hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Because he's talking about not gifting games to the kids when that's exactly what he's been doing with our senior players, Tex included. He just allowed Sloane to retain the captaincy despite his form being absolutely putrid so any talk of meritocracy rings hollow.
Sloane's form toward the back half wasnt putrid, he's just not what he was.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
"If a younger player who is 18 is good enough to push Tex out, then goodness me we’d be silly not to play that kid. At the moment that’s not happening."

Imagine being Thilthorpe and hearing this s**t after you've just kicked for goals in the reserves. Way to kill a guys motivation Nicksy you bald headed stooge.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
"If a younger player who is 18 is good enough to push Tex out, then goodness me we’d be silly not to play that kid. At the moment that’s not happening."

Imagine being Thilthorpe and hearing this sh*t after you've just kicked for goals in the reserves. Way to kill a guys motivation Nicksy you bald headed stooge.
You realise there's 2 other spots in the forwardline he could play.....

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Didn't you hear Burns presser? He said Thilthorpe might get games later in the year. It doesn't sound to me like they are gong to fast track him.
And for that I'm glad .....too many clubs have screwed their KPP Draftees by playing them too early ....of course we want to see the shiny new toy ....but why the rush in 2021, as a bottom 4 side

This is a repeat of the public and supporters demand to play Tex Walker at the start of his career .....the inconsistencies the club wanted to eradicate from his game, were never eradicated

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
This is a repeat of the public and supporters demand to play Tex Walker at the start of his career .....the inconsistencies the club wanted to eradicate from his game, were never eradicated
This is rubbish. He was a complete footballer in 2012 before doing his knee.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
And for that I'm glad .....too many clubs have screwed their KPP Draftees by playing them too early ....of course we want to see the shiny new toy ....but why the rush in 2021, as a bottom 4 side

They've been public before about wanting to get his body and groins in slightly better condition before they play him too.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
They've been public before about wanting to get his body and groins in slightly better condition before they play him too.
A commonsense approach .....we want 15 years from the guy, get him right for a long career

I'm not really concerned about exactly who plays, but I'm very concerned about the philosophy.

If Tex is prioritized over Thilthorpe because Thilthorpe's body isn't right, that's fine. Say so.

Saying an 18 year old won't get in the side until he outperforms a 200 game, 400 goal veteran is concerning

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
I'm not really concerned about exactly who plays, but I'm very concerned about the philosophy.

If Tex is prioritized over Thilthorpe because Thilthorpe's body isn't right, that's fine. Say so.

Saying an 18 year old won't get in the side until he outperforms a 200 game, 400 goal veteran is concerning
You do realise that there's a difference between saying that Tex will be picked until he's overtaken, and saying that Thilthorpe won't get a game?

Right now, there is only 1 KPF who is certain of being selected for R1 - Tex, and rightly so given that he's been easily the best performed forward in our trial matches this year. There are 2 positions which are still up for grabs, with Fog/Berg/Billy/Thilthorpe all very much still in the running.

If I were picking the R1 team, based on the 3 trial matches to date, I'd be picking Tex, Thilthorpe & Billy. Fog & Berg haven't done anywhere near enough in the trial games to justify being selected ahead of the other 3.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Didn't you hear Burns presser? He said Thilthorpe might get games later in the year. It doesn't sound to me like they are gong to fast track him.
Burns is the defence coach yeah ??

Also, it's just a few words. There's no doubt he'll play early in the year, but this way the hype dies down

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CrowBox89

Debutant
Aug 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thilthorpe didn’t look to have his time on ground managed or being told to not get on his bike up the ground, for a bloke with supposed sore groins I can’t see it and just seems like an excuse to not play him. If they are really that bad, he should have only played a half. Must play at AFL level not in the SANFL

Tex's form in the trial matches has been good but I fully expect him to regress back to the putrid garbage he was dishing out last year as soon as the season proper starts.

Most likely. Key forward in a side that's going to have the s**t kicked out of them consistently is not exactly a recipe for good, consistent performance.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
"2021 SANFL Trial Match Adelaide Crows Vs Port Adelaide Power" on YouTube

Really liked our pressure on the powaa ball carrier. Standouts for mine were Thilthorpe, Berry, Himmelberg, Worrell, Newchurch, Hinge.

