Strategy 2021 Draft and Hypothetical pick trade proposals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol seriously can we just have a ban on posting things ol clickbait Kornes says…

none of it is interesting and it’s all designed to just stir people up.

Hodgey wants a new rule! Hodgey gets a new rule.

No more clickbait s**t from Cornes in here.

Also:
Can we also threadban Rendell quotes. The bloke is senile.
Done ✔️

Its a very interesting (kinda business/capitalist approach) - It really works with Mitchell Scenario as he was a very good player when he got to us and if we are challenging for a flag he's perfect and now elite but since we aren't challenging so we trade him for a younger model (again like a businessman trading his wife for the younger model his car for a newer model)

Im a fan of the 5-6 good picks over two years and have a cohort playing together - a la Bud, Rough, Lewis and Birch - that worked treat
Yep. That’s the way I’m thinking.

Our issue was that we bought a number of players at their peak value (JOM and Chad). So there wasn’t any real way to go but down.

I’ve also just been reading another thread about the 2018 draft being second to 2001. Makes me think it was a really bad time to buy high (not that we could have known).

Its more about what Tom is worth to the buyer .
If your Richmond and you've got Dusty in his prime for 3-4 years you throw everything at getting another flag if the opportunity is there.

If they come knocking , I'm asking for 7 and 16 (throw in some salary cap relief too ). They knock that back ask for 7 and their 3rd pick.

I would want 7 and something else and I think we could get it.
It may well win them another flag .
We wear some short term pain but get a raft of picks to launch with .

Its a very interesting (kinda business/capitalist approach) - It really works with Mitchell Scenario as he was a very good player when he got to us and if we are challenging for a flag he's perfect and now elite but since we aren't challenging so we trade him for a younger model (again like a businessman trading his wife for the younger model his car for a newer model)

Im a fan of the 5-6 good picks over two years and have a cohort playing together - a la Bud, Rough, Lewis and Birch - that worked treat

old guys creaking to get into younger models sports cars is not a good look

but the group coming through together…somehow Thant seems to have value…but with the 2004 recruits, Clarko/the club didn’t slash older players as much as myth suggests…look at the 2008 premiership team

and it was Thomson, Hay etc whic got traded, not Crawford…who took a while to get used to Clarko.

just thinking, Thomson was traded for pick 10 (and 36) which was packaged up to get pick 7 and Jordy.

where was Thomson drafted? Pick # 86. Hmmm

Last edited:
Picks 10-20 bring in players who average less than 100 games for the club, regardless of quality of those games.
Tommy will very likely play at least another 100 plus games and he will probably get brownlow votes in half of them.
Better than Tim Kelly , Saad, JyevCaldwell ,Jeremy Cameron.
I am flabbergasted that anyone would trade him for less than 2 top ten picks.
I am tired of us playing nice at trades and getting bad deals : Brad hill, Lewis, Mitchell, Chad , jaeger. If we let Tom go for anything other than top price it will be terrible.

Has there been any updates on Max Lynch. Like the idea of him Reeves future partnership.

Are there any whispers out there on links to other players like Jarrod Brander or Charlie Constable.

The position we are in as a club it makes sense to have a crack at some younger players from other clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Horne-Francis is going to be an absolute beauty. I can't see North passing up a talent like him, sadly. But in the spirit of a hypothetical thread...

North are actually stacked with young midfielders; Simpkin, Thomas, LDU, Powell, Phillips and even Stephenson.

Hawthorn send pick 5 and pick 21 to North.

North send pick 1 and pick 38 to Hawthorn.

Hawks take Horne-Francis at pick 1 and still have picks 24 and 38.

North could land the best defender in Gibcus with pick 5 (7) and have picks 20 and 21 to trade up or take two quality prospects.

Wishful thinking, I know.

If swans get a first rounder for Dawson we should be shopping howe and worpel to them hard. They don’t need more kids. If Jai and Nash come on, even if Mitchell goes worpel will struggle for big midfield minutes. He’d do well at swans.

It would be pick 16.

Are saying Worpel AND Howe for pick 16?

Essentially saying Dawson is worth both Howe and Worpel?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If swans get a first rounder for Dawson we should be shopping howe and worpel to them hard. They don’t need more kids. If Jai and Nash come on, even if Mitchell goes worpel will struggle for big midfield minutes. He’d do well at swans.

I think Worpel took a couple steps back to take a step forward this year. Worked on his second position and stepped up to have a more positive impact after the bye.

He can grow with and lead the young group for the next 10 years. I don't think Hawthorn should look to move him for anything less than a top 2 pick or equivalent, which no club would do.

He can always slip back into his 2019 role when we need him to. With the young guys it's a good mix with Jai and Nash more defensive.

21 and 24 and our future first for Bailey Smith?

