Training 2021 Pre-Season Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Concussion test

Adelaide Football Club. Established 1860
May 19, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I really need to know what all these coaches see. I mean, it's not an anomaly, every single coach that's gone through the AFC have said the same thing.
Hypnosis is still the only explanation I can think of.

Please coaching staff and match committee, look away when Dmac dangles his grandfather's gold pocket watch in front of you.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
1614115736189.png

He was discussing Crouch though ?

He was, but Laird also being OOC does impact resigning Crouch as well. You can probably only justify signing one of those two to a long contract this year.

After all, Laird is the other experienced body in our midfield, and he has enough flexibility to get out of the way once our next gen really takes shape. Crouch does not.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
He was, but Laird also being OOC does impact resigning Crouch as well. You can probably only justify signing one of those two to a long contract.

After all, Laird is the other experienced body in our midfield, and he has enough flexibility to get out of the way once our next gen really takes shape.
I'd keep Laird in the midfield and ship out Crouch .....as Rendell said, he should be setting players up, freeing them up .....but he still puts players in trouble, too much for my liking

Nice to have, but not a must have

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Would have thought Crouch would be worth more than Laird in a trade. (if we don't * it up)

EDIT. Bah Free Agency. I forgot about that. I guess it's compo.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
For what its worth, I predict Matt is going to have a almost career best season this year. Looks as physically strong as i've ever seen him, especially through the chest and arms, seemed to have bought into the gameplan towards the back half of last year. And doesn't have his brother standing next to him, which I genuinely think has never helped either one of them to play at their best. Far too similar!

Having said all that, I still think at years end, he's the logical player to leave via free agency. At his age and experience, if he plays that way this year he could be in for a very handsome payday from a rival club. The kind of payday that we wont even consider matching in a rebuild!

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Crouch would need to have a career best year to receive anything better than we got for Brad (and I rate Matt over Brad at their best). We will get screwed again if he leaves imo.

If we could get 1st round comp then I'd be all for it. 2 high end picks this year will be gold and see out our rebuild.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Crouch would need to have a career best year to receive anything better than we got for Brad (and I rate Matt over Brad at their best). We will get screwed again if he leaves imo.

If we could get 1st round comp then I'd be all for it. 2 high end picks this year will be gold and see out our rebuild.
I have a feeling that this year is the final year of the 'draft heavy stage' of the rebuild, and as such we will need to probably let Crouch or Laird or even both go to execute our 'plan A' strategy. They are the last of the high value yet strangely expendable assets that we have from the previous era. And we have a stable of young players coming through who desperately want their midfield rotation, as well as Sloane and Keays to provide some bigger experienced bodies if they left.

At this point I'm mentally preparing for them both not being here in 2022. And just hoping they both have AA /career best years on the way out!

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I don't mind Rendell but to suggest we should only offer Crouch two years is stupid. I didn't hear the whole discussion so maybe there was more to it.

You offer fringe players two years, Crouch is an established decent player. If we keep him or not is a seperate discussion but if we want to try and keep him then two years is laughable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
I don't mind Rendell but to suggest we should only offer Crouch two years is stupid. I didn't hear the whole discussion so maybe there was more to it.

You offer fringe players two years, Crouch is an established decent player. If we keep him or not is a seperate discussion but if we want to try and keep him then two years is laughable.
I wasn't aware Matt Rendell had ever held the position of List Manager at any club....ever?

My recollection is Matt at the end of his football career was a Saints assistant coach under Grant Thomas and then when not wanted by Ross Lyon took up the job as the Crows recruiting manager until terminated. Then took up a position at the Pies as a scout under Derek Hines?

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I wasn't aware Matt Rendell had ever held the position of List Manager at any club....ever?

My recollection is Matt at the end of his football career was a Saints assistant coach under Grant Thomas and then when not wanted by Ross Lyon took up the job as the Crows recruiting manager until terminated. Then took up a position at the Pies as a scout under Derek Hines?
Listening to Rendell in the media last year kind of made me understand why he got the flick.

Two years for Matt Crouch would be perfect, because it'd give us the option to move him along at 27 when he still has currency, if our younger midfielders have shown they are up to it.

However that sort of deal in the current landscape won't work

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Listening to Rendell in the media last year kind of made me understand why he got the flick.
Me too, seems to be craving attention with a lot of over the the top comments and ramblings, that's just my opinion, others may disagree, that's fine.