Last edited:
May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
If I were picking the R1 team, based on the 3 trial matches to date, I'd be picking Tex, Thilthorpe & Billy. Fog & Berg haven't done anywhere near enough in the trial games to justify being selected ahead of the other 3.
That isn't even up for debate as far as I'm concerned. Based on the trial games, those three are objectively our best performing tall forwards. I think Fog and Berg have more talent than Frampton but they haven't been getting it done for whatever reason.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tex's form in the trial matches has been good but I fully expect him to regress back to the putrid garbage he was dishing out last year as soon as the season proper starts.
If Walker kicks more than 20-25 goals for the year I will be surprised. Practice matches are meaningless. Let's see how he performs when the heat is on for 4 points. Thilthorpe and Himmelberg should be in the team round 1 if we are serious about winning games. If not and they are going for pick 1 then play Fogarty and Frampton.

Holding Thilthorpe back btw makes about as much sense as what they did to Tom Doedee by not playing him for 18 months when he most definitely was ready. The club has a very poor attitude to young players and have for some time.

Last edited:

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Spot on, add Frampton to that too.

No one here thinks Billy will maintain this form, so there's 2 spots available.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
If McAsey was a fifth year player not performing then the criticism might be fair.

He’s been in the system a little over 12 months. Be realistic. Talia wasn’t ready to debut until round 15 in his 2nd year at the club, Doedee at the start of his 3rd year, has it held either of them back long term?

Hysterical nonsense from people writing him off at this point. I don’t care what he’s doing in game 1-10, I care what he’s doing in game 50-250. Give the kid time. It’s not his fault the club have cleared out so much experience meaning we’ll probably have to use him this year, even if he might not be 100% ready.
I totally agree with this... but the issue for me is that the kid hasnt re-signed yet..

I would love nothing more than to see them put him back in the Sanfl until he builds confidence and develops his game against the bigger bodies... but doing so will probably see vic teams come after him harder thinking the crows dont value him and the lad himself start thinking he’s not wanted..

Between a rock and a hard place really..

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
If Walker kicks more than 20-25 goals for the year I will be surprised. Practice matches are meaningless. Let's see how he performs when the heat is on for 4 points. Thilthorpe and Himmelberg should be in the team round 1 if we are serious about winning games. If not and they are going for pick 1 then play Fogarty and Frampton.

Holding Thilthorpe back btw makes about as much sense as what they did to Tom Doedee by not playing him for 18 months when he most definitely was ready. The club has a very poor attitude to young players and have for some time.
Let's see what the Forwards supply is like more generally before shitcanning any of them.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers

Imagine being Thilthorpe and hearing this sh*t after you've just kicked for goals in the reserves. Way to kill a guys motivation Nicksy you bald headed stooge.
What worries me is that we will then apply the same logic to every other position.

Reporter: "Given your current rebuilding position, I'm interested to know why Hamill has played SANFL the last few weeks, while David Mackay is playing AFL. Shouldn't you be developing the kids?"

Nicks: "I'm sorry but if Will wants to play on the wing, he has to be able to outperform young Dave Mackay, and that simply isn't happening at the moment. We need the kids to earn their spot. We don't gift games"

Reporter: "But Will had 25 disposals and 3 goals on the weekend. He's been in excellent form, while Mackay has averaged 13 disposals a game"

Nicks: "Ah, but that's 13 disposals at AFL level. Will had zero disposals at AFL level last week, so clearly Mackay outperformed him. As such Mackay gets picked. Simple..."

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Spot on, add Frampton to that too.

No one here thinks Billy will maintain this form, so there's 2 spots available.
I wouldn't be surprised if Port let him kick 6 this week, knowing we will be stupid enough to believe it and to lock him in for the next 4 weeks based purely on that game. Would be great gamesmanship from them

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Practice matches are meaningless.

This.

This tenfold.

I’ve said it maybe 100 times on this board. You have to make judgement calls with kids. If it was as formulaic as watching their form in trial games and the SANFL, you could design a software algorithm to take care of selection.

Back