Training 2021 Pre-Season Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

So what do you propose we do when our next AA FA comes out of contract at 27 and is being offered 5 and 6 year deals elsewhere?

If Isak Rankine is a 26yo FA and wants a 6 year deal, do you pay up to get him here?

If you don't, you may as well acknowledge that any player on your list above 27 won't be in your top 10 players.
I don’t reckon too many players are better when older than 27 than they are below it. Despite popular belief.

How much weight have you put on his latest injury? Would you have made this comment this time last week?

Huge potential but sadly looks like it may be ruined by injury which is the nature of the game.
I forgot he was on the list. 😜

Was at the game, Borlase was the standout defender by mile. Doesn't look any shorter from the stands than Fisher or Worrell. He just knows how to play the game and agility is deceptive...has a bit of John Klug about him. Pedlar was also good and will be a full time first team player soon... .a natural mid. Newchurch will be a gun too .....kicked one of the nicest goals u will c taking four bounces from the midfield and kicking a goal on the run. No one can catch him and can't believe we nearly let him slip to another team. We were thin in the midfield today.....no Ronin O'Connor and Berry promoted. Concerned about Hately and McAsey though....they just don't have any weapons and today's game requires run which is not their strength. Gollant was also impressive and reminds me somewhat of our famous defect to Hawthorn.

Shaun Burgoyne was almost as good at 37.

Dustin Martin, Max Gawn, Trent Cotchin, Lachie Neale, Gary Ablett...
Some absolute scrubbers there. 😜
I’d run out of pixels if I named all the ones that were better before 27 than they were after

How many 'older guys from SA who are zero chance of wanting to leave' to we have on our list that are approaching FA age?

Smith - signed for 3 years at 28
Laird
Lynch - signed for 3 years at 28
Brown - signed for 3 years at 27

Of all those, Laird is the most highly decorated and clearly that's his market value.

Wait longer, and then still have to offer 5 years at higher rate.

don’t ignore positional value

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went to the trial today at Norwood . Hately and MCAsey were rubbish . I quite liked the game of Borlase . He is ahead of MCAsey already as he reads the ball better and shows more agility. Worrell is not your typical defender he runs all over the ground which I like for a tall guy .
Newchurch I like the look of as well as Pedler although Pedler looks quite small on the field . Would be good if he was just that few cm’s taller .

Was at the game, Borlase was the standout defender by mile. Doesn't look any shorter from the stands than Fisher or Worrell. He just knows how to play the game and agility is deceptive...has a bit of John Klug about him. Pedlar was also good and will be a full time first team player soon... .a natural mid. Newchurch will be a gun too .....kicked one of the nicest goals u will c taking four bounces from the midfield and kicking a goal on the run. No one can catch him and can't believe we nearly let him slip to another team. We were thin in the midfield today.....no Ronin O'Connor and Berry promoted. Concerned about Hately and McAsey though....they just don't have any weapons and today's game requires run which is not their strength. Gollant was also impressive and reminds me somewhat of our famous defect to Hawthorn.

it’s always good to get corroboration 😂😂

Put the heat on early.
Yep, spots up for grabs. And Berry deserves a go.

I'm not worried about Hately in the slightest though. This was a SANFL trial. He's already shown that he can perform at SANFL level before he was even drafted.

Just learn the new game plan and he'll be good to go.

These are only trial games. Great to have the competition for spots.

Berg's performance puts pressure on Fog tomorrow.

I also like how we are having talls coming through in the rebuild, as they take longer. Worrell will be a gun and I think that besides just being a player, he offers a versatility that is gold. In today's game that's worth heaps. Can play back, forward, even mid on the wing. Get him in.

Do we know far off Talia is? Back line going into this season looking pretty green.

He'll be rushed back completely underdone. Paying the price for not going into surgery last year when we had Hartigan to shaperone both McAsey and Butts through the final handful of rounds. Some of our typical forward thinking on display.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back