Training 2021 Pre-Season Training Discussion

I think this is Kelly v Milera

What a skirmish, I'm surprised no firearms were brandished, or the camp wasn't mentioned

I enjoyed how confused Burns was when the media mentioned a scuffle in his press conference.

Also, quietly, how good is it that it was Milera who agitated that. Kudos to Kelly as well for not taking it either.

bootrossbootross

minor rules infractor
Jan 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hey all, been a lurker for way too long. Thought I’d finally create a profile and bestow you with some knowledge.

Player’s measurements have been updated on the AFL app, and nowhere else as of yet. Thought I’d post this because a lot of people were referencing incorrect measurements last year. Which I can only assume is because the AFC website is 2 years out of date for some reason.

Here is a bunch of our younger/inexperienced players who are a notable difference from last year.

Chayce Jones
181cm 81kg
180cm 83kg
-1cm +2kg

Shane Mcadam
183cm 82kg
183cm 79kg
-3kg

Harry Schoenberg
181cm 83kg
182cm 86kg
+1cm +3kg

Lachlan Sholl
187cm 82kg
186cm 80kg
-1cm -2kg

Fischer Mcasey
196cm 89kg
196cm 96kg
+7kg

Ned McHenry
178cm 75kg
179cm 73kg
+1cm -2kg

Will Hamill
187cm 75kg
187cm 80kg
+5kg

Jordon Butts
198cm 89kg
198cm 97kg
+8kg

Lachlan Gollant
191cm 70kg
192cm 83kg
+1cm +13kg

Josh Worrell
193cm 86kg
194cm 94kg
+1cm +8kg

Ronin O’connor
190cm 84kg
191cm 92kg
+1cm +8kg

Ben Keays
185cm 87kg
185cm 89kg
+2kg

Jackson Hately
190cm 83kg
191cm 91kg
+1cm +8kg

Mitch Hinge
190cm 89kg
190cm 91kg
+2kg

Riley Thilthorpe
201cm 100kg
201cm 102kg
+2kg

Brayden Cook
189cm 82kg
190cm 85kg
+1cm +3kg

Sam Berry
181cm 80kg
182cm 83kg
+1cm +3kg

James Rowe
173cm 71kg
173cm 76kg
+5kg

James Borlase
192cm 93kg
192cm 98kg
+5kg

Few thoughts:

Few anomalies like players losing height and or weight probably just explained by error and natural variation.

Good to see most of our young inside mids bulking up. Really gives players like Hately, Keays, and O’Connor a point of difference from Sloane, crouch, laird. Hopefully allows Jones to be more competitive in the contest.

I suspected Hately’s weight of 83kg was wrong last year because there’s no way he put on 8kg over the off-season.

Very happy all of our young KPD’s have stacked on the muscle. We need them to be more competitive this year. Wasn’t sure Butts had it in him given how skinny he was when drafted. I’m bullish on him personally.

Hamill put on some good weight.

Sholl’s and Mchenry’s weight loss seems a little odd. They both look more muscular than last year.

Thilthorpe is huuuuuge

Borlase is an absolute tank
Why doesnt the Womens comp publish weights? A great chance to show equality missed, and I want to know who the brusiers are.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Why doesnt the Womens comp publish weights? A great chance to show equality missed, and I want to know who the brusiers are.

Because likely they're on a hiding to nothing. Women spend way too much time justifying whatever weight they sit at, along with the constant pressure to "lose weight" whether they need to or not. Academically I'd love to know, but then every idiot troll would say "fat bitch LOL", so forget it. If you want to know who the bruisers are, watch the game.

bootrossbootross

minor rules infractor
Jan 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Because likely they're on a hiding to nothing. Women spend way too much time justifying whatever weight they sit at, along with the constant pressure to "lose weight" whether they need to or not. Academically I'd love to know, but then every idiot troll would say "fat b*tch LOL", so forget it. If you want to know who the bruisers are, watch the game.

That is an inherently misogynistic view imho (dare i say systemic gender discrimination bias), but you are probably right.

Height and weight are important stats in this game, if we want an equality based society where gender et al is not an issue then we have to get over these type of false economies where we think we are doing the right thing by protecting people we think cant look after themselves.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Some gifs from the trial.

Luke Pedlar throws Sholl aside and bursts from the contest.
C9n0xHf.gif

Luke Pedlar gets through Laird's tackle easily
CmTUE73.gif

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
if we want an equality based society where gender et al is not an issue then we have to get over these type of false economies where we think we are doing the right thing by protecting people we think cant look after themselves.

Righto.

