Training 2021 Pre-Season Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Both Jack Watts, and Justin Koschitzke were played R1 after their Draft Year, for no other reason than Membership Drives ....... clearly were not ready & their careers impacted

Now that's all arguable .....but what's the rush, are we likely to be a Top 8 contender this year ......hardly
This is just false.

Koschitzke won the Rising Star in his first year - beating out a field that included Daniel Kerr, Cameron Ling, Bob Murphy and Corey Enright.

Watts (in)famously debuted halfway through his first year on the Queen’s Birthday.

I have this theory - which is not backed up by any data whatsoever so don’t bother asking me for any - that clubs ruin more kids in training than they do in playing them too soon.

My second and far more provable theory is that most of the reasons given for why a naturally talented kid is being held back, come from people who themselves are not naturally talented.

Now I have to stop writing, because I am having Neil Craig flashbacks.
First bit is certainly possible, particularly those who don't play senior footy before being drafted.

The step up from juniors to AFL level training is quite steep as you'd expect, and whilst clubs do manage training loads of players there's always a chance of burn out.

This is just false.

Koschitzke won the Rising Star in his first year - beating out a field that included Daniel Kerr, Cameron Ling, Bob Murphy and Corey Enright.

Watts (in)famously debuted halfway through his first year on the Queen’s Birthday.

I remember there being questions whether no.1 pick Nick Riewoldt (who was injured and sat out his first year) would feel under even more pressure give Kosi’s fantastic first year.

Looks like David Burtenshaw has been given a part time gig as "Club Historian".

Can't we just forget the last 20 years ever happened, with the exception of the AFLW flags and the AFLX triumph?

Doesn't need to be.
I'd agree with that, the players would listen to him regardless of title.

Hard to believe a small number of posters here think he's a selfish player because he didn't go in for knee surgery early enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reasonable. I'd rather Tex playing for a new deal and not Tex on a victory lap until he's inevitably put out to pasture.

You'd think with us putting this out to the media and not quietly resigning him, we're umming and arring about another year.

Why wouldn't Daniel Talia want to be in the leadership group?

Both Jack Watts, and Justin Koschitzke were played R1 after their Draft Year, for no other reason than Membership Drives ....... clearly were not ready & their careers impacted

Now that's all arguable .....but what's the rush, are we likely to be a Top 8 contender this year ......hardly

Thought Jack watts was famously held back for a fair while. I doubt he played round 1 after being drafted.

Daniel Talia on with Kymbo and Rooch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back