IMO he should stick to something he's quite good at in general....U18 talent identification.

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Two years for Matt Crouch would be perfect, because it'd give us the option to move him along at 27 when he still has currency, if our younger midfielders have shown they are up to it.

However that sort of deal in the current landscape won't work
Exactly. From a pure football / list management point of view, of course 2 years makes sense. It just doesn't make sense in the real world. An offer of 2 years = "see ya later".

- Now, some might say that's acceptable, because compo, but what does that do to the mentality of the playing group, especially the younger players, when you offer someone who is currently just about your best player, a 2 year contract at the age of 25/26?

Really dumb idea from Rendell.

Exactly. From a pure football / list management point of view, of course 2 years makes sense. It just doesn't make sense in the real world. An offer of 2 years = "see ya later".

- Now, some might say that's acceptable, because compo, but what does that do to the mentality of the playing group, especially the younger players, when you offer someone who is currently just about your best player, a 2 year contract at the age of 25/26?

Really dumb idea from Rendell.

It's just the business of football at the end of the day.

If you're one of our young midfielders (Berry/Pedlar/Schoenberg/Hately etc), you are most likely sad that you're losing a key part of your formative years, but quietly ecstatic that we've offered Matt Crouch a two-year contract because that is the biggest indication we can give that we absolutely believe in your group and your potential in particular. That we're willing to undercut one of the major roadblocks to get more of you into our best 22 is a massive show of faith from the club.

The rest, it's hard to say, on one hand, it's a pretty big indication the club believes our kids are the club at that point. It does indicate some short term pain, however. They all have to face the cold reality that football is a business at some point, and you give them too little credit, a good number of them have already faced it with Brad Crouch.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
He made a comment that Darcy Moore should be a ruck. I don't understand the logic of that.
He also had U18's Max Heath as almost the 2nd coming of Dean Cox off of a couple of U18 trial games.....Didn't even get a rookie spot....think he needs to temper some of his opinions a tad (insert reality).

Big Dub

All Australian
Feb 8, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's just the business of football at the end of the day.

If you're one of our young midfielders (Berry/Pedlar/Schoenberg/Hately etc), you are most likely sad that you're losing a key part of your formative years, but quietly ecstatic that we've offered Matt Crouch a two-year contract because that is the biggest indication we can give that we absolutely believe in your group and your potential in particular. That we're willing to undercut one of the major roadblocks to get more of you into our best 22 is a massive show of faith from the club.

The rest, it's hard to say, on one hand, it's a pretty big indication the club believes our kids are the club at that point. It does indicate some short term pain, however. They all have to face the cold reality that football is a business at some point, and you give them too little credit, a good number of them have already faced it with Brad Crouch.
I'm not sure that's how the younger midfielders would see it.

On the one hand, you have Matt Crouch taking the best defensive midfielder from the opposition (instead of the young mids), providing protection and passing on knowledge/ experience in-game. Leads to better development of the young mids, and then he is out after (say) four seasons.

On the other hand, you have a gun mid that the Crows will select with Crouch/ compo trade that will compete with the existing young mids for the rest of their career at the Crows.

I also think that keeping Crouch gets us competitive sooner, so we aren't conditioning a young team to losing (like Carlton, Melbourne and Gold Coast) that delays our rise up the ladder. This also makes playing more fun for the kids, helping to retain them (which gets us competitive sooner).

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I think some are getting a bit carried away with Rory Laird the midfielder off such a small sample, he looks very promising but let's see him back it up over a period of time just yet.

I'm not sure that's how the younger midfielders would see it.

On the one hand, you have Matt Crouch taking the best defensive midfielder from the opposition (instead of the young mids), providing protection and passing on knowledge/ experience in-game. Leads to better development of the young mids, and then he is out after (say) four seasons.

On the other hand, you have a gun mid that the Crows will select with Crouch/ compo trade that will compete with the existing young mids for the rest of their career at the Crows.

I also think that keeping Crouch gets us competitive sooner, so we aren't conditioning a young team to losing (like Carlton, Melbourne and Gold Coast) that delays our rise up the ladder. This also makes playing more fun for the kids, helping to retain them (which gets us competitive sooner).

I wouldn't consider moving on Matt now (maybe Laird, but not Matt). Ideally we'd make that decision in 2-3 years but with the way contracting works there is no way we will be able to offer Matt that sort of deal

Back