Can we get paid the same as men?
No.
Can we stop being killed at the rate of about 1 per week because of domestic violence?
No.
Can you stop sexually assaulting us, or even raping us in the securest building in Australia?
No.
Well, for *'s sake, is there anything you plan to do?
Yes, we're going to tell everyone how much you weigh. Then we'll be equal!

giphy.gif

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Some gifs from the trial.

Luke Pedlar throws Sholl aside and bursts from the contest.
C9n0xHf.gif

Luke Pedlar gets through Laird's tackle easily
CmTUE73.gif

Luke Pedlar is driving both of these vehicles

tenor.gif

That is an inherently misogynistic view imho (dare i say systemic gender discrimination bias), but you are probably right.

Height and weight are important stats in this game, if we want an equality based society where gender et al is not an issue then we have to get over these type of false economies where we think we are doing the right thing by protecting people we think cant look after themselves.

I wouldn't say this is a false economy at all. It's very well documented that this happens and this affects people i.e. from five days ago, it came up again: https://www.sbs.com.au/news/the-feed/ex-tennis-star-jelena-dokic-fires-back-at-body-shaming-trolls.

Whilst it would be nice from an academic point of view, it is just going to lead to bullying at this point in time, and for no genuine gain whatsoever.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Righto.

No.
Can we stop being killed at the rate of about 1 per week because of domestic violence?
No.
Can you stop sexually assaulting us, or even raping us in the securest building in Australia?
No.
Well, for fu**'s sake, is there anything you plan to do?

giphy.gif
Well I know you are not referring to professional tennis then as women per minute of play at all grand slam events earn far far more than men

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Well I know you are not referring to professional tennis then as women per minute of play at all grand slam events earn far far more than men

Let's see... there are 7.5B people in the world so probably 3.7B women, and let's say 1,000 professional female tennis players.

I'm glad you agree it would be silly of me to concern myself with the 1/3,750,000 woman who get paid well for what they do.

bootrossbootross

minor rules infractor
Jan 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Righto.

No.
No.
No.
Well, for fu**'s sake, is there anything you plan to do?

giphy.gif

Not sure the hostility is warranted. Plenty to unpack here but i cant see that being constructive.

The fact the suggestion that the semi professional, top tier players in the W-AFL should have their weights listed in the contact sport of Aussie Rules triggers such a reaction suggest a mirror is in order.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not sure the hostility is warranted. Plenty to unpack here but i cant see that being constructive.

The fact the suggestion that the semi professional, top tier players in the W-AFL should have their weights listed in the contact sport of Aussie Rules triggers such a reaction suggest a mirror is in order.

Are you suggesting that Deaneus is fat??

bootrossbootross

minor rules infractor
Jan 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wouldn't say this is a false economy at all. It's very well documented that this happens and this affects people i.e. from five days ago, it came up again: https://www.sbs.com.au/news/the-feed/ex-tennis-star-jelena-dokic-fires-back-at-body-shaming-trolls.

Whilst it would be nice from an academic point of view, it is just going to lead to bullying at this point in time, and for no genuine gain whatsoever.

There are multitudes of examples of negativity/bullying/trolling on any topic. Further giving those views air time is exactly what we shouldnt do if we ever want to stop it. Some people are actually <insert here>ists, some are troll junkies, and that is never, ever going to change. What can change is how the reasonable people choose to treat this, fwiw personally i think ignoring (not censoring or piling on) is usually the best way, and arguing and counterarguing about minor issues is never going to achieve anything positive.

All that said I restate again i think your take is right, and its a shame. The weights should be published and it shouldnt raise an eyebrow anywhere, and if it does those eyebrows can be ignored.

Why? Have you never looked at height/weight stats for male players?

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Let's see... there are 7.5B people in the world so probably 3.7B women, and let's say 1,000 professional female tennis players.

I'm glad you agree it would be silly of me to concern myself with the 1/3,750,000 woman who get paid well for what they do.
you were blanket generic - how dare I provide a legitimate example of top end professional sport where women DO earn more than men

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
There are multitudes of examples of negativity/bullying/trolling on any topic. Further giving those views air time is exactly what we shouldnt do if we ever want to stop it. Some people are actually <insert here>ists, some are troll junkies, and that is never, ever going to change. What can change is how the reasonable people choose to treat this, fwiw personally i think ignoring (not censoring or piling on) is usually the best way, and arguing and counterarguing about minor issues is never going to achieve anything positive.

All that said I restate again i think your take is right, and its a shame. The weights should be published and it shouldnt raise an eyebrow anywhere, and if it does those eyebrows can be ignored.

Why? Have you never looked at height/weight stats for male players?

Sure. Women’s weights should be published but thank god they won’t, because we’re not collectively woke enough.

Let’s all move on now.

Back