Training 2021 Pre-Season Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Using a top 10 pick on a key position defender is generally a waste of resources. I was dead set against drafting McAsey unless we thought he was a forward. So in my mind we already burned that pick the moment we decided he was a defender.

Drafting a KPD in the back half of the first round is less of a waste, but still not ideal.

If you look at premiership teams over the last decade, how many had a key position defender they drafted in the first 10 picks? Most of them are rookies or later picks
Talia, Davis, Moore, Hurley, Haynes, Lever, Weitering and Naughton all top 12 or so picks and pretty decent players.

Not to mention Jack Lukosius who is being played as a key defender

If you look at premiership teams over the last decade, how many had a key position defender they drafted in the first 10 picks? Most of them are rookies or later picks
Of course they are...most of their team was selected outside the top 10!

Richmond - Rance (18), Balta (25)
Geelong - Taylor (17), Longergan (23)
Hawthorn - Gibson (23), Frawley (12)

Adelaide had Talia and Lever (both first rounders) in our 2017 GF team.

Let's not pretend they were all rookies in their backlines.

Of course they are...most of their team was selected outside the top 10!

Richmond - Rance (18), Balta (25)
Geelong - Taylor (17), Longergan (23)
Hawthorn - Gibson (23), Frawley (12)

Adelaide had Talia and Lever (both first rounders) in our 2017 GF team.

Let's not pretend they were all rookies in their backlines.

Frawley and Gibson were both trades/FA which didn't cost them anywhere near those picks

And none of the players listed including Talia and Lever were top 10 picks

If this is all true (about him leaving) then you can pretty much guarantee we will banish him to the SANFL as soon as we can (once we have Talia back). Nicks wants people fully committed. If he's not committed, then he will be on the outer big time.

Also for all of those people thinking we will get very little value for him, I think you are underestimating our negotiating ability. Just wait until we play our bluff. We are really good at it.

Agreed. I think our initial bluff will be that we are certain to redraft him with the first pick in the PSD, so you'd better give us a good trade if you want him. ;)

I never really rated him and was glad when we delisted him.

He does have a point regarding us shunting young mids to graveyard half forward roles. Knight, Poholke, Galluci now Jones, Mchenry, Schoenberg.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wonder how may midfielders we need to delist before we realise that they are midfielders and not HFF'ers, the list just keeps growing

I wonder how may midfielders we need to delist before we realise that they are midfielders and not HFF'ers, the list just keeps growing
You do have to have flexibility in your game though. Tanner Bruhn is a midfielder, played his first game for GWS forward and kicked 4 goals.

Well maybe we can put Matt Crouch on the HFF and see how he goes, you know, all australian and all
And this is the problem.

Our mids DONT generally have that flexibility. Sloane can play elsewhere but we choose not to. Keays is a good forward, we don't often play him here and of course Laird we know.

And this is the problem.

Our mids DONT generally have that flexibility. Sloane can play elsewhere but we choose not to. Keays is a good forward, we don't often play him here and of course Laird we know.

Thats it.
We wont put our senior experienced players in that position but we expect our 5 gamer mids to perform in that HFF role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I preferred to keep pick 4 and get Lachie Ash. Still question marks over whether he could go into the midfield full time, but he was the type we need.

It's hard to argue against going for an elite kpd prospect though given our defence is now in dire straits. His draft year was quality and he looked like someone who would transition into the Talia type kpd quote easily.

On another note, whatever the formula is to work out how likely it is that players would want to leave, we're using the opposite.

I preferred to keep pick 4 and get Lachie Ash. Still question marks over whether he could go into the midfield full time, but he was the type we need.

It's hard to argue against going for an elite kpd prospect though given our defence is now in dire straits. His draft year was quality and he looked like someone who would transition into the Talia type kpd quote easily.

On another note, whatever the formula is to work out how likely it is that players would want to leave, we're using the opposite.
We needed to go for Ash or the best mid available at pick 4 in 2019. Last year we should have taken Heath Chapman at pick 11 who will be a much better player than McAsey imo. Ogilvie should be done.

If we hadn’t dropped pick 4 to pick 6, we wouldn’t have Luke Pedlar.
The initial trade was a good one we just picked the wrong player, I think I was wanting either Serong, Young or Flanders.

Didnt carlton offer to trade for pick 6 as well but we wanted another first round pick as well?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back