That was probably the turning point for me 😪

hardway

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2003
Northern suburb
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Possibly, however bringing across Chad Wingard in exchange for a 1st, 2nd and Ryan Burton when it was blatantly obvious for all to see our team was in a rapid decline is probably more idiotic though.

We need to do something drastic because we're dwindling even with those players that you're so keen to hold onto remaining in the team anyway.

Once again the Bulldogs are more than stacked in the middle of the ground but a player the calibre of Wingard is the one thing they're missing besides an elite ruckman.

Guaranteed that if Chad was in the Bulldogs line-up he'd be the player that we we're hoping he'd be for us 😁
The crazy part is the price we paid. Port wanted him gone and crazy Santa Wright paid everything we had and more. 1st pick on its own was sufficient for a player being kicked to the curb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back