Training 2021 Pre-Season Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I would love to know if a Jack watts type came up today, if modern day recruiters would still have him number 1?

Or whether their scouting techniques and skills have advanced to the point where they'd identify more clearly the issues he would end up having in the game.

Jack Watts career as s**t as it was compared to the hype he had will be better than McAseys . Write that down😜

M.Crouch and Doedee got through the main training session.

Also noted Berry training with the stronger blue side, so talk of him getting a call-up to the main practice match.

Berry turning heads!

I love it
So he’s a blue berry now.
I’ll see myself out.

Hopefully Rahilly can turn Tex around like he did Hawkins. I remember Hawkins turning into a potato at one point but came good again

Hawkins had an ongoing lower back issue. Couldn't bend down at one point. They resolved that and he returned to the player he was. Reckon he was a bit younger than Tex though. Tex's issue is exactly the same as Thommo's. His body is battered and broken down. I doubt there's a coaching solution for that or even a rehab solution. I did a graph on Thommo's 2015 b&f votes that showed his declining performance as consecutive games progressed and improvement directly after a non-game week. 2016 he was just cooked, but started brilliantly after preseason, but couldn't recover even with a couple of forced rests and literally limped to the finish. This will be Tex after a few rounds.

Hately and Doedee in the SANFL side. Thilthorpe and Berry with the AFL it looks like.
I would have liked to see Worrell get an opportunity, I think he has done enough in the internal trial and last weeks game to warrant an audition in the AFL side

I would love someone to ask Burns or Nicks why Murray over Worrell at this stage?

Hopefully Worrell is getting good feedback from the coaches as why a player not yet on our list or selected in the draft has jumped him in the pecking order....

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hawkins had an ongoing lower back issue. Couldn't bend down at one point. They resolved that and he returned to the player he was. Reckon he was a bit younger than Tex though. Tex's issue is exactly the same as Thommo's. His body is battered and broken down. I doubt there's a coaching solution for that or even a rehab solution. I did a graph on Thommo's 2015 b&f votes that showed his declining performance as consecutive games progressed and improvement directly after a non-game week. 2016 he was just cooked, but started brilliantly after preseason, but couldn't recover even with a couple of forced rests and literally limped to the finish. This will be Tex after a few rounds.
I think Tex has been around 10kg too heavy for his body since the beginning of 2018. If you look back at photo's from him on grand final day he looks noticeably way thinner through his core.

Going over his stats between 2014-2017 and he was just a completely different player when he had that physique. Since then he's been running at roughly 2/3rd's of his output in pretty much every major category (See below).

Disposals/gameGoals/gameMarks/gameContested Marks/gameMarks I50/gameI50/gameGoal Assists
2014-2017 (84 games)10.32.36.61.52.53.61.14
2018-2020 (50 games)7.11.74.11.31.42.70.48
% Variation-31%-24%-38%-15%-44%-25%-58%

I know we were a much better team and he's dealt with a few injuries and all, but he's never looked even remotely that mobile since the start of 2018, not even close. And IMO its dramatically effected his ability to impact games!

I think Tex has been around 10kg too heavy for his body since the beginning of 2018. If you look back at photo's from him on grand final day he looks noticeably way thinner through his core.

Going over his stats between 2014-2017 and he was just a completely different player when he had that physique. Since then he's been running at roughly 2/3rd's of his output in pretty much every major category (See below).

Disposals/gameGoals/gameMarks/gameContested Marks/gameMarks I50/gameI50/gameGoal Assists

I know we were a much better team and he's dealt with a few injuries and all, but he's never looked even remotely that mobile since the start of 2018. Not even close!
Have you got his playing weight to go with your stats above to demonstrate this isn't just related to age / team performance?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you got his playing weight to go with your stats above to demonstrate this isn't just related to age / team performance?
Admittedly i'm basing this off the eye test. As I don't take much out of what the club lists as a players playing weight, they are almost never changed on any format that i've found.

But tell me, does Tex look like this anymore?

1614897929690.png

Last edited:

I know we were a much better team and he's dealt with a few injuries and all, but he's never looked even remotely that mobile since the start of 2018, not even close. And IMO its dramatically effected his ability to impact games!

Tex was at a similar height/weight distribution prior. He's been 10 kg too big since his ACL where he tried to reinvent himself as more of a contested beast.

It's likely his output dropped because we dropped heavily during that period. Also 2020 had reduced game time which needs to be accounted for.

Tex was at a similar height/weight distribution prior. He's been 10 kg too big since his ACL where he tried to reinvent himself as more of a contested beast.

It's likely his output dropped because we dropped heavily during that period. Also 2020 had reduced game time which needs to be accounted for.
I have no doubt our team performance was a factor (although there is a bit of a chicken egg thing there), but have a look at his 2017 highlights for yourself. IMO he looks a lot freer and lighter. Especially around his core.

5 years...... You've got to be joking

I'd rather give him 5 years than Brad but ****

Surely this means we aren't doing it for Matt too.

How many times do we need these ridiculously long contracts biting us in the arse, before we learn the lesson?
  • Betts
  • Jenkins
  • Sloane
Need I go on?

*** To be perfectly clear - I 100% applaud the news that the club is looking to re-sign Laird, but 5 ****ing years?

How many times do we need these ridiculously long contracts biting us in the arse, before we learn the lesson?
  • Betts
  • Jenkins
  • Sloane
Need I go on?

I'm pretty sure every single one of our older players has been totally cooked in the final year of their long contract, and often we have given them an additional year (or more) on top of that

I'm pretty sure every single one of our older players has been totally cooked in the final year of their long contract, and often we have given them an additional year (or more) on top of that
Some were almost done when they signed them

This time last year we were signing Brad Crouch, so I'll hold fire until it's confirmed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back