Horne-Francis is going to be an absolute beauty. I can't see North passing up a talent like him, sadly. But in the spirit of a hypothetical thread...

North are actually stacked with young midfielders; Simpkin, Thomas, LDU, Powell, Phillips and even Stephenson.

Hawthorn send pick 5 and pick 21 to North.

North send pick 1 and pick 38 to Hawthorn.

Hawks take Horne-Francis at pick 1 and still have picks 24 and 38.

North could land the best defender in Gibcus with pick 5 (7) and have picks 20 and 21 to trade up or take two quality prospects.

Wishful thinking, I know.
I think if hawks had the pick of JHF or Callaghan they take Callaghan.
It seems like North are locked in on JHF so we’re better of targeting GWS or GCS for a pick upgrade in an effort to take Callaghan.
Both GCS and GWS are suited to Gibcus or even Amiss as the best forward (excluding Darcy). Something like pick 5 and Shiels
For pick 3. Suns might offer additional years as security. Better still we get GWS pick but that might cost one of our promising forwards along with pick 5 given their list strengths and weaknesses.
I prefer Callaghan over JHF. A lot of love because Horne Francis has Dusty like highlights but the lack of consistent impact has me liking Callaghan’s Bont level potential.

It would be pick 16.

Are saying Worpel AND Howe for pick 16?

Essentially saying Dawson is worth both Howe and Worpel?
No. But two guys that swans may have interest in that could give us one or both of those firsts as part of a trade.

Eg Worpel and howe for 12/16 and 31?
Or 12 and 16 for howe, worpel and 24
Or part of a pick upgrade to get 12 - eg howe and one of our 2nd?

I know worpel has his fans but he’s potential surplus to our needs IF (and it’s a if) Nash and Jai come on. And if we get some elite mids in draft his spot again comes into question if we want a better balanced midfield and prioritise kicking.

21 and 24 and our future first for Bailey Smith?
I think he'd be crazy to leave the dogs for Hawthorn right now.

The trade value is probably about right (huge).

Hawthorn need picks and Dogs need players for where their lists are at. Maybe future 1st, Gunston and Ceglar for Smith as the base of the trade would be more appealing to both clubs if it ever came to it?

No. But two guys that swans may have interest in that could give us one or both of those firsts as part of a trade.

Eg Worpel and howe for 12/16 and 31?
Or 12 and 16 for howe, worpel and 24
Or part of a pick upgrade to get 12 - eg howe and one of our 2nd?

I know worpel has his fans but he’s potential surplus to our needs IF (and it’s a if) Nash and Jai come on. And if we get some elite mids in draft his spot again comes into question if we want a better balanced midfield and prioritise kicking.

I believe Worpel will be our next captain personally.

A 19 year old Best and Fairest winner who had a strong back half of the season should be retained for now. Especially for speculative draft picks. I'd only be considering Worps in a trade if it directly fixed our deficiencies. For example, if it helped us get Cerra.

Interesting article. I am a big Dan Houston fan. Played a fair bit of midfield minutes last season and is an elite kick. I'd love him in brown and gold.

I personally believe our best 22 come round 1 next will be awesome. They’ve had time to gel these last couple of hub years and I’m excited to see what they can do in 2022.
I’m against trading any roll up 22 talent unless it’s well overs… but in order to improve our draft I’m up for trading decent fringe players and getting picks through the door.

TOB
Shiels
Howe

Gold Coast interested in those 3 for their pick ? 😂
Or get low picks for them and bundle them for one good pick.

best case low risk scenario.

GIVE OUR BEST 22 A CHANCE NEXT YEAR

Awesome is a pretty bold call, most would associate the word awesome with being a top 4 standard side.

Worpel is going no where, seen as our future and potential captain. Is very close to the coach. An is the the leader of our youth.

I think a number of factors need to be considered.
1. Where would Tom likely want to go if he was ok with moving? To a contender? Yes. Richmond are contender with a healthy list.

2. What would Richmond be open to giving up? This is debatable, but they’ve already made commentary in the media that they will be hitting the draft, so they are playing the game regarding what they are willing to trade.

3. Both clubs will play the “we’re not trading Tom” or “pick 7 is off the table”, but there’s a big chance that a compromise will be met, as I think Richmond will want to get another mid in, and Hawthorn will want to get another 1st round pick in.

So that’s how I can see it playing out. Let’s hope more suitors come knocking.

Making big demands(Pick 7) would still be the first step, but we’re most likely going to accept less than what people on here see as best case scenario, as Richmond would clearly want to keep Pick 7.

*I don’t think Cameron and that situation is at all comparable. A key forward free agent who’s bid was matched.

If we get pick 7 from Richmond, I can see the trade being Tom, picks 21 and 24 for picks 7 and 28. Or probably something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back