Training 2021 Pre-Season Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam seems to have settled in real well and loving Adelaide and what it offers lifestyle wise.

After arriving at West Lakes via pick No.28 in the 2020 AFL Draft, young midfielder Sam Berry moved in with senior leader Matt Crouch for his first fortnight in South Australia.
Berry described the experience as unreal, admitting he took a lot away from shadowing the All Australian and Club Champion midfielder.
“To see the habits that make him so elite was really cool,” Berry told AFC Media.
The 18-year-old also observed Crouch’s passion for a specific beverage.
“His addiction with sparkling water was interesting,” Berry said.
“I guess instead of the average Joe drinking a soft drink or something…”
Berry said he has taken a lot from the likes of Crouch and Rory Sloane, who he has been regularly matched up with at training drills.
“Every time you’re there, you just learn so much from someone like Sloaney,” Berry said.
“There’s a lot of other players as well, you can understand why they are so elite.”

I don't expect him to do a Keays, but he can fill a variety of roles.

A spoon winning list needs a couple of hardened bodies with a few preseasons under the belt. We had a crack with Keays and Crocker and found a player and jettisoned the other. We should leave a couple of spots open every year for this roll of the dice. That's why giving Mackay another year irks me so much, not just the potential for a Keays type delistee, but also a Vic kid or 2 that show they were draft worthy.

A spoon winning list needs a couple of hardened bodies with a few preseasons under the belt. We had a crack with Keays and Crocker and found a player and jettisoned the other. We should leave a couple of spots open every year for this roll of the dice. That's why giving Mackay another year irks me so much, not just the potential for a Keays type delistee, but also a Vic kid or 2 that show they were draft worthy.

MacKay is a player with multiple pre-seasons under his belt. You can see why we kept MacKay just by looking at how shallow the draft was this year. People talk about list spots like they are a free hit at a player. They arent. It costs salary cap and coaching resources etc that can be better concentrated on players you think are likely to make it.

MacKay is a player with multiple pre-seasons under his belt. You can see why we kept MacKay just by looking at how shallow the draft was this year. People talk about list spots like they are a free hit at a player. They arent. It costs salary cap and coaching resources etc that can be better concentrated on players you think are likely to make it.

Of course it is a free hit, the resources are already in place. There's not a single valid reason to keep a plodder like Mackay on the list in a rebuild. If we had one less spot last year it may have been Keays that didn't get a crack. This is rudimentary stuff. And especially this year where half the draft pool didn't play a game.

Well that's a bummer for the youngsters striving for a spot Round 1. Now official.

One game, less travel: AFL revises AAMI Community Series fixture
The AFL has released a revamped fixture for the AAMI Community Series to protect community and industry safety

The structure of the pre-season will see each team participate in the following:

• One Pre-Season Practice Match
    • Scheduled by the AFL, to be played against a team in the same State, to be held across the last week in February.
    • Teams to decide on the format of each game including number of players, number of quarters, quarter length etc.
  • One 2021 AAMI Community Series Match
    • AFL-sanctioned pre-season matches will be held from Wednesday, March 3 to Sunday, March 7 2021.
    • Format and game length as per those in place for the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.
    • The updated fixture and ticketing arrangements for the 2021 AAMI Community Series will be advised in due course with all clubs to have a minimum seven-day break between pre-season practice matches and the AAMI Community Series

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that's a bummer for the youngsters striving for a spot Round 1. Now official.

The AFL has released a revamped fixture for the AAMI Community Series to protect community and industry safety
I reckon we'll use the first one as an U23 game, then the best from that will play the next week.

Should play 6 quarters. Agree that the kids play the first 2 and if any show a bit, give them another in the 3rd or 4th when the more likelies are playing.

2 things:

1) I like the AFLs initiative to do the 1+1 pre-season and give clubs some flexibility.

2) is there a current day counter running since the last time someone ****ed up at the club? Scandal-free Adelaide is as anxiety-inducing as an Adelaide team that shows up to preseason looking relatively fit. To be fit AND scandal free? Get your brooms because something big clearly needs sweeping under rhe rug.

it must have been quite the shock.

considering it’s not even close to being true
Well when you’re right you’re right, turns out the more then coke part isn’t true. Last time I trust my bartender without a fact check.

But your numbers seem to be off from what I found, it’s actually very close. 10.6g/100ml for coke vs 8.6g/100ml for Tonic water as per the link below.

Still certainly not a beverage you should Binge drink.

Last edited:
Betts are off you’ve got some explaining to do
Yeah, I checked it out and ‘the more then coke’ part was apparently a tall bartenders tale. But the numbers aren’t that far off.

10.6g/100ml for coke vs 8.6g/100ml got Tonic. Still a lot more sugar then you would expect

EDIT: I just did a bit of research and it varies all the way from 11.46 down too the low 7’s from the 3-4 mins I just put into it.

Bottom line, don’t binge drink G&T’s if you can help it

Last edited:
Not great for the calories either,but very tasty.

Highballs are just whiskey and soda water.

In the US they call soda water seltzer. RTD 'hard seltzers' have been pretty big over there for some time, consumers still wanting to get pissed but looking for a lower calorie option. This summer there have been a heap of 'hard seltzers' hit the market here now.

Whiskey highballs are big in Japan, RTDs also.

Highballs are just whiskey and soda water.

In the US they call soda water seltzer. RTD 'hard seltzers' have been pretty big over there for some time, consumers still wanting to get pissed but looking for a lower calorie option. This summer there have been a heap of 'hard seltzers' hit the market here now.

Whiskey highballs are big in Japan, RTDs also.
I thought highballs were made with ginger ale ??

My bad.

My wife drinks those hard seltzers, haven't had one myself.

Not much of a gin drinker, but Applewood do make a good drop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back