Training 2021 Practice Matches

Remove this Banner Ad

He would’ve been drafted if he had the slightest bit of leg speed, way too slow for a medium forward. Captained Calder cannons to a premiership and kicked 4-5 on gf day if I recall correctly.
Was in our leadership group for his last couple of seasons here. Always liked him

Okay, last Praccy tomorrow against Frankston. Don't be fooled though, these guys will probably end up mid table this year. I think Zaka will be the injury sub, but if he doesn't get on he can still play this:

FB: Martin Gleeson - Zach Reid - Cody Brand
HB: Ned Cahill - Patrick Ambrose - Tom Hird
MF: David Zaharakis* - Joe Atley - Tom Cutler
HF: Sam Conforty - Josh Eyre - Lachlan Johnson
FF: Danny Younan - Sam McLarty - Andrew Phillips
OB: Nick Bryan - Kyle Dunkley - Jack Evans
IC: Charlie Byrne - James Harrold - Max Clohesy - Josh Kemp etc

Conforty, Evans and Clohesy are 19 year olds from Calder/Bendigo. It's an okay side, but just okay

We won 96-70. Apparently Phillips, Bryan, Zaka, Cahill, Cutler and Reid impressed. I'll put a match thread for Preston out on Monday, hopefully the Essendon website will have the updated squad up by then.

Ati Tude

Club Legend
Mar 20, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
We won 96-70. Apparently Phillips, Bryan, Zaka, Cahill, Cutler and Reid impressed. I'll put a match thread for Preston out on Monday, hopefully the Essendon website will have the updated squad up by then.
Anyone know who kicked goals?

from BOMBERBLITZ:

With the inclusions of all our emergencies including Zaka, Phillips and Ambrose returning and Atley and Dunkleys first game… it was a much stronger VFL looking side.

You never really felt the boys were going to lose this game as it was unfolding…but it was a bit scrappy still. Number of first game back players showing some early rust.

Lets go through some key names

Phillips: i thought close to BOG. I was surprised with how well he moved and looked. Kicked a goal, rucked ok and worked hard around the ground. Played the whole game so fitness did not seem an issue. He may be straight in next week

Bryan: really impressive first half. Got a few hard knocks in 2nd half. I noticed after the game he had some strapping around his calf and walked a bit gingerly. Hope its just a few little knocks only.

Zaharakis: played like he was a grade above tbh. Looked solid the whole game and got plenty of it. If there are any changes to mids or medium forwards… i think he is in.

Ambrose: played the first half only. Had three shots on goals(kicked one) and for a first game in 14 months… was as good as you could hope for. Played forward the whole match. He just hits contests hard. Love it. Will only get better

Reid: ok moment of honesty. He is not AFL seniors ready yet. It comes down to one key issue. With high kicks coming in he can easily be worked under the ball or moved aside. Thats all it is. Everything else is great. Would have had 20 disposals tonight for 100% efficiency … will say one was off the side but hit a team mate on the chest. He was smooth and classy all night… but as a key position… he just needs to be in a gym urgently. Future is bright

Brand: sadly had a serious ankle injury - was on crutches.

L. Johnson. Lachlans best game so far. Looked lively up forward and moving much better. Has a great pressure attitude. Good to see some progress

Hird: quiet game from Hirdy tonight. Still did some nice things however. Kicking needs a bit of work still . Early days

Eyre: very weird game from Josh. Hard to describe it but he kept on worrying he was injured about 5 times. Had long stints on the bench and then came on fine every time. He struggled to get any rhythm going and with Ambrose and Phillips forward often… it made it hard to find space. Still kicked a nice goal on the lead. Did drop a few he should take

Cahill: was a much better Ned Cahill tonight. Had around 20 disposals and was sharp with his skills and decision making. You can see there is a player there.

Gleeson: very solid tonight and played help defense a number of times to perfection. I actually think he is in ok form tbh

Cutler: probably had 30 touches tonight. Not all were great tbh but it was a better outing and his energy was good. A lot if link up ball usage.

It was pretty chilli at The Hangar. With only a very small amount of people watching… it had a cool intimacy about it. You could gear every word of 3/4 address. Was a real focus on team defense from Leigh Tudor.

Overall a solid win and good momentum into round one.

from BOMBERBLITZ:

Eyre: very weird game from Josh. Hard to describe it but he kept on worrying he was injured about 5 times. Had long stints on the bench and then came on fine every time. He struggled to get any rhythm going and with Ambrose and Phillips forward often… it made it hard to find space. Still kicked a nice goal on the lead. Did drop a few he should take

According to the club he kept having issues with cramps which was why he was coming off the ